Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Calvert? or something like it?

I am liking the look of Calvert. But WOW is it expensive!!! Oy vey! $1200 + per year per kid.

Anyone know of anything like it that doesn't carry that colossal price tag? That is seriously more than we can afford. But I like the program.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Calvert? or something like it?

I know Calvert seems expensive but honestly you get a lot with it. We got a whole library of books with the Kindergarden program. I love how it tells you what to do everyday too. This September will be the first year we are paying for the full price as the PreK and K are reduced rates.

You can find sales on them and if you listen to their presentation then you can get 5% off. You can also do monthly payments if that makes it easier.

They are not my absolutely favorite but they are the cheapest I have seen for what you get short of going to a religious education (which I don't want to do). Also piecing something together is not of any interest for DH or me.

I wish you luck in finding something that fits your needs and budget.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

Calvert was provided Completly free to us through our states cyber charter school for several years and after having experienced many other curriculums I would never actually pay for Calvert. We didn't find it challenging enough some of the material was outdated. I know some like Calvert but I can't recommend it after using it for 3 children. I believe our cyber school stopped offering it because children using it tested lower at yearly adequate progress testing then those that chose other curriculums. I just dropped off boxes upon boxes of Calvert curriculum at our local goodwill......wish I had known how exspensive it is. Should have sold it! Lol

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq
ummsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do use the Calvert system a year earlier then needed. So this year my son is 4 and he is in K. Next year he will be 5 (end of September) and he will be in first.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummsmiley View Post
Calvert was provided Completly free to us through our states cyber charter school for several years and after having experienced many other curriculums I would never actually pay for Calvert. We didn't find it challenging enough some of the material was outdated. I know some like Calvert but I can't recommend it after using it for 3 children. I believe our cyber school stopped offering it because children using it tested lower at yearly adequate progress testing then those that chose other curriculums. I just dropped off boxes upon boxes of Calvert curriculum at our local goodwill......wish I had known how exspensive it is. Should have sold it! Lol

yea, we just dropped out of our state-funded, free virtual school, which uses Calvert curriculum.

We dropped out b/c my DD was testing far above her grade level, but they refused to give us the next grade's curriculum w/o first completing 6 months worth of lessons... and we had 2 months to do it. Our other option was to continue with the K curriculum, and get an extra 2 hours of "enrichment" on top of that. Uh, no thanks. I thought that was totally asinine. ... but I digress...

I like how the Calvert lessons are set up and I like the content, but I definitely agree they are roughly a year behind or so.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A lot of hs programs seem to be behind what they teach in ps. Maybe why you hear so many hs parents say their kids are ahead lol. I thought that Calvert was different though. Guess I need to look through it again (3-4 grade)
Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshanti
A lot of hs programs seem to be behind what they teach in ps. Maybe why you hear so many hs parents say their kids are ahead lol. I thought that Calvert was different though. Guess I need to look through it again (3-4 grade)
Exactly! My kids are all one grade ahead but they aren't particularly gifted it's just that the curriculum tends to be below level.

ummsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know that it is that most curriculums are behind ps curriculum at all. I've seen what kids are learning in PS and they aren't learning much. I think more of it has to do with the fact that kids can learn more faster when they are learning one on one (or one on two or three) than when they are learning in large groups. It also helps when they are being allowed to learn in a style that fits them. My youngest is just 7 and grasps multiplication and division. I don't mean he memorized the multiplication tables but he actually understands the concept behind how you multiply and divide. He came to this understanding on his own playing with unifix cubes and bear family counters. I consider him to be just finishing 2nd grade (and 1 grade level ahead than he would have been if I had enrolled him in PS). The math curriculum we use just presented multiplication and division as a concept and he was very excited to play with it again. I didn't learn multiplication till 4th grade in PS, my nephew learned it in 3rd grade but just as memorizing multiplication tables.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote