Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
aemarques
Registered Users
seller

Should I say something?

A friend who just gave birth less than a week ago posted about how she was unsure she wanted to breastfeed while she was still pregnant but now 6 days in she is loving it and the amazing bond it is. I commented that it only gets better with time especially once it becomes second nature and the soreness is gone. I also included how my 8 month old only for sure knows the word milk because she crawls right over no matter what shes doing to have a sip of milk and how amazing it is.

Following my comment she was told that she better wean early because its so awkward and terrible to have a 13 month old asking for milk and reaching for the boob. And how awful a time it was to wean her at a year old. All basically in response to my comment.

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm offended. My friend was commenting on what a wonderful experience she was having and was met with a negative comment about weaning and using a bottle and pumping asap.
I kind of want to say something... but not sure what. She messaged me a few nights ago asking some questions about BFing, maybe I should just send her a private message encouraging her instead of responding publicly? What would you do?

Advertisement

aemarques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Re: Should I say something?

Private message telling her what an awesome job she's doing, and how awesome it will continue to be for as long as she want's it to. Just tell her that no matter what anyone else says she doesn't need to wean until she and the baby both feel ready.

I know lots of people who don't extended breastfeed who had NO problem with weaning their little ones at 12-15 months.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
People will forever be making these comments instead of minding their business. I'd message her privately and just stick to giving a positive message about your experience. I can't imagine that she'd be influenced by what someone posted on FB.
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'd private message her.

People just look to see if they can stir up trouble. Or they're uninformed. But unless you have a 13+ month old nursing, you can't really respond. If you did, then you could say something like 'I dunno, I don't find it awkward at all....'
Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Should I say something?

I would PM her and encorage her, but also respond that you do not find it awkward at all. That it really depends on the person. We find it funny personally when Finn goes into my shirt and tries to lift a booby out. He loves to graze so he gets booby often. It is all what is in your comfort zone. He will be 13 months in 3 days.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post
Private message telling her what an awesome job she's doing, and how awesome it will continue to be for as long as she want's it to. Just tell her that no matter what anyone else says she doesn't need to wean until she and the baby both feel ready.

I know lots of people who don't extended breastfeed who had NO problem with weaning their little ones at 12-15 months.
Yup
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote