Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

Re: Bedsharing-kinda OT

"Thanks for the advice/ideas" or the terser "I'll take that under advisement" usually works when someone is giving me advice that I likely won't follow.

Although, when I first met my current doc I was clear that we bed-share with our littles. He said it's not what he recommends. I nodded and let the silence speak for itself, then we moved on. Hasn't come up since.

But it really depends on the doc. I don't think I would care about hearing a lecture once but if it came up repeatedly, I'd have to firmly insist that the subject is closed and since both our time is valuable, in not interested in hearing it again.

Advertisement

Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
onion
Registered Users
seller

My 3 month old sleeps in bed with me and has from the start. If I put him down away from me he's awake in 30 sec flat. Even in a cosleeper that is right next to me. He wants body contact.
He also sleeps best on his side. And yeah, flat on his back he starts coughing up stuff and choking and otherwise not breathing well at all. On his side? No problem.
I sleep with my arm curved around him. It's great.

ISO: GMD green edge workhorses or prefolds! Bumgenius 4.0s, fixeruppers ok!
onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Haven't faced this with our new ped, but our family doc before we moved up here is the mother of 7, and she co-slept with hers, so it was a complete non-issue!!
Old 05-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
babyike2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I wish we could find a "better" doc...with dd1 she suggested to stop using cd's because they were giving her a bad rash which ended up being a yeast type infection and she just needed meds. Now with this lo, first it was to put her on nursing schedule! This was when dd2 was only 4 weeks old, dh asked her if the baby should be nursing non stop. Grrrr

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 05-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
mamacita1222
Registered Users

I have also received pretty terrible advice from my pediatrics office. When my son was just 27 hours old the lactation consultant told me I needed to limit his time at the breast and that he was just playing around. I just say "oh" when they give me advice and then do what I want to do based on my research/my husbands opinions. I always thought bed sharing was a terrible idea but in my husbands country it is the norm. Now I can't imagine putting a tiny baby in a crib down the hall.
mamacita1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #16
birdinhand
Registered Users

dr james mckenna is a leading mother/baby sleep expert. maybe you could find info re cosleeping and reflux at his website, maybe even email him...
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #17
onion
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita1222 View Post
Now I can't imagine putting a tiny baby in a crib down the hall.
Me too. No offense to anyone who does it but the thought of putting my guy down in another room and walking away gives me the creeps.

ISO: GMD green edge workhorses or prefolds! Bumgenius 4.0s, fixeruppers ok!
onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by onion

Me too. No offense to anyone who does it but the thought of putting my guy down in another room and walking away gives me the creeps.
I feel the same way about my "little" 22mo...who still sleeps with a snuza monitor on her underwear.

Edit: When my lo was still very small I used a snuggle nest (and I think they have one with incline for reflux). She slept right next to my face in it.
I also as mentioned above use/ed a snuza movement monitor for any breathing concerns.

Last edited by Kätzchen; 05-11-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #19
mpink22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
For our refluxing cosleeper, we have used the Boppy newborn lounger in the bed. With the Snuza monitor
Old 05-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
rotersonne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I went for my WIC appointment, the lady gave me crap and a bunch of paperwork telling me that I have to start putting my LO in a crib at night. I don't know about her parenting habits, but my LO is two months old and sleeps with me every night. NOT ONCE has her life ever come into danger sleeping with me. She sleeps better at night now, and has not had any episodes with trouble breathing, like she would have in her bassinet and crib.

When we move, however, I'm planning on attaching the crib to the side of my bed just so she has more room to roll around (she's already started some rolling, and can scoot across the bed.) When I go back for my 3 month, I'm probably going to politely tell the lady to shove off, as when I talked to my peds & other doctors from the hospital, they were all on-board for co-sleeping.

I seriously hate that so many professionals are so uninformed. Everything I've read points to it being safer & better for baby to co-sleep than anything else.
rotersonne is offline   Reply With Quote