Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Any mama's that have had a classical c-section and got pregnant again?

I am having an issue with my OB. She wants to schedule my c-section at 37 weeks exactly and I am wanting it no earlier then 38 weeks exactly. I mean if I have to give a day or so I would be okay, I am not okay with giving a week.

I have had 2 classical c-sections (the rarer type).

Were you ever told that 37 weeks is okay for the c-section with this type of c-section? Did you have to do it at 37 weeks? I think this is awfully early for the baby and I am fighting it, but my Peri said 37-38 weeks is the "standard of care".

I don't want another NICU baby as I lost 3 children in the NICU and I have flashbacks of that awful time in my life when I go back there. My son was born at 38 weeks and was in the NICU for 6 days. I know this is MINOR compared to some, but after spending over 5 months in the NICU and not bringing home a child, I have paid my dues!

Thank you for your help! I was trying to look at Dr. Google for this issue and found nothing.

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've never had a classical section, mine were the bikini cut (whatever it's called). My youngest is 4 months an I couldn't deliver sooner than 39 weeks per ACOG guidelines. That's what my Dr goes by as long as there are no complications and I wouldn't think a classic scar constitutes a complication as far as delivering a week early. I would question pretty intensely on why you OB wants to do it so early.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any mama's that have had a classical c-section and got pregnant again?

With my first son he was a c section at 37 weeks in 2003, my second two were also c-sections at 39 weeks because in arizona hospitals they changed the rules and now c sections cannot be done earlier than that unless medically necessary. My ob said too many babies were being born with their lungs not developed so they extended it. The only way to go earlier was to do an amnio to test lung development. I had IUGR with my second but they still waited until 39 weeks, but I had to do an ultrasound a week and a nst a week. I'm surprised they want to do your section so early.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thought I was suppose to be getting NST weekly and such beginning at 30 weeks but now they are telling me just 2 more ultrasounds and normal monitoring by my OB. So I will not see my OB till 2 weeks (10 days) from now. Then I will see her 2 weeks after that. I never go to 1 week OB checks with a 38 week delivery. The ultrasounds are in 4 and 8 weeks.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I havent had a classical c/s, ive had the bikini line one. Ds1 was delivered at 39 weeks and i had scheduled my c/s for ds2 when he was 39 weeks too. My doc said that we cant schedule to take the baby any earlier than 39 wks unless we had to.
dncegrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Has this pregnancy been high risk in any way? I've read some about your other losses but don't recall anything atypical with this preg. I would be pushy about getting NST and asking why OB wants to deliver so soon. Can you see someone else in the practice or get a second opinion from another Dr? I know you are so close to the end but I wouldn't let up if you are concerned.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This pregnancy is high risk only because of my pelvic radiation. N (baby) is measuring same as M (big brother) was. M was before cancer. They are concerned with me going into labor because of the classical c-section (greater risk of uterine rupture) and because they know that I have more scar tissue because of the radiation (and a minor surgery to move my ovaries). I don't want to go into labor on my own. However I was just checked today and my cervix is still very long and everything else. So there is no reason other then that, that he should be taken early. He is doing well and my placenta is to the rear (high even).

I do live 1 hour from the hospital but honestly I have lived here for the other 2 pregnancies too (both delivered at the same hospital).
Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well it seems that high risk for you means they check you and baby often. I think pushing it to at least 38 wks with monitoring should be ok, but I'm not a Dr. Is this a high risk Dr or a regular OB? If it looks like there aren't any signs of labor then risk is small. I've had 4 sections and I understand the more pregnancies the higher risk of rupture and a host of other things. My last one was 10#8 and she stretched me pretty thin!
I suggest seeing another OB.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Not me but I translated for a woman who did and wanted a vbac. It was rather difficult as everyone, nurses and doctors alike, were wanting me to tell her she and baby were going to die if she didn't consent to the c-section. Not only did she not die having her baby vbac she went on to have 3 more kids.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I haven't had any c-sections, but could help reading this without replying. I found this info on BWF blog. MAybe it would give you some fire power to getting baby to bake longer.
http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2011...for-your-baby/

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote