Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

2nd CS?

I'm considering TTC again (would be my 5th child, 2nd bio baby though). For my 1st bio baby, I ended up having a C-section as her head was too big for my pelvis and she couldn't descend despite being dilated for 6+ hours. She wasn't an overly big baby, 8lbs 10oz 20ish inches long, just had/has a big head. I wonder about having a VBAC or just scheduling another C-section. My C-section with E was easy as can be and the recovery was great too. So, I'm not opposed to another one. Just curious what other's experiences are like. Did you need another cs for subsequent pregnancies?

Advertisement

megs715 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2nd CS?

I decided to have a 2nd (and subsequent) C/S's (I'm expecting #5 now all C/S) after going over the risks and benefits for me personally. I will say it's a personal decision and no one can make the decision for you. One thing to consider is how many pregnancies you would like to have - 2 C/S is generally no big deal but the more C/S's you have the more risks are involved. Also, I would suggest finding a good OB and midwife and visit with them with your records and see what they have to say and suggest to you personally. I wouldn't change my decision for anything and know I made the right decision for me . I think you have to do your research, ask your questions, and do the same for you . GL TTC!
Old 05-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowangel View Post
I decided to have a 2nd (and subsequent) C/S's (I'm expecting #5 now all C/S) after going over the risks and benefits for me personally. I will say it's a personal decision and no one can make the decision for you. One thing to consider is how many pregnancies you would like to have - 2 C/S is generally no big deal but the more C/S's you have the more risks are involved. Also, I would suggest finding a good OB and midwife and visit with them with your records and see what they have to say and suggest to you personally. I wouldn't change my decision for anything and know I made the right decision for me . I think you have to do your research, ask your questions, and do the same for you . GL TTC!
Thank you! I'm tempted to just go the c/s route again. My recovery really was easy, I had no complications, and I have good memories of her birth (what I do remember, I'd been up for 30+ hours when they sectioned me, so slept through much of the surgery, they woke me up when she was about to be delivered) and besides the duramorph making me vomit that first morning after, it was all good. My plan is to see the same OB, so I'll ask him when I make an appt pre-TTC. Thank you again!
megs715 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
crunch!910
Registered Users

If you thought your c/s recovery was easy, vaginal birth will be like a vacation! There are more risks with csections, it is actually safer to VBAC, and itis healthier for the baby. Definitely consider VBAC, no matter if you didn't have any particular negative experience with your first csection. It's how babies are meant to come into the world.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I would recommend talking about having a Trial of Labor with #2 and if that baby won't fit you'd probably show similar signs as your first and then just head off for a c-section (you and your doc could come up with a time line of some sorts so you are not exhausted during surgery). I agree with Crunch about the risks... yes they are there, but the more c/s you have the more risks you have too. So if your doc offers vbacs, I'd just go over your records and talk with him/her about the option and get their thoughts.

My first did not fit through either without having to be pulled (homebirth, so no c/s when I needed it). My second I was going to have a trial of labor but do a c/s if I stalled at any point, but he turned breech (thank you God) and after trying the ECV he would not turn. C-section and a pound bigger than first (thus my thankfullness to God). The rest have been c-sections due to my risks of another shoulder dystocia.
My 2nd c-section was my best c-section (and best birth) as far as surgery goes and immediate (as in the first 2 months) of recovery. Unfortunately, that c/s did cause a lot of scar tissue that caused me pain every time I urinated (it attached to bladder) and caused my 3rd c/s to be more complicated. And then that c/s was hard to recover from, but they were able to clean up a lot of that scar tissue during it and I don't seem to have as many pain issues as after my 2nd c/s... still some, but not every single time I pee. Thank you God!
So that is my experience, but every woman is different though.
I am incredibly thankful for c-sections as they've given me healthy babies and I'd much rather have surgery than anymore of my babies.
If I was a good candidate for a vbac though, I would ask for a Trial of Labor because it would lessen my risks and because I really hate scar tissue.

Last edited by raisingcropsandbabies; 06-13-2013 at 04:13 AM.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

One thing you also need to consider is how they got your first child out of you. It is rare, but not unheard of to cut in the wrong direction to even try for a Vbac. I was cut that way for my first pregnancy and now I have to have c-sections. I have no choice. I knew before I went in for my first c-section that they were going to do that and at the time I made the best choice for my family so I have no regrets.

I have had 2 c-sections now and my first I was off pain medication within a week, second I was off within 1.5 weeks. I am expecting that it will take me 2 weeks with this c-section but I don't know. All of mine have been (mildly) planned at least. The most I have EVER dialated is 1 cm. This c-section I think there has been a book written about already it is so planned.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

My first c/s was for the exact same reason. With number 2 the doc was conservative and convinced me based on ultrasound measurements at 38 weeks that another c/s was probably the best idea, so I consented.

The recovery from a second c/s is complicated by one major thing. You have another child to take care of. It was hard to get enough rest. I bled a lot more than I did the first time. It was rough!

With my 3rd I did not want to go through that again! So I found a VBAC-friendly doctor. I had a successful VBA2C! It was soooo much easier to recover from than either of my c/s! No comparison! I could room in without help, change diapers, hold and walk with the baby, easily pick up something I dropped on the floor - all within hours/days of his birth.

I encourage all women to at least have a trial of labor. It doesn't hurt anything, baby benefits from the endorphin triggering hormones, and it can work for the majority of women! If you have a repeat c and want future VBACs like I did, you will have a much harder time convincing doctors to take you on. The ACOG guidelines are that women with a low transverse incision with one c/s should be encouraged to VBAC and women with low transverse incisions with 2 or more should not be discouraged from VBAC if they desire...but IME doctors are much more cautious and concerned after that second surgery and some outright refused me as a VBAC patient. Even after I had a successful VBA2C, I had a doctor refuse me because of those 2 previous c/s. So that is something to consider!

Good luck with your decision. FWIW, my subsequent babies fit just fine despite their big-headed brother!
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
LBO28
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think a good question is why are you considering a VBAC? If you had a good experience with the csection, go for it! Everybody's preferences and experiences are different and if it gives you peace of mind, that is great. I understand simply wanting to make an informed decision, too.
LBO28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
Mcorey41
Registered Users
seller

If you decide to vbac hire a doula! I had a similar experience to you with my first (fully dilated and pushed for 4 hours, baby didn't descend, 8lbs 2oz). I vbaced an 8lb 7oz baby and my doula made all the difference having me push from all different positions. I pushed for two hours but baby came out and I only got one stitch. The recovery was amazing compared with the section.
Mcorey41 is offline   Reply With Quote