Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Symptom check my sister, please?

My younger sister is visiting me for a month. she's 24 years old, has been travelling in developing countries for a few years, thinks she contracted giardia at one point (but it was in the Philippines, and had some communication problems with the doctors).

She's been suffering bowel and digestion problems - constipation, diarrhea, stomach pain, indigestion, and hemorrhoids for ages now. We thought she might have IBS, so she's been sticking to a FODMAPS diet, but without any real improvement (albeit, it's only been less than a week).

Now she's red and itchy all over her body, like some kind of allergic reaction - and we're completely puzzled.

Any naturopath ladies or gentlemen have any idea whether the one is connected to the other - and what she can do?

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Symptom check my sister, please?

She should probably just give a stool sample at the ER and have them test for giardia, other parasites, or c.diff

She probably needs some Flagyll
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
She should probably just give a stool sample at the ER and have them test for giardia, other parasites, or c.diff

She probably needs some Flagyll
Is there any sort of temporary insurance we could get her so she could be treated while she's here? I feel awful for her.

She can get treatment for free on the NHS at home, but I know she won't go. She hates going to the doctor, and says she feels too foolish.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like a parasite to me. My family and I have done foreign mission work for years and I never have gotten one thankfully, but her symptoms sound just like my family members who have had them. She needs to go to the doctor! I know nothing about temporary insurance but for me, I'd rather pay than have something inside of me like that.
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Most likely a parasite. Very common to get living overseas and should be simple and inexpensive to treat. She shouldn't let it go though, it could get worse or affect the nutrients her body gets. When I lived in India it was suggested that I take a deworming pill every six months. When she goes back overseas she can probably be treated there too or even buy what she needs. Whatever she takes here, she should keep the packaging and she can take it to a pharmacy there and they can usually find their version of it.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Does she have travel insurance? That might work. I'm pretty sure mine covered me when I was first in the US. Waiting to get treated when she gets back home sounds like too long imo, I would want to get seen to asap. Plus then you can make sure she does it
Old 05-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #7
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

She could phone a UK travel agent and ask if she can still get travel medical insurance. I would never ever set foot in the US without it. It's very inexpensive.

I don't know if this works from the UK as well but I know my BC medical insurance will reimburse me for out of country medical costs but only up to what it would have cost in Canada. The problem is that US costs are massively higher of course but it would still help in her situation.

It sounds like a parasite to me too. My DH got one last time we were in the UK ironically.. those drunken post pub late night takeaways outings are really not the best idea...
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Once my roommate's underage sister was visiting us and her arm swelled up. We called the ER and said, look, no insurance + mom is in another state, can you treat? And they worked with us.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote