Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #21
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dp

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.

Last edited by elizabeth.scalf; 05-05-2013 at 02:59 PM.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
ElToAnCy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Another dog food thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
We've been doing raw for a few months. A lot of chicken with eggs, chicken livers, beef tripe, and a few other things mixed in periodically. I did a lot of research before switching and found a slight risk with bacteria/raw bones etc. I figured it was a lower risk of another of our dogs dying of cancer or developing preventable disease because of an unnatural diet. My husband was a skeptic and is thoroughly convinced now that the dogs are healthier, more active, losing weight, shinier. It costs us slightly more than our Taste of the Wild, but costs less than the chemo/radiation/life-long steroids and kidney failure would have for our dog with auto-immune disorder.
This is how I feel as well. I'd be interested in seeing some evidence as to which is more dangerous... contaminated raw meat or contaminated kibble. A few years ago there was a huge recall on kibble because of contamination. Either way there are risks but I feel the most confidant with the prey model.

We order our meat from a family farm in PA... so it feels nice to support them instead of the kibble companies.

Last edited by ElToAnCy; 05-05-2013 at 03:10 PM.
ElToAnCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #23
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd try a different dog food. It's important to have something the dog likes, but it's important (especially in old age) to have something that will keep them healthy. I know a lot of people have had good luck with raw diets (didn't work for our dog, but he has major intestinal problems.) If not that, I'd try something else. We've tried california naturals, earthborn, and acana. They all seem to be pretty decent dog foods. Of those, earthborn holistics is the cheapest option. I also cook for my dog - we can find free freezerburnt elk/deer meat on craigslist pretty easily, so I cook that up and add some raw vegetables that have been put in my food processor (like kale, carrots, spinich, ect.) I mix that with dry food and he loves it. It helps stretch expensive kibble further, too.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #24
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElToAnCy View Post
This is how I feel as well. I'd be interested in seeing some evidence as to which is more dangerous... contaminated raw meat or contaminated kibble. A few years ago there was a huge recall on kibble because of contamination. Either way there are risks but I feel the most confidant with the prey model.

We order our meat from a family farm in PA... so it feels nice to support them instead of the kibble companies.
Can you share the link with their website. I just moved to PA and might be interested in looking them up. One thing that I do that keeps costs down but benefits both us and the dogs is buying whole, organic chickens. I trim off the breasts for us to use (we don't prefer dark meat), then cut the rest of the chicken into chunks. It lasts us two days for our 3 mid-size dogs. It's cheaper than buying pre-packaged organic breasts in bulk for us to eat. And I can say my dogs eat organic chicken.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #25
ElToAnCy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
Can you share the link with their website. I just moved to PA and might be interested in looking them up. One thing that I do that keeps costs down but benefits both us and the dogs is buying whole, organic chickens. I trim off the breasts for us to use (we don't prefer dark meat), then cut the rest of the chicken into chunks. It lasts us two days for our 3 mid-size dogs. It's cheaper than buying pre-packaged organic breasts in bulk for us to eat. And I can say my dogs eat organic chicken.
If you live close enough to her she let's you come pick up the food. I live in VA so I have to pay shipping. However... it's worth it. Her name is Tracy and she's awesome! She has great customer service!

Here is the link to her online store...

And here is her FB page...

She has green tripe and I haven't been able to find it down here. The grocery stores carry the bleached tripe but not the green tripe. We do a lot of chicken quarters, beef trim, organ mixes, heart meat, lot's of green tripe, eggs, yogurt, fish oil, a dash of apple cider vinegar every so often, and pureed veges.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #26
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
If you live close enough to her she let's you come pick up the food. I live in VA so I have to pay shipping. However... it's worth it. Her name is Tracy and she's awesome! She has great customer service!

Here is the link to her online store...

And here is her FB page...

She has green tripe and I haven't been able to find it down here. The grocery stores carry the bleached tripe but not the green tripe. We do a lot of chicken quarters, beef trim, organ mixes, heart meat, lot's of green tripe, eggs, yogurt, fish oil, a dash of apple cider vinegar every so often, and pureed veges.
There's some different thought on wheth dogs need fruits and vegetables. I tend to think they do. instead of prepping them myself, I buy Sojos dehydrated veg mix. It smells wonderful, like French onion soup mix, and my dogs love it. My dogs get chicken 4-5 days per week, and the other days they get a mix of eggs, the dehydrated veggies, ground beef sometimes, tripe, whatever was on sale, all mixed together. Once a month or so I splurge and buy them whole fish fillets.

To the OP, if he's not eating the new stuff, you can do a few different things. Try stirring in some 'gravy' to make the new stuff more appetizing - a cracked egg, a spoonful of yogurt, some chunks of ground beef. You can keep him on the old stuff and still do a little raw stuff. Even if you don't want raw, you could do boiled chicken or scrambled eggs, stuff like that. It gives a lot more variety in the diet without the stress of trying to get him to switch the kibbles. I think you'd find a lot of benefit even if you didn't feel you could do a complete switch to raw.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #27
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i wish i could do a homemade diet for my dog but honestly i barely get food cooked and on the table for my family, as in i struggle just with the task of doing it.

so maybe adding a decent wet food he will like or finding a good dog food he likes as well. though im still at a loss of what that could be. meh i just want him to be happy, my poor pup.
i know nothing magical will happen at this point.

hes big for a pug, but so were his parents. ive had him longer than ive had my human babies.

blah
Old 05-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #28
Corgi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyMae12 View Post
A diet is not going to undo any existing issues and well, it sounds like your pug is telling you what he wants to eat.

It would be like a 100 year old person who has eaten a standard American diet suddenly eating exclusively raw vegan, it is not going to make him feel or act like a puppy. It will probably involve further bowel blowouts or he might just turn his nose up completely at it.
I have to say.... I witnessed the *exact* opposite when we made the switch. Our 14 year old Beagle was in early kidney failure, had suffered epilepsy his whole life, had awful teeth, and had gotten to the point he barely moved. Diet changed completely fixed his dental issues, got him off of seizure meds completely (and lived without seizures for 18 months before he died. His whole life he was having at least two per month, even on meds) and he had new found energy.
Letting a dog pick what they eat falls in line with letting a two year old decide they won't want to eat their green beans, and would rather have a happy meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesundbound View Post
We choose not to do the BARF diet because of the risk of bacterial contamination and stomach punctures. I hear it's a popular diet though. .
Raw bones do not pose stomach puncture risk. Bacterial contamination is also just as likely with kibble as it is raw. I would even venture to say that it's moreso because *most* people wash their hands right after handling raw meat, but it's not so standard after kibble. Good hygeine and proper food handling makes this a non issue.

Quote:
This! I do think kibble poses more of a risk in every regard. As mentioned, people generally wash after handling meat, but kibble.. not so much. Also, part of why bacteria in raw meat is a non issue is the rapid digestion rate, whereas kibble slowly moves through the tract, sometimes for days at a time.

There's a lot of information on all this out there, and a few halfway decent forums. Then again, dog forums are kind of a collection of the most insane people on the planet, so I don't recommend it.

OK, going back into my lurking cave.
Chase, born Oct 2013 at 29weeks, HOME where he belongs after 59 long days in NICU.
expecting
someone new Nov/Dec 2015.
Corgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #29
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I am a huge fan of owner prepared diets,provided they are balanced. Right now my 5lb service dog eats a raw diet. He is obviously a toy breed and I want to avoid putting him under for dentals as much as possible. Crunching on RAW bones is great for their teeth and what could be more natural for a dog. Second I would look into a home prepared cooked food. I can send you to a really great website for more info if you are interested. I have been feeding our dogs either cooked or raw food for over 12 years now. I have seen gorgeous dogs with thick coats,great muscle tone,just glowing when we removed commercial kibble. I cook a month's worth of food at a time for my mom's 12lb shih tzu and it takes me just over an hour to make and package it. Like you said he has had a long life so it would be great to spoil him just a little bit now
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #30
*Kai&Mommy*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My Grandmother put her dogs on Blue & they all started to get very sick... did some more research & found this-http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html
I feed mine a mix of wet taste of the wild & dry Merrick. She seems to do well on it & has also been the only food to help her gain weight.