Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: In-home daycare rates vs. center rates

Thanks for the responses. Just seeing the way it is handled in different areas has given me some insight.

Quote:
You offended her. I am a nanny but usually work out of my own home. My rates are my rates and if you can't or don't want to pay them, I will just move on. My care is in such demand that I don't have to lower my rates and she may be in the same situation.
You are fortunate that you are in such high demand that you can set your rates that way. This situation was a SAHM who was tired of the erradic schedule and pay of substitute teaching and happened to hear from a mutual friend that another friend (me) needed childcare. She does not run daycare as a business more as a here and there thing. She seemed excited that my kids would keep regular steady hours and only Aug through May since I am a teacher. I was just a bit perplexed when the rate for one child was so different than the combined rate for two.

I still haven't heard from her, so I guess I did. I assumed it would be better to try to negotiate rather than just walk away when quoted the other price, but perhaps that is my error in judgement.

I really want to have this figured out before the semester wraps up. Otherwise I am going to be stressed out all summer!

Advertisement

Last edited by marvelous; 05-05-2013 at 08:39 PM.
marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Non-licensed should be even cheaper IMO since it can't go on my taxes if its under the table.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Non-licensed should be even cheaper IMO since it can't go on my taxes if its under the table.
ITA!!! I've already elected an amount for the entire year for dependent care based on my previous DCP, so I wouldn't be able to get that money back if this is under the table. And it was so much higher!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
Twinvillageiowa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Then she is being silly. If she is not an already established business with lots of clients waiting in the wings, she should be more flexible. Maybe she realized that she really doesn't want to do daycare?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:

in our busy area, in-home centers were at least $100-$200 cheaper/month for full time care. but we made the choice to do a center, we felt more comfortable with the staff and care our daughter would receive.

newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I charge $25 a day. The Tutor Time nearby charges $65 a day. The Sunrise (which is hell on earth) charges $58 a day.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #17
jengojengo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Around here, in-home rates are cheaper. You would be looking at 120 a week for an infant in a center, and around 100 per week in a home.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #18
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I charge $25 a day. The Tutor Time nearby charges $65 a day. The Sunrise (which is hell on earth) charges $58 a day.
This is about our area as well -- in home around 25-30/day, the lowest center at least 50. $25 a day for in home is if you are offering the provider full time 8-5 type hours, otherwise a little more per hour for part time.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, so I'm not crazy or demanding.

I've had good luck with in-home care so far and I really prefer it for an infant. If my youngest was well over a year, I would probably just go with a center especially so she and DS could be in the same location. She's only 7 months, will be 10 months by the time I need care and I just feel more comfortable with her being at someone's home. I also try to use in-home care because I do not need care during the summer. My in-home DCPs have been willing to work with me on that where usually with a center you have to pay through the summer or risk losing your spot.

I'm going to give her a few more days to respond, giving her the benefit of the doubt that maybe she didn't get the email or maybe she is doing her own research or something. If it doesn't work out, then oh well.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by marvelous; 05-06-2013 at 11:02 AM.
marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelous View Post
Okay, so I'm not crazy or demanding.

I've had good luck with in-home care so far and I really prefer it for an infant. If my youngest was well over a year, I would probably just go with a center especially so she and DS could be in the same location. She's only 7 months, will be 10 months by the time I need care and I just feel more comfortable with her being at someone's home. I also try to use in-home care because I do not need care during the summer. My in-home DCPs have been willing to work with me on that where usually with a center you have to pay through the summer or risk losing your spot.

I'm going to give her a few more days to respond, giving her the benefit of the doubt that maybe she didn't get the email or maybe she is doing her own research or something. If it doesn't work out, then oh well.

Thanks for the input.
I'm with you. I much prefer in home. Centers just seem to have such an institutional feel to them. I much would prefer my infant to be cared for by one person in a home environment. But that's just me. To each their own. And not all in-home or centers are created equal.

Here in MN, in home rates are between $150-$200 per week. Centers $250 and on up... I've heard of $600+ per week in some of the "elite" centers. They must be teaching physics to 3 year olds in those.