Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21,967
My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding while preg?

im not much help ds2 was 20 months bf cycles returned lol and I had to night wean just to get them to return. when we did conceive ds3 I dried up comp by 10 weeks he was 28 months and self weaned himself.

Advertisement

momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,707
Re: Breastfeeding while preg?

I nursed through my pregnancy with DS. DD was almost 2 when I got pregnant, but she loved to comfort nurse, so she continued, even though I really had no milk left.

We went on to tandem nurse for 2 years. I found nursing in pregnancy a lot more difficult than tandem nursing--I did have the creepy crawlies sometimes and I was sore. But the pain of weaning seemed like a bigger problem than the difficulty of continuing to nurse.
__________________
Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, Toddler Boy 3/11, and Twin Girls 2/14!
VeganCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
tibeca's Avatar
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,936
My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding while preg?

I have been nursing for over 5 years straight. 21 months of nursing during pregnancy plus another 18 months of tandem nursing. That includes 3 pregnancies, with 1 resulting in a miscarriage. If given a real choice, I wouldn't nurse during pregnancy, EVER! I spent many hours of my pregnancies crying, because I just didn't want to be nursing and pregnant. It was just too hard for me. It is incredibly annoying to me. It is a real sacrifice that I made for my children. Something I hope to not repeat. I believe very strongly in child led weaning, so I just keep going.

Not everyone feels that way about nursing during pregnancy. The only way to know how you will feel is to do it. Unfortunately, once you're there, if you don't like it, the only choices are to either quit, or keep going despite hating every minute of it.

Honestly ask yourself
-What are your breastfeeding goals?
-How devastated you would be to have your baby wean on account of your pregnancy?
-How upsetting would it be to force wean your baby because you hate breastfeeding -during pregnancy THAT much?
-How would you feel if you miscarried, not knowing whether breastfeeding was part of the problem? (it usually isn't)

Only you know how you feel about it. But I can guarantee that my DH and I are doing everything possible to not have another pregnancy until our youngest is weaned.
__________________
Tibeca, Certified Breastfeeding Specialist

Baby Monkeys on Hyena Cart
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
Sarah-B's Avatar
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibeca
I have been nursing for over 5 years straight. 21 months of nursing during pregnancy plus another 18 months of tandem nursing. That includes 3 pregnancies, with 1 resulting in a miscarriage. If given a real choice, I wouldn't nurse during pregnancy, EVER! I spent many hours of my pregnancies crying, because I just didn't want to be nursing and pregnant. It was just too hard for me. It is incredibly annoying to me. It is a real sacrifice that I made for my children. Something I hope to not repeat. I believe very strongly in child led weaning, so I just keep going.

Not everyone feels that way about nursing during pregnancy. The only way to know how you will feel is to do it. Unfortunately, once you're there, if you don't like it, the only choices are to either quit, or keep going despite hating every minute of it.

Honestly ask yourself
-What are your breastfeeding goals?
-How devastated you would be to have your baby wean on account of your pregnancy?
-How upsetting would it be to force wean your baby because you hate breastfeeding -during pregnancy THAT much?
-How would you feel if you miscarried, not knowing whether breastfeeding was part of the problem? (it usually isn't)

Only you know how you feel about it. But I can guarantee that my DH and I are doing everything possible to not have another pregnancy until our youngest is weaned.
Great info. The only thing I would def hate would if it caused a mc because I would always wonder if I had caused it by not weaning first
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #15
keen1981's Avatar
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B

Great info. The only thing I would def hate would if it caused a mc because I would always wonder if I had caused it by not weaning first
I had a threatened miscarriage with my second. Decided to continue to nurse my first through the pregnancy. Baby survived.

The baby I lost, I weaned for.

If you are not high risk, nursing is not a risk during pregnancy.
__________________
BFing, CDing, all natural mama to three boys! Certified lactation Counselor
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
Sarah-B's Avatar
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981

I had a threatened miscarriage with my second. Decided to continue to nurse my first through the pregnancy. Baby survived.

The baby I lost, I weaned for.

If you are not high risk, nursing is not a risk during pregnancy.
Oh wow that is interesting and good to know. I am very sorry about your loss mama. But thank you for sharing.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
MsBurrows
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 512
Re: Breastfeeding while preg?

I've nursed through 2 full pregnancies and one half (I lost that one due to unrelated issues). The only problem I had during any of them was nipple pain/agitation during nursing. I really hate it, but can't bring myself to wean because of it. I'm currently nursing and pregnant again, and the discomfort has come back. My daughter is 2 this time, so not as young as my others were, so my patience is already wearing. But aside from that it's always been smooth sailing.
__________________
SAHM to 4 girls ages 10, 8, 4, and 2.

http://heathenhomesteader.com/
MsBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.