Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do you prune your tomatoes?

No, I'm just going to have to deal with the cost I think. It's going to be about $4.89 a cage so that's not super bad considering a large tomato cage is running about the same price. Hey if you have the space that you could do a big long row, you could set a few t-posts and run wire between them. This is another method I was considering,and may still do if I get down to it and the cages are too bulky or cost-prohibitive.

http://www.wikihow.com/Tie-up-Tomatoes

I prune the lower branches off completely. LOL A little at a time, I try to do it gradually as they grow. If yours are full grown you'll want to do the same in order to avoid shocking them. Shock can do damage to the fruit set. Just take a couple branches off the bottom, anything that's touching the dirt or a few inches from it. Next week do a little more and so on until they are clear of the ground by a foot.

Advertisement

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 04-29-2013 at 09:52 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #12
CaptainUnderpants'Mom
Registered Users
seller

I can only find 50 ft rolls of 60 inch tall fence for $50. So I think that would only make like 5 cages, so $10 per? The link you referenced recommended cutting a 5 ft wide section of fence for each cage, anyway. I wonder if they could be smaller?

I thought of running wire down a row as you mentioned, but I am going to have like 3 short rows in one place, and 2 short rows in another. And if I am going to have to tie them anyway, I'd probably just stake them.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I've only had one cup of coffee so far but a 50ft roll should make 10 cages if you cut them at 5 ft lengths. Shouldn't it? LOL It was less than that here at our local home depot unless you're looking at the one that's painted/coated. I'm with you, I don't want to spend a bunch of time tying them this summer and worrying about them falling over. That's why I wanted to do the cages.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here's a pic of my trellis, cost about 15 bucks for 2 of em? You do have to have them in a row though or it won't work.
Liz,I've noticed some of my leaves are upside down, does this look normal?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

The short answer, it depends. Some varieties just do that. However, with the leaf browning that follows vein paths I would suspect either they dried out and you watered them heavily or you fed them fertilizer and it was too strong. Nothing that time won't fix. Just try to keep the soil evenly moist and err on the weaker side with fertilizing. I'm no expert though so I'm only speaking from my experience. I would clear the lower leaves up to the top of the marigold heads and then a bit more once they grow another foot. There is already soil on the lower leaves. Soil can spread the fungal diseases that can wipe out the whole row.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #16
CaptainUnderpants'Mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I've only had one cup of coffee so far but a 50ft roll should make 10 cages if you cut them at 5 ft lengths. Shouldn't it? LOL It was less than that here at our local home depot unless you're looking at the one that's painted/coated. I'm with you, I don't want to spend a bunch of time tying them this summer and worrying about them falling over. That's why I wanted to do the cages.
Yeah haha! It's 50' which would make 10, at $5 each. That's the math I had figured earlier when I looked at prices, but when I posted here I got mixed up somehow

Anyway, I think we have decided to do the stake and weave (Florida Weave/San Diego Weave) method as it will take up less space than cages I think, and I believe it might work better with having the plants a little closer so they can shade one another a bit. Our summers here are brutal.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Liz I pulled a few of the bottom ones, at most 2 per bush so it doesn't have a heart attack and I'll get some more next week. We've had a bit of rain, and silly me watered them before it rained the other day so I suspect it may be that.