Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What did you do for your planned c-section...

if you can't lay flat without getting heartburn?

I nearly threw up at my last c-section and I thought it was because I ate ice cream the night before. It didn't occur to me that I couldn't lay flat for the last half of my pregnancy (a little less then half) and that I couldn't because of heartburn (acid reflux and nausea).

Then yesterday I was laying down with DS taking a nap and realized that I am not able to lay flat anymore.

So what can you do about that? I plan on asking my OB next time I see her but I thought other's might of had this problem too and thought I would get other's thoughts.

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I had horrific HB with both my boys and couldn't lay flat. The spinal made me so sick I vomited throughout surgery so it ended up not mattering anyway. :/
Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Fantastick
Registered Users
seller

Re: What did you do for your planned c-section...

I had a bottle of Tums on my nightstand for a few days. That worked for me.
Fantastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
ottomamma
Registered Users
seller

With my first pregnancy, starting at 8 weeks, Tums was like eating candy - didn't do a darn thing. My acid reflux was so bad it burned my mouth, throat and stomach 24/7 even while standing straight up. And if I bent over, I would get stomach acid pouring into my mouth! I took Prilosec the whole pregancy and bye bye reflux! It worked great for me. Maybe you want to try taking that, or even something stronger if needed (like a prescription from your doctor) in the last week or so before the Csection to make sure you can lay down without getting sick.
ottomamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I vomited with all three, between the fasting and that orange drink and the spinal it makes me sick. Luckily by the time they were getting baby out I felt better.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ask before the surgery...I think they can give you something for the heartburn or let you take something at home? Ask the hospital or your OB specifically - not just the nurse...
Old 05-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowangel View Post
Ask before the surgery...I think they can give you something for the heartburn or let you take something at home? Ask the hospital or your OB specifically - not just the nurse...

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
kynid
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yea, I ate a lot of TUMS during pregnancy, but right before surgery they made me drink this gross stuff that felt like acid in my stomach and made the heartburn worse for like 2 mins and then it went away completely. The nurse said it was to neutralize the acid so you don't throw up. Worked for me and then my heartburn was gone as soon as that baby was out and it never came back
Old 06-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Funny enough, I didn't have to drink that foul nasty stuff the first time and did not throw up until I tried to eat the next day. It was an emergency and we had lunch out hours before too, so a full system.

This time, I was on an empty stomach as we had been in the l&d for urgent symptoms all day and had to have another c/s. I threw up all through surgery badly and was projectile vomiting every time I was moved or rolled for 24 hrs.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They still have yet to give me my paperwork for the c-section. I was hoping it was coming today, but nope. I have another appointment in a week and I hope to get it then. There is some issues with scheduling me.

Anyway, I am hoping it says something in there that I can take something for nausea, and something like milk of magnesia the day before to clean me out. I poo every morning right now and that is the last thing I want to deal with!