Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

anti tv parents advice needed!

we have a tv that we have netflix on. and sometimes ill use my computer to look up videos. our lo only watches tv when it is on at other peoples houses. he will be a year old on the 21st. there are sometimes when i just need him to sit still in the kitchen or something while i make food or clean. he is very active and doesnt like sitting in his high chair even. so for people that dont have a tv, how do you get the kiddo(s) to have some quite calm time? i often wear ds in my ergo if it is close to nap time and i cant devote time to putting down for a nap. he also hates the pack n play for playing in. its not that im anti tv, its just that our accessibility to one is limited.

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
sdsmrs
Registered Users
seller

Re: anti tv parents advice needed!

Do you have a swing, play yard or entertainer that you could put him in while you do your chores? I would put my DD in one of those if I needed to get something done without the problem of her tripping me or getting fingers stepped on. She would entertain herself with toys/books or just sit there watching me for the little bit it took me to vacuum, do dishes etc. You could turn on some music that would be fun for him to learn; nursery rhymes, fun kids songs, etc. that you could even sing along with to help entertain him. I didn't use the high chair except at meal times or when they were older while they sat and colored, so I can't help there.

Sometimes it takes a little bit of teaching to help them understand that they can entertain themselves. It might take a few tears, but as long as you know the child is ok; clean, not hungry, not hurting, etc. It will be ok! I know my idea is not popular, but you are there watching and talking to him and sometimes, it just needs to be done.

BTW, If you feel you just can't figure it out and resort to the TV (netflix). There are some nice educational videos that are on netflix. He's still young but the leapfrog videos teach numbers, letters, etc and there may be others. I'm not trying to get you to use these, just letting you know there are videos out there that are not just "fluff" but can still be entertaining to a young one.
sdsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

This is the sort of thing that baby furniture was invented for. That's why playpens/packNplays, jumparoos, etc all exist.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would work on getting him to not hate the pack n play. Start just a few minutes at a time and work up to longer. Have a few toys h can only play with in there.

Also....why does he need to sit still for you to clean clean or cook? We don't really do tv, but at that age my kids were big on "helping" me. Yes, it takes longer and can be messy, but give him a rag with just water while you clean. Buy him a little broom. Etc. He will love to help! You can also help him dump in ingredients and stir. Use it as quality time together when you can, and then he may be more willing to do something solo, like a few minutes in the pack n play when you really need him to. As a bonus,kids who start helping with this kind of thing early are usually better at doing chores and helping as they get bigger. My just turned seven year old is becoming quite the cook.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I totally missed the line about the pack N Play. Can you get a full sized/actual play pen?

I have this one
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

It's so much bigger than a regular pack n play. They can actually PLAY in it. Crawl around, move things around, etc.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I totally missed the line about the pack N Play. Can you get a full sized/actual play pen?

I have this one
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

It's so much bigger than a regular pack n play. They can actually PLAY in it. Crawl around, move things around, etc.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I think you need a safe room for him, and a gate or barrier to keep him there. We've put up a gate and and couple benches around the kitchen, so the only room he can access from there is his baby-proofed bedroom. I can cook and just listen and pop my head into the room occasionally, and he's fine. Same thing with the living room. Sometimes he gets mad that I'm not technically in the room with him, but he can see me. I am one of those anti-TV freaks who won't let her kid even look at photos on an iPhone (much to many a strangers' dismay!) and we've all survived. He's gotten pretty decent at playing alone now.

ETA: I understand that sometimes you don't want them underfoot. My crawler burned his fingers (not badly) on the oven once when I thought hubby was watching him, and I was burned very badly by boiling water off the stove when I was a toddler. So I'm super wary of having my 15 month old in the kitchen while I'm cooking.

Last edited by Palooka; 05-15-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
LauraI
Registered Users
seller
seller

At that age, my daughter had a cupboard that she'd go through (Tupperware bowls and lids) and play with - stack and scoot and stuff - during the time I was in the kitchen and she didn't want to sit in her high chair. We also had a Fridge Farm magnetic thing that kept her occupied in the kitchen, but I think she might have been over a year when she really could use that. And I often danced and acted silly while cooking/cleaning; she imitated me by dancing too. She had outgrown all her baby furniture (Jumparoo, Exersaucer, etc) by that age. Never used a Pack & Play past the bassinet stage.
LauraI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

i let my lo explore just about every thing in our house. i rarely even need a baby gate because he is good with the stairs. i guess some times i just hate cleaning the kitchen and then cleaning up his messes from the cupboards and such. he also likes to snack while he plays so the floor gets trashed. i understand that he will make a mess, but on rare occasions like when we are having guests i just need it to be clean. he also loves helping me with the duster and broom. he will "wipe" things too which is really cute. other times he is really clingy though and i dont want him to get hurt. he has outgrown his furniture :/ what also really sucks is our cabnits are stupid and wont allow for locking mechanisms, i also live with inlaws which like a moderately clean living space
Old 05-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie.sattler
i let my lo explore just about every thing in our house. i rarely even need a baby gate because he is good with the stairs. i guess some times i just hate cleaning the kitchen and then cleaning up his messes from the cupboards and such. he also likes to snack while he plays so the floor gets trashed. i understand that he will make a mess, but on rare occasions like when we are having guests i just need it to be clean. he also loves helping me with the duster and broom. he will "wipe" things too which is really cute. other times he is really clingy though and i dont want him to get hurt. he has outgrown his furniture :/ what also really sucks is our cabnits are stupid and wont allow for locking mechanisms, i also live with inlaws which like a moderately clean living space
I would not allow snacks when he plays. If he wants to snack them he can sit in the highchair and eat. We only eat at the table in the kitchen. I can't stand having food/crumbs on the floor and I surely don't want food on the couch or carpet.

We have a tv that the kids can watch, but I haven't needed it solely for when I clean. I give them a room they can play.

What about getting some special toys that he can only have when you clean? That way they are something special and more likely to keep his attention. I do think it is harder for first child's to play on their own.