Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #21
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did I have back labor?

I had back labour with my 4th. I remember telling dh "push! push harder!" on the small of my back with each contraction, and he would say "aren't I supposed to be telling you that?"

Advertisement

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #22
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had back labor with my first, but having never been in labor before, didn't really know that there was a huge difference. Skip ahead to no back labor with #2 and I would say his labor and delivery was easy in comparison.

#3 I had back labor again, and near the end it was indescribable pain. Shaking, throwing up, frozen unable to move. And then she turned and practically fell out. I knew the second she had turned anterior because that pain was just gone and I only had "normal" contractions that were not even close to touching the back labor.

I didn't just have contractions in my back for either of my posterior babies though, it was all through my back, thighs and belly.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #23
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deely View Post
I don't think it's always that simple. I didn't have back labor, but I didn't have any contractions in my belly either. The only way I can describe it is that it was all in my hips and it felt like my hip bones were being ground into glass.
if it is "back labor" it will be in your lower back
other labor hips,pelvis,belly that is still in the front and not in your back
I wouldn't say one is worse than the other since I have only had back labor and only had some front ones in the beginning when they weren't strong. But everyone has a different pain threshhold- still you would know if the pain was in your back.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #24
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
Um.. Back labor is something you never forget.

It's like your back is in a vice. It's the most intense of all labors and there is usually no escaping the pain. Usually you have a posterior baby. It's an agony I would love to forget. I wanted to puke, and was close to passing out. The pain was indescribable, almost. Back breaking? Pressure on my rectum that made my head spin.

So my answer would be. No. You know back labor and never forget it. Ime.
I disagree :-) I have had back labor 7 times (most were posterior) and that sounds just like me......it wasnt unbearable as long as i didnt have to lie down. If i stay in my hands and knees i was fine. I think tour tense unit eased alot of tour back pain I never thought about a tense unit. DH has one cause he has a bad back.....smart lady. If you don't remember contracting that's because you don't really feel stomach contractions because our back pain is more intense. If yes you had back labor!

Last edited by lisathib123; 05-07-2013 at 03:53 AM.
lisathib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #25
MunkyCrazy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had 3 for 3 posterior/back labor babies. They all came out posterior, never flipped. DS1 and 2 I ended up with epidurals and DS3 was completely natural. DS3s, although incredibly painful, wasn't as bad as #2. I think it has to do with the fact that my water broke to start labor with 1&2 and didn't break until with #3 until about 5 minutes before he was born. With #2, I had no relief, just constant pain and close contractions. I was terrified to even move or breathe with him because any slight movement would instantly bring another strong contraction and much pain. With #3, despite the horrible pain, I was laughing and joking between contractions even through transition and pushing. However, I labored on my back with all 3, my choice. They tried to get me on my hands and knees and other positions and I'd try for 2 contractions and beg to be on my back again. (well, half laying, half sitting.) Laying on my and DHs fists placed in the right spot on my back provided the best counter-pressure. Nobody else gave as much pressure as my body weight did. I never got a chance to get in the tub, although I labored in the tub at home and it didn't do much. If I have more I'm spending the whole pregnancy on my hands and knees to try and have a regular, anterior baby. Although I think it's my shape as much as anything as I always had PMS cramps in my back and have a very tipped uterus.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #26
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds to me like the hypnobabies instructor was trying to find an excuse why the hypnosis didn't work...
I've never had back labor, though, I'm not very helpful there.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #27
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think all labor is painful to some degree and depending on how you are able to handle it. the big difference is it is in your back . so if you didn't feel pain in your back then it wasn't back labor lol.
i think i am the only one who hates hands and knees though for back labor i find that unbearable and once mw tried to have me lay on my side to get babe to turn and that was the worst. standing and having dh rub my back while squatting into him is the only way i cope

Last edited by mommyshanti; 05-07-2013 at 11:01 AM.
mommyshanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #28
mel281
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I haven't read the other replies.

DS was born posterior, so his was back labor. I was shaking, as if in shock, the pain was so bad. Every contraction felt like I had to poop. Yes, it doubled me over. I got to the hospital at 5cm and had been begging for an epi from before I left home.

With DD, it didn't start out so bad, but then felt very similar after awhile. She was not born posterior, so I figured I must just be a wuss. Maybe she turned before birth, who knows, but I just concluded afterwards back labor and non back labor were both very painful and it just took longer to reach that point with my second. It hurt in my back both times, but so do my menstrul cramps, so I figure that's just how I am.
mel281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #29
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel281

DS was born posterior, so his was back labor. I was shaking, as if in shock, the pain was so bad. Every contraction felt like I had to poop. Yes, it doubled me over. I got to the hospital at 5cm and had been begging for an epi from before I left home.

With DD, it didn't start out so bad, but then felt very similar after awhile. She was not born posterior, so I figured I must just be a wuss. Maybe she turned before birth, who knows, but I just concluded afterwards back labor and non back labor were both very painful and it just took longer to reach that point with my second. It hurt in my back both times, but so do my menstrul cramps, so I figure that's just how I am.
She likely turned. My last baby I labored with him posterior and with my first push he rotated
Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #30
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel281 View Post

I agree, probably turned. My DD was posterior (was 8-9cm dilated before she turned, so aside from what I was feeling, they could see that she was too)

I felt as soon as she turned a huge amount of relief and the urge to push, she was born face down a few minutes later.