Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

cloth diapering foster kiddos and abuse allegations

i know this has been discussed in the past but i wanted to discuss this aspect of it. i have been CDing dfs since he came to us and i haven't worried too much because his mom has never changed a diaper at a visit until recently they just got lengthened and she changed him twice. anyway, we have had various problems from yeast to clogged glands that looked like little white dots on his penis? i took him to the ped for these problems and they were resolved quickly. his mom has never come to the appointments but has now vowed she will be at every one. she does not know we cd but the ped and social worker does. this past week he had what looked like popped blisters on his scrotum which disappeared within a day of sposies and a & d and ultimately i think they were just dry skin patches. also when he gets a red line on his thigh from a diaper it does not go away for a few days and it isn't really red its black. this hasn't happened in a while and i think i got rid of the diapers that were causing it, but i'm still afraid of having to explain black lines on a baby's inner thighs.

so i am contemplating going to sposies. things are really heating up in the case and i do not want to have to explain spots and marks on or near his genitalia. my family thinks i'm being too paranoid and i might be since we just had a discussion about allegations at a foster parent association meeting. i just wanted to hears others thoughts and experiences with this. mom has not really given me any indication that she has ever thought i am not caring for J properly and given that she has asked me to take his siblings i don't think that she believes i would harm him.

thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not familiar with the foster system, but I can understand your concerns. It sounds to me like he is extra sensitive to wetness. How about changing the diaper system you use with him? Maybe you've tried that already...
Good luck Mama. DCF and such makes me so anxious, I can understand your worry
Old 04-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: cloth diapering foster kiddos and abuse allegations

If you are worried I would just switch to disposables for now. Heaven forbid something happen when u were already worried, I would just think it would be simpler to shelf the cloth for a bit. Hope everything works out for your family.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, this makes me hesitate to CD our fds as well. When we got our girls they said they had horrible diaper rash. When I saw it, it really didn't look that bad. All my kids have had a lot worse. I'm not sure if its because I CD them. If I was out and about and a child in cloth didn't get a wet diaper changed, they would have some redness. I have not found that to be the case with sposies and these girls all have sensitive skin. I still think CD is better but I just don't want to have to explain even a slight redness.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Anything to remove the stress and anxiety surrounding foster care...do it.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ManyBoyz View Post
Anything to remove the stress and anxiety surrounding foster care...do it.
i guess this is the bottom line!!! :/ i'm sad i love my diapers darn it!

good thing my preferred sposie brand is cheap...target brand!!! no stinky fragrances and never any leaks. he's doing really good with going on the potty already anyway as long as i put him on the potty frequently...otherwise he will go in his diaper then tell me potty! everyone keeps telling me he's just playing with me because he's so young so i haven't gone full on into PLing yet.

I'm also having trouble not buying more wool for him! There are some disanas on fsot and I want them! Le sigh.

Last edited by newmommy13; 04-29-2013 at 12:37 PM.
newmommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

I always cd at home, but put them in sposies for visits. More so they don't throw out my cloth than anything else. So bios don't even know I cd, so they can't complain.
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris10 View Post
I always cd at home, but put them in sposies for visits. More so they don't throw out my cloth than anything else. So bios don't even know I cd, so they can't complain.
you've never had questions about red marks left on the thighs from CDs or weird rashes?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13

you've never had questions about red marks left on the thighs from CDs or weird rashes?
I've never had either of those problems with my CDs, so I would probably do the same in a foster situation. Use them at home, but send in sposies for visits.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hm maybe he just has very sensitive skin...i just bought a big box of sposies. Blah. Feels odd I've never used sposies on a kiddo FT. oh well I suppose there are worse things lol! #firstworldproblems