Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #51
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question re public school problem.....standardized testing.

Here is what my daughter's school sent out...

April 30, 2013
Dear Parents of ZCS Elementary and Middle School Students:
The State Superintendent of Public Instruction halted all ISTEP+ testing this afternoon, Tuesday, April 30. We began noticing issues with the test at around 11:10 AM today. At 11:33AM ZCS Test Coordinator Martha Farley ordered that all ISTEP+ testing stop for the second day in a row in all ZCS elementary and middle schools. (Perhaps you are aware from media reports that the testing company, CTB McGraw Hill, could not adequately support testing yesterday.)
Our teachers, counselors, principals, and support staff members have been helping students put the frustration and inconvenience of this into perspective. Students have been cooperative and resilient in the face of schedule changes and some unexpected waiting during yesterday's testing. We pulled the plug within a half-hour of multiple test delivery failures at various ZCS sites this morning.
I have pasted below the latest press release on this topic from the Indiana Department of Education.
I wanted to be in touch to assure you that we are mindful of the testing validity issues in play with drastically altered test settings (waiting, intermittent question delivery, etc.). Further, I wanted to thank you for sending us children who have taken this unfortunate technical mess in stride. When there is more information about what is next, your principal or I will share it with you.
Meanwhile, learning goes on in ZCS!
Sincerely,
Scott Robison, Superintendent of Schools
Zionsville Community Schools
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
FROM INDIANA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION (Received at 1:43PM today, 4-30-2013)
The Superintendent of Public Instruction has asked that we suspend testing until tomorrow. The ISTEP+ Online system has cut over to the back-up site and the system remains accessible. If you presently have students in the system, students may finish the current test session. However, CTB cannot guarantee that students will be able to test uninterrupted this afternoon. All other testing is expected to begin tomorrow at 7:30 a.m. A message will be sent via this ListServ at approximately 6:00 a.m. tomorrow morning to confirm access to ISTEP+ Online.
The following is the press release we transmitted to the media today:
April 30, 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
daltman@doe.in.gov
Office: (317) 232-0550
Cell: (317) 650-8698
Statement of Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction on ISTEP Testing Errors
INDIANAPOLIS – In response to system errors that prevented schools throughout the state from completing their ISTEP+ testing today, Glenda Ritz, Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction issued the following statement:
“I am greatly disappointed to learn that Indiana schools had their ISTEP+ testing interrupted for a second consecutive day. Like all Hoosier parents, students and teachers, I find these interruptions frustrating and unacceptable.
“We have been constantly monitoring the situation this morning. Between approximately 7:30 and 11:00 over 150,000 test sessions were completed. At approximately 11:15 AM, there was a spike in test interruptions.
“Because of these errors, I have instructed the Department of Education to suspend testing for the remainder of the day. This decision was not made lightly, but was done to minimize further disruptions for our schools. All of our students deserve to take a test that is valid, accurate and reliable.
“At this time, CTB McGraw-Hill believes that testing will be able to continue tomorrow. I will communicate with schools directly regarding the timeframe to resume testing.
“The Indiana Department of Education is working with the company that administers the test to ensure that the rest of the test is administered smoothly and efficiently. We will also conduct a thorough review to determine the exact cause of this issue. Finally, we will also work with local schools so that they have the time they need to administer a fair test for all Hoosier students.”

-30-

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #52
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are some IT guys pulling their hair out right now and planning a sleepless night.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #53
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I asked my principal today about your situation.

His words about summer school...

"I'd flat out tell them no. They can't make him go to summer school." He admitted he isn't up on the I-Read rules because his twins weren't at risk of failing, but he said there is no way he would be willing to send his own kids to summer school in your situation.

Granted, this is the same principal that pulled his 9 children out of public school because he completely disagrees with how their school is run. His kids all go to private school and will come to the middle school I teach at when they are old enough (the oldest is only 11 right now).
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #54
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I asked my principal today about your situation.

His words about summer school...

"I'd flat out tell them no. They can't make him go to summer school." He admitted he isn't up on the I-Read rules because his twins weren't at risk of failing, but he said there is no way he would be willing to send his own kids to summer school in your situation.

Granted, this is the same principal that pulled his 9 children out of public school because he completely disagrees with how their school is run. His kids all go to private school and will come to the middle school I teach at when they are old enough (the oldest is only 11 right now).

Wow, thanks so much, that's so nice of you

The more I thought about it over the weekend the madder I got. There is no reason HE should be punished because of THE SYSTEM.

My plan is to let this ISTEP mess be done with(seems DS might have got his done, but his pal did not.....knowing our luck DS will have to redo it anyway if results didn't get through). Then call and have a big "chat" with the principal. I think I really need to get to the superintendent and find out exactly who is saying that he has to go. I have a feeling Glenda Fritz(sp?) would have a field day with this situation........
Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #55
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
There are some IT guys pulling their hair out right now and planning a sleepless night.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #56
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Seriously, somebody will be fired if it's not up again tomorrow....
Old 04-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #57
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH is a software engineer. People get fired when fonts don't match or things are down for 30 seconds in his company. His guys are just shaking their heads in amazement. They know how many kids have to test. They know what their websites can handle. WTF. It is a $95 million contract. Everyone involved deserves to be fired. Schools were told that tomorrow they could only test 50% of their kids at a time.