Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
emily54
Registered Users

NFP, How?

(That's what its call right? Natural family planning?)

Can someone explain this to me, I'm trying to google this but I'm not getting what I need. I want to avoid pregnancy just for the summer (since I just got my period back at 20 months PP). Then Hubby and I will talk about trying again. I used this method to get pregnant... but how do I use it to avoid?????

So what I'm asking is which cycle days are relativity safe for unprotected sex? I can't find anything except how to chart ovulation (I already know that!).

Links, comments? Please help!

Advertisement

emily54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
mamaspice
Registered Users

NFP is what it is mostly called in religious versions (promoted and taught by Catholic church). It calls for complete abstinence during fertile times if trying to prevent pregnancy.

The secular version is called Fertility Awareness Method or FAM. It allows use of a barrier method during fertile times, with the understanding that your prevention rate is only as good as the method you choose.

I recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility which is like the definitive guide to all things FAM.

I also have a much smaller cheaper and simpler book on NFP called Honoring Our Cycles: A Natural Family Planning Workbook.

When I was first learning about it I searched itunes for NFP and found a podcast series om it from a Catholic perspective. I found it interesting and informative about why people choose it and what their experiences have been, even though I do not agree entirely with some of the beliefs presented.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
mamaspice
Registered Users

Also I chart using an iphone ap called FMC. It helps me keep track of things. It predicts your fertile days based on your average cycle but isn't as accurate as going by your signs.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can't directly answer your question, but I chart using ovu view on android. It can tell you everything you need to know about your cycle, but you need to be able to put historical data in. Is a new pp cycle regular enough to plan around?
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

I chart on an iPhone using an app called Selene to keep track of symptoms. i LOVE IT! But I am mostly following the billings method for safe days and using temps to confirm ovulation. The method is really straight forward and is explained in detail here.
http://www.woomb.org/learningBOM/B20...nstruction.pdf
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
hannahransom
Registered Users

Re: NFP, How?

Most people don't post rules online because just having someone go off of rules they read without really understanding it can lead to a lot of people saying "I used NFP/FAM, and then I got pregnant!" when they weren't using the method at all. But yeah, Billings posts all their stuff online, so you can read that info (someone linked it above). They are a mucus only system and it doesn't taslk about temps, though.

www.holistichormonalhealth.com
hannahransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

If you used this method to get pregnant, then just reverse it to avoid. You need to either abstain or use a barrier method during your fertile times. You need to chart to find out about your own personal cycle, but "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" says that generally speaking, you are okay up until Day 5 and then 4 days after ovulation. You can't give blanket numbers for everyone so you have to know your own fertility each month.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
buttercup520
Registered Users

I would just say that you have to be very diligent and disciplined to use FAM. It only takes once Even then it takes a while to nail down your exact cycle so just using it for a couple months may or may not be effective.
buttercup520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspice View Post
NFP is what it is mostly called in religious versions (promoted and taught by Catholic church).
Really?
I'm Atheist and I've always called it NFP. I think for the sake of searching that FAM may bring her some more info. I just think its kind of silly to only attach wanting to plan your family naturally to being Catholic.
Hum Bums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspice View Post

I also have a much smaller cheaper and simpler book on NFP called Honoring Our Cycles: A Natural Family Planning Workbook.
Also, thank you for this! I have been wanting to get Taking Charge of Your Fertility but I hate paying too much for books. I love a few other books from the same publishing company so I'll give this one a try.
Hum Bums is online now   Reply With Quote