Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

azure standard

I just found out we have a drop for about an hour and half away from us. Is it worth it? that would be a half a tankn of gas to go get it. I am trying to get a hold of them to see what it would take to have them come closer to us but I haven't heard back. They are the only drop in MIchigan so far. What do you normally buy?

Is the fresh fruit good by the time it gets to you ? What are the staples that you feel you must have?

thanks

We have an organic store closer to us but it is extremely expensive. so organic is very difficult here.

Advertisement

ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: azure standard

Ok so...my disclaimer: I liked Azure so much that I took over as drop coordinator when ours moved. But I don't get paid or special perks for being the coordinator, I'm just the contact person between the driver and the members and I make sure everyone knows what's going on so everything runs smoothly on drop day.

My drop location is about a 20 minute drive and totally worth it to me. I do a lot of shopping with them! Our orders arrive approximately 3 days after the truck leaves Oregon (I live in Northern California). I have never been disappointed with the quality of the produce and having been the drop coordinator for almost a year now, I can honestly say their customer service is top notch. They try their best to make things right and ensure the customer is happy. The reps are always polite, friendly and courteous.

The only complaint i have is that the way they fill orders sometimes makes me batty. They don't use a back order system of any kind, and although they do try to keep the inventory information updated, it's not 100% accurate. Basically, what that means is, if they are out when they pick your order, they don't charge you, but you don't get dibs on it when it comes in, either. So, you can try again next month if you'd like, but there aren't any promises. I know it's set up that way to ensure you're getting the freshest product possible, but it can be frustrating at times because you just want your items!

They are expanding a lot recently, but I don't know how distribution works. We get our items from Oregon but I suspect your items would come from somewhere closer to you and they may even have different suppliers for some items so they're sourced closer to you. For that kind of information, I would totally call Azure and ask them for the contact information for the drop coordinator for the location you're considering, then call and ask your potential coordinator. They will be able to tell you how long items take to arrive and from where and answer your concerns about produce and stuff. The trucks are refrigerated and also have a freezer compartment, so the thawing of frozen items or spoilage of items requiring refrigeration shouldn't happen just because its being transported.

Like I said, I'm really happy with azure. I get the majority of my groceries there and I love that you can get bulk quantities like 25 or 50 lb sacks of something or a 1lb or 5lb size for a smaller family or just to try. You can buy just a few cans of something or a whole flat. One package, or a case. It really can work for everyone.

Sorry for being so wordy, but I hope it helps.
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

That totally helps. Thanks. I have the bomber for the drop coordinator and also the shipping company. I seem curious if they plan on branching closer to me. We are only twenty minutes from MSU and I'm sure that would be a huge drop location if word got out.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Maybe Azure can tell you what the requirements are (order minimums) for a drop and then when you call the shipping company you can ask about their route and would they be willing to stop nearer to you. If you could get a few friends together to meet the minimums, then you could start your own drop. I'm sure they need the help with setting up drops since they are new to your area anyway. Good luck!!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have an azure drop in our town in Indiana. I know it's a group minimum of $500 for them to make the trip. And$50 minimum per person that orders. I hope that makes sense.

I have been extremely pleased with our items. We order the produce a lot, flours, dried fruit, beans, etc.

Because the trip is so far from Oregon, I've had some produce items not come in tip top shape. (Fresh apricots were smushed on bottom of bag, but the ones on top of bag were fine). I contacted customer service and they gave me a credit for my next order. Our group has never had a bad experience with their customer service. The driver on our route is extremely nice and helpful.

You really cant beat some of their prices for organic produce. Like apples, just over a $1 per pound!
cautiously expecting #4 October 2013
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebeboy03 View Post
We have an azure drop in our town in Indiana. I know it's a group minimum of $500 for them to make the trip. And$50 minimum per person that orders. I hope that makes sense.

I have been extremely pleased with our items. We order the produce a lot, flours, dried fruit, beans, etc.

Because the trip is so far from Oregon, I've had some produce items not come in tip top shape. (Fresh apricots were smushed on bottom of bag, but the ones on top of bag were fine). I contacted customer service and they gave me a credit for my next order. Our group has never had a bad experience with their customer service. The driver on our route is extremely nice and helpful.

You really cant beat some of their prices for organic produce. Like apples, just over a $1 per pound!
Do you mind sharing were your drop is (general area is fine)? I am just south of Louisville and would love to know were a drop area is.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

This link will take you to a .pdf file of the current delivery schedule. You can check & see if there are any drops close to where you live. If I remember correctly, IN drops are in central Indiana near Indianapolis. I looked a long time ago for my sister who lives in Northern IN. They could have expanded since then though. It's been awhile and my sister was just not interested so I didn't check but once. Anyway. I hope it helps.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I call them every year to see if they are getting closer to me and they aren't yet. I have thought about talking to my farmer (he is 2.5 hours from me but does drop point that is only 30 minutes from me) and see if he could talk to them. He has drop locations all over the state (not NJ) and I would LOVE it if he could get them to send a truck out to him if nothing else.

Honestly if my nearest drop point wasn't about 6 hour drive away (one way) I would go there myself and get stuff!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandis View Post
This link will take you to a .pdf file of the current delivery schedule. You can check & see if there are any drops close to where you live. If I remember correctly, IN drops are in central Indiana near Indianapolis. I looked a long time ago for my sister who lives in Northern IN. They could have expanded since then though. It's been awhile and my sister was just not interested so I didn't check but once. Anyway. I hope it helps.
Goodness, thank you for this link! I found one way closer than I expected! Off to spend a small fortune now!
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Would anyone be able to look up the contact info for the Akron Ohio drop? I saw there was a drop there but every time I open the PDF my computer freezes. I emailed Azure a couple days ago and haven't heard back.

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote