Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Another hospital birth q - baby care

Will they freak out if I tell them no bath for the baby (I'll bathe him/her myself in my room) and no eye ointment? Will it be a big stink if I refuse them access every two (or was it three?) hours to take all our vitals (hated that w/ Ladybug, neither one of us got any sleep! )? Do I need a pediatrician to sign off on these things or can I just make that clear once we get there (our pediatrician is supportive I just don't know if I have time to get him a "baby plan" to sign off on b/f the birth)?

Grr, these are the last things I want to be worried about right now, there's so much going on.

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Another hospital birth q - baby care

I think the bath thing and the ointment won't be a big deal but the vitals thing will. For me, it was very three hours and they didnt turn on the light which helped. I'm sure you could request that. Once I was off the iv though they didnt come in at all. They barely spoke to me or baby. Jack didn't even wake up if he was sleeping. They also tried to time it while we were up and breast feeding.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The bath and eye ointment is easily refused. Just make sure you have it in your birth plan and tell the nurses so that there is no error. The vital signs is likely non-negotiable though for liability reasons.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've always bathed our own baby, they've had my husband do it. So I assume they wouldn't really care who or when we did it if we made a request. Not sure about eye ointment.

As far as vitals, I don't remember being checked even close to that often. Especially at night, they checked things before bed, and then came in at maybe 5 or 6? It was early whenever it was which was annoying, but they were definitely not coming in every 2-3 hours to check on us.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Bath and ointment shouldn't be an issue. Our vital signs were on schedule for the first day. After that, they would just come in once a night to take them.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Check your state laws regarding the eye ointment. It is state law here in TN and my doula said they will threaten to call CPS if you refuse it The bath I wouldn't think would be a big deal, we plan to decline it as well this time. Although I have read posts on here where nurses threw a fit because they have to treat the baby as a 'biohazard' until it's bath. Vitals, I think they are pretty much going to do whatever is hospital policy there. You can request they not come in overnight. And of course you can refuse when they come in, but if you are already woken up that defeats the purpose.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Ellasundies
Registered Users

With the eye drops it is illegal for nursing staff to not OFFER it to a patient. It's not that they have to ADMINISTER it. Some states (I've heard of NY and Tx)are ultra picky about it and threatening to call CPS. For the most part though you just have to tell them you don't want it and then watch them like a hawk to make sure they don't give it to your baby.

I've heard of nurses giving problems about declining the bath before but if you just want to give it a little later I don't see a problem with that.

As far as the checks go I totally get what your saying. That was the worst part about being in the hospital for me. I don't like sleeping when people are walking in and out of my room with my precious little one laying next to me. I can not sleep in that kind of environment. My hospital births were so stressful and most of that was from the constant people being up your behind. I wouldn't expect that they would be able to decline those checks though from a liability standpoint. Maybe you can see if you can be discharged ASAP after baby is born???
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bathing and eye issues are easy to refuse, it's harder for vitals since they need it for charting. I just asked they didn't wake me if I was sleeping. They respected it.
I always go home before 24hrs. I just let them know and they do their best to get me out of there AsAP!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies View Post
With the eye drops it is illegal for nursing staff to not OFFER it to a patient. It's not that they have to ADMINISTER it. Some states (I've heard of NY and Tx)are ultra picky about it and threatening to call CPS. For the most part though you just have to tell them you don't want it and then watch them like a hawk to make sure they don't give it to your baby.

I've heard of nurses giving problems about declining the bath before but if you just want to give it a little later I don't see a problem with that.

As far as the checks go I totally get what your saying. That was the worst part about being in the hospital for me. I don't like sleeping when people are walking in and out of my room with my precious little one laying next to me. I can not sleep in that kind of environment. My hospital births were so stressful and most of that was from the constant people being up your behind. I wouldn't expect that they would be able to decline those checks though from a liability standpoint. Maybe you can see if you can be discharged ASAP after baby is born???
I don't know what state you or the OP live in and I'm sure it varies, but, yes in TN the law states that the healthcare provider must administer the treatment, not just offer it. And the treatment must occur as soon as possible after birth, within one hour maximum. I wasn't aware of this law until my doula alerted me a few weeks ago after reviewing my birth plan.

Here is the TN law:
http://statutes.laws.com/tennessee/t...art-2/68-5-202
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am pretty certain that that law would not stand up in a court of law. You have the right to refuse any and all treatment.
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote