Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Talking Woven Wrap newbie update I bought a...

I think I have decided to skip a moby unless I get a killer deal or trade. I am going to go for a woven wrap. From what I have read Girasol's are good for beginners but I am super confused on what size to get.

Pre-preggo size is 135lbs 5'3" I keep seeing sizes 4.2/5 or 4.6/6 are good for average people and will do most wraps. Is that accurate?

Another confusing thing is how many wraps Girasol makes. I like the colors of the Symphuo Fuchsia but don't know if its a good starter wrap?

What are your thoughts mamas?

So I found a one I really like size 6 Girasol Deag Charcoal Weft.

Advertisement

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524

Last edited by NappyChappy; 01-05-2013 at 05:14 PM.
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
MamaRachel
Registered Users
Formerly: *lsilver*
seller

My Mood:
Re: Woven Wrap newbie

My thoughts are in red, I hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NappyChappy View Post
I think I have decided to skip a moby unless I get a killer deal or trade. I am going to go for a woven wrap. From what I have read Girasol's are good for beginners but I am super confused on what size to get.

Pre-preggo size is 135lbs 5'3" I keep seeing sizes 4.2/5 or 4.6/6 are good for average people and will do most wraps. Is that accurate?

yes. At your size you could probably do everything with a size 5, but the extra length of a 6 might make it easier to learn. I would personally go with a 6, but it's a personal preference thing.

Another confusing thing is how many wraps Girasol makes. I like the colors of the Symphuo Fuchsia but don't know if its a good starter wrap?

there are a million Girasol designs, but there are only two different weaves (regular and the new diamond weave. If you don't see it labled DW or diamond weave, it's a reg Girasol) other than that it's just color and pattern differences. Both weaves would be a great starter. If you found a Symphuo Fuchsia in a 5 or 6 go for it!
What are your thoughts mamas?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

I didn't get a Moby and don't regret it. I have a Storch that I use a lot. For something more "poppable" for quick trips when my LO was smaller I used a ring sling. Now I use an Ergo. But for around the house or going for walks I use the woven. It's so comfortable.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
ForevergreenOrganics
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried a gira as my first woven wrap (borrowed from my neighbor)
I ended up buying a storch size 5 as my first wrap and its our go to wrap. So much more supporitave than a gira. I can wear my storch for hours at a time!
ForevergreenOrganics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
Ecdyses
Registered Users
seller

You could prob do either 5 or 6, although a 6 will give you more wriggle room while learning (as you get better at wrapping you often wrap snugged and can use less wrap) and a 6 is easier to find and has better resale value since it is a more "standard" size. I am 5'4" and 130 lb and prefer a 5, but can use a 6 just as well.

As a pp said, there are twill weave and diamond weave Giras. DW is rarer (I have heard here is only one Gira weaver who can make them) and supposedly more supportive. The wrapping qualities do not vary by colorway --- so pick whichever one appeals to you. Some good sources for new Giras in the US are Pax Baby, Granola Babies, and Metro Minis.

One of the confusing thing about Giras as that many patterns are "exclusive" in that they are only woven for one vendor, so you had to buy that colorway from the exclusive vendor if they have them in stock (they are woven in batches for each vendor) or on FSOT. Symphou is I believe a Pax Baby exclusive. If you can catch a preorder, when the vendor is getting ready to order their exclusive from Gira, you can often get a discount on you choice of size and weft (generally each colorway has a few weft choices for the same wrap pattern), but will have to wait a few months while the batch is woven. HTH

If you want to see all of the past exclusives, this site is total eye candy:
http://exclusivegirasol.blogspot.com/?m=0
Ecdyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Woven Wrap newbie update I bought a...

updated with my purchase in first post

Old 01-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
MamaRachel
Registered Users
Formerly: *lsilver*
seller

My Mood:

Beautiful! I hope you love it!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
challmeyeralways
Registered Users
seller
seller

so, did you end up getting Deag? I have one too and LOVE it!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Jewels6708
Registered Users
seller

How do you like your Deag??
Jewels6708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

beautiful, but i havent used it yet. with my newbie ive been using my rs and beco. hate the moby and am worried im not a wrapper. thinking about getting it converted to a rs.