Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #11
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can I ask a dumb question? Seriously, I need advice with this! Is it a dumb quest

I'd let her do it. I see no harm. I'm from a small town and really trusting though.

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #12
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:
Re: Can I ask a dumb question? Seriously, I need advice with this! Is it a dumb quest

Absolutely, let her do it!
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
saturn
Registered Users

I think your plan sounds perfectly reasonable. You'll be ahead of her, and the walking friends will be behind her. Chances are, she'll never be more than 5-10 minutes away from someone she knows (plus dad will be there at various points). Once you finish, you can head back to finish with her. If she has any problems, I'm sure that the other people around will help her out, and at some point the friends who are walking will catch up to her.

You might want to have her carry a cellphone just for your peace of mind. I wouldn't emphasize the "don't talk to strangers" angle, if she hurts herself or has a problem you'd want her to talk to someone. Sure, it's a little scary, but this is a great opportunity for her to enjoy a small amount of independence in a very safe and supportive atmosphere. If you're really worried, maybe talk your daughter through some of the possible scenarios - what should she do if she hurts herself? what should she do if she takes a wrong turn and gets lost? what if she finishes the race and doesn't see you? That way, if anything goes wrong, you will have agreed on a plan.

Good luck to both of you, sounds like a fun race!
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She's nine and there will be people she knows there? Let her run by herself.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
She's nine and there will be people she knows there? Let her run by herself.
Yep, there will be a ton of kids/parents/teachers/admin/etc. from her school that will be there. Including friends and neighbors that don't go to her school.

She already knows about being careful and cautious with people she doesn't recognize. She knows to never go with anyone she doesn't know very well and especially if someone comes up to her that she doesn't know that says her mom or dad had them come get her b/c something happened with them. If she runs into an issue she will seek out someone she knows.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Id let her run!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

let her run.....do you have walkie talkies she can use?

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
drabekgirl
Registered Users

My now 9 year old ds an I did a 5k "together" last year. He hadn't trained for it and took off at a sprint, my sister and I caught up a few minutes later and than he and I walked the rest or jogged the rest of the way together. Their was a time we couldn't see him but I knew with his tag on and the amount of people he wouldn't leave the course. I would let her do it.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

My oldest did a 5k and was fine.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #20
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great question. My 10yr old swimmer wants to run a 5K as well but I am nervous about her being on the course alone. All of the races around here are huge. I keep looking for one that we could do together but can't find one that doesn't conflict with my half marathons. Just not ready to turn her lose in a crowd of 500 (smallest one I could find)....

I like the idea of giving her a cell phone though so that she can contact dh (if I decide to let her run).