Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Open shelving?

My sister took the doors off her upper cabinets and she loves it. I'm not a fan of the look overall, but she does a good job of maintaining it with nice fiestaware pieces.

I would definitely be concerned about resale value... buyers aren't going to be interested in that look if you're planning on selling in the next few years.

Could you replace it with simple Ikea cabinets and just not do doors or try glass doors? That way you could easily pop regular doors on later if you needed them.

Advertisement

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
toys2teach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am also one that prefers things completely out of site. I like to close the door and not be able to see it. I also think that cabinet/storage space is a huge selling feature for most people and not having the cabinet space they need (since most families are not minimalist) might scare them off a bit!

I like what another poster said though- you can just take the cabinet doors off if you want things more open for while you are living there. When you put the house up for sale just put them back on!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Open shelving is a huge trend right now, as long as you have other ample storage space it shouldn't affect resale negatively. Housetweaking.com is one of my favorite decor blogs and she just redid her kitchen with some gorgeous open walls and shelves
http://www.housetweaking.com/2013/03...n-accessories/
Old 04-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I start by taking the doors off the uppers and storing them (and the hinges, knobs) somewhere handy. Then paint the interiors of the cupboards either bright white or matching your walls. Live with this for a while and see if it works for you. If not (or you decide to list the house) you can just put the doors back on and be done. If you like the open concept as much as you think you will and are SURE your lower cabinets provide enough storage space for a "normal" (not minimalist) family then go ahead and finish tearing out the uppers and installing the open shelving. Its a look I personally LOVE, but I'd never be able to sacrifice that much hidden storage in my kitchen (and its big but we have to separate pantry).
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
photocat
Registered Users

I like having my kitchen stuff out of sight, it means I don't have to dust it either.

But, if you say your kitchen is ugly and a buyer wouldn't like it anyway, I don't see the problem with taking cabinets out. Any prospective buyers in the future would likely thank you for having the take-out-old-kitchen-install-new-one half done for them.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
javafinch
Registered Users
seller

I think right now I'm going to just keep downsizing and put this idea on hold - we have the entire outside of our house to repaint this summer and we just ordered 8 new windows so I guess I should just focus on that for now - but definitely after that I'm going to consider it. I keep looking at them to try to do something that would 'tide me over' There is one area that really bugs me - and that is the microwave and toaster oven - I think if I ripped that out shelf (it's really cobbled - the people who put the kitchen in must have done it themselves!) and then got rid of the toaster oven, moved up the microwave shelf to be level with the bottom of the cabinet to the right, and then opened up that countertop space and got rid of the ugly wallpaper and brightened it up .... that would at least look less cluttered.

javafinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #17
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I have seen that kind of weird cabinet before. Usually it was originally a wall oven cabinet of some kind, where the wall oven was a size that is no longer standard, and they try to make it into something else useful and put a range or wall oven somewhere else.

FWIW, for resale purposes I think a fresh coat of a lighter paint on all the cabinets would make them look just fine and would be a lot less work than taking them out and refinishing the wall. Seriously if you removed the wallpaper and repainted both the walls and the cabinets it would look like a whole new kitchen!

However, if the cabinets are non functional (like the shelves are sagging or there are defects we can't see in the pic), there is a way to do what you envision without totally affecting resale. You can take the uppers out, cover the wall with beadboard/paneling, and put in open shelving like you wanted. Then, if your realtor says open shelving will likely turn off most potential buyers for your house, it is fairly easy to take the shelves down and replace the upper cabinets. If you do it that way (as opposed to refinishing the wall with new drywall or tiling it) it is easy DIY labor that is easy to undo should you need to replace the cabinets.