Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For those who have had their children present at their birth...

W/ my las 8 births at home there has been no one else to watch my children while I was in labor, although in later births my older children helped w/ the younger ones. It always worked out just fine. Once my 2y/o and 4y/o ate oranges at the foot of my pool while I labored. Several times they all slept. W/ the last two or three they prayed the rosary while I labored. W/ my first HB my three girls watched tv and ate toast while their sister was born.

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
MsBurrows
Registered Users
seller

I haven't, but I'd like to. I would have someone there for them. Mainly because life is unpredictable. Maybe they'd be fine, but I'd want to feel more comfortable during labor and birth knowing someone is there to focus on them if they need it. Also, there is always the small possibility of complications, and having someone there with this kids would be one less thing to worry about in the case of an emergency. It's what would make me most comfortable.

http://heathenhomesteader.com/
MsBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
Nangirl17
Registered Users
seller

As a midwife, I don't require it but I strongly, STRONGLY recommend it. I have seen children do fine, but I have seen well prepared "he/she's mature for their age" children of all ages need significant support. Moms can't deal well with their crying child while they're pushing out a baby. The one time I've had to transfer a woman to hospital when her kids were present, the kids lost it... Adding to the stress of an already stressful situation. (and these were teenagers)

My advice: have someone there dedicated just to them, or get them to a sitters.

Last edited by Nangirl17; 05-29-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Typo
Nangirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
Bot Girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would have someone there just in case. I've found many sitters on Sittercity.com and there's Care.com as well. I mention these because I understand your concern about the people you know being too comfortable, and coming to to help coach. A sitter you hire won't want anything to do with coaching - she'll just want to take care of the kiddos, and she'll be there in case of an emergency.
Bot Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first homebirth my older 2 were sleeping and woke right after she was born (7:30). With my last homebirth I labored all morning (My water was leaking which was a new experience) and had a waterbirth with all 3 children present (9, 5, &2). It was really helpful to have other people there to help with the kids since i needed Dh during the end of labor. I loved my kids there. As soon as my DS came out of the water my 2 year old yelled "BABY!". It was so sweet. And I love my kids randomly telling me that i did a good job getting the baby out!
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #16
bird_verde
Registered Users
seller

My midwives require it but with my home birth but I really didn't feel comfortable with anyone else in my tiny house (me, dh, dd, plus 2 midwives and a student midwife). So I compromised with the midwives and I didn't have anyone there but I had a few neighbors on call in case dd needed to leave (or in the event of a transfer). It worked out well, dd was 6 and pretty independent. I labored most of the night while she was sleeping, dh was able to make her some breakfast and attend to her as I didn't want him hovering over me most of the time and she was fine for the few hours until her sister was born.

HOWEVER, a few hours after the birth, dh and I needed sleep and we were VERY HAPPY to send her over to the neighbor's house for the rest of the day
bird_verde is offline   Reply With Quote