Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
rivemi
Registered Users
seller

Prayer for Custody Battle

I recently left a verbally and emotionally abusive husband. I lived in a shelter for 2 weeks until I was able to find my own apartment. He threatened to kill me (while we were together and now denies it) and is now fighting me for custody of our 2 year old daughter.

While we were married our DD and I were nothing but a burden to him. If she and I weren't in bed by a certain time he would accuse me of "robbing" him of his personal time and "taking liberties" (when you become a parent you don't get personal time!). Additionally, he would complain about having to "babysit" our DD whenever I wanted to go out (run errands, mommy groups, church, etc. Not partying type of 'out' as I do not party, use drugs or anything of that sort).

Husband is also a high functioning alcoholic who doesn't think he has a problem (drinks 8 beers a day 12 pack on holiday or special occasions). He's made several racists comments to me (he's white--I'm Hispanic) about being a "mud race", being barely more self-aware than an Ape, and referring to me & my family as "brown" people.

Husband is fighting for full-custody of our daughter even though I am, and always have been, her primary care giver. I take her do all her doctor's appointments, play dates, church, etc. I have been the one paying for her childcare (he hasn't paid a penny towards childcare or her healthcare), doctor's co-pays, and prescriptions.

I'm currently going back to school with the hopes of becoming a Nurse so I can offer my daughter and myself a better future and life. I work part-time in order to go to school full-time. I life in a cute, but small basement apartment that is in a great neighborhood close to my job and our church. I am a granola/crunchy/breastfeeding/cloth diapering/natural/attachment parenting momma and have put forth great effort into being the best mother I can be. My daughter is healthy, well fed, always clean and taken care of. I do not have a boyfriend/never cheated, don't drink, don't party, don't use drugs. I strive to be the best person, and best mother I can be.

Please pray for me, my daughter, and my husband. I know he is hurting that I left him. Inspite of my husband's verbal and emotional abuse, he's still a good person and has good intentions. He just crippled by an addiction he cannot control. Please pray that God will give us peace during this difficult time. Pray that God will grant the judge wisdom to discern the truth. Pray that God will be with our daughter during this difficult transition. Thank you.

Advertisement

rivemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Praying for you and your daughter and her dad.

I do know that if you are breastfeeding that should help things go your way a little more. I truly hope you get full custody based on what you said. I also wish you well in nursing school & think that it is very courageous of you to raise your daughter as a single mama.

Hugs mama. Be sure to post back w/an update as to how things went.

I really hope if they do give him some time alone w/ your daughter that it is supervised by the courts to make sure he is not drunk.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
Mackie3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Prayer for Custody Battle

I was in a similar marriage, except we had two babies involved. Praying all goes well for you and your baby girl. It can be overwhelming leaving the fate of your future in a judge's hands, who really has no clue. I prayed every night before court that God would open the judge's eyes to what would be the best situation for my babies. I will be praying.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
rivemi
Registered Users
seller

Thank you ladies. We have a preliminary hearing this coming Thursday. I will be sure to keep you posted.

Also need prayer that I can find a pro-bono attorney to take my case as I currently cannot afford to hire one. I also applied for several job openings today and am hoping one of them comes through.

Thank you again!

With Him all things are possible. <3
rivemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivemi
Thank you ladies. We have a preliminary hearing this coming Thursday. I will be sure to keep you posted.

Also need prayer that I can find a pro-bono attorney to take my case as I currently cannot afford to hire one. I also applied for several job openings today and am hoping one of them comes through.

Thank you again!

With Him all things are possible. <3
Yes! With him all things are possible! I would see about getting a lawyer that is willing to take payments? I will pray you get the job you want!
Hugs mama
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
MyNameIsMama
Registered Users
seller

I am praying for you and your family while you go through this.
MyNameIsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Praying and hoping for you mama!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

You have my prayers. A friend gave me a personal loan to help fund my attorney when I was leaving a similar situation. I am the type to never ask anything from anyone. But, in this case, receiving help was the best thing I ever did for me and my lo. I paid her back within a year. Ask anyone who can help, maybe a few ppl can make you personal loans. Good luck to you.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hugs momma! This is a very hard situation. Even if I knew nothing about your situation I would tell you that custody almost always goes to the mother. Even in extreme situations.

I hope everything works out !
Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
crnchy_mama_lala
Registered Users
seller

Praying for you and your family! Let us know how court went. Can you find a lawyer through the women's shelter?
crnchy_mama_lala is offline   Reply With Quote