Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
kayclmb
Registered Users

6 weeks/doctors/hcg levels/spotting

On the 25th of May I took 3 at home tests that came up positive. On the 28th i went to see my primary physician due to slight bleeding/spotting. He sent me to have my blood drawn to check my HCG levels, and set up another one 48 hours later. Tuesday my hcg was 944, Thursday it was 820. Friday I went to the hospital because, although my physician stated it was an emergency, the obgyn said it could wait until Monday. The hcg levels at the hospital were 984 and my ultra sound showed a sac in the endo. canal. I am not experiencing any pain, and have pregnancy symptoms. The following monday June 3rd, I had more blood drawn, my hcg level was 1207, Thursday the 6th I had more blood drawn and on Friday I had another ultra sound to check for ectopic pregnancy due to slow increase in levels.. Friday evening the obgyn's office called me and said "You had a miscarriage, you have nothing to worry about, you're numbers will be dropping." but he insisted that i come in and take a medication called Methotrexate for tubal pregnancy. The doctor has yet to say that the egg/embryo is in fact in my tubes. My first ultra sound i was only 5 weeks, my second I was 6. OBGYN called me today June 10th and said that my hcg levels are still increasing and theyre now at 1500 and that i need to have more blood drawn and make an appointment for the medication. I'm incredibly scared, i have no evidence that i need to take this medication which has been explained to me basically as an abortion pill. I have been with my husband for 6 years, in february i went through surgery for SEVERE endometriosis. In the 6 years we have been together i have never gotten pregnant, we have never used protection, now that i've had this surgery and had tissue removed i was able to get pregnant. I need help and I have found that 3 doctors are not giving me any answers ive been told i am miscarrying then i was told im not and that its ectopic then i was told i already had a miscarriage then i was told my numbers shouldnt be increasing if i miscarried. :/ I don't know what to do at this point.

Advertisement

kayclmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 6 weeks/doctors/hcg levels/spotting

I watched someone go through this earlier this year on another site. Hers didn't end well. However as long as your numbers are going up and your pregnancy isn't in a tube, it is technically viable. Even if it is a slow grower. Miscarrying babies don't need the meds to get rid of them that early on.

I suggest you go to the misdiagnosed miscarriage site and talk to them. http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com There are lots of stories that are both good and bad on there.

Good luck!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
kayclmb
Registered Users

thank you for your response every doctor i have seen is saying it's not viable, i clearly don't believe them, or i wouldn't be here and i hate that they're trying to force this medication on me. But yes my numbers are increasing, very slowly, im not having any pain just slight bleeding, normally only noticable when i have to urinate. i don't have any children so im completely just confused and im trying to do research.
kayclmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have been through a lot of medical stuff in the last 7+ years and one thing I can say I learned is that you need to be your own advocate. Often doctors are following scripts of how to treat a patient, and if you don't agree with it, then you shouldn't go along with it. Now I have had some doctors that just got furious at me over this, but in the end they respect me enough to know that I am not just pushing back for pushing back's sake. I actually want to be treated a certain way, and hope that they will treat me that way.

Please let me know how things turn out for you! Good luck!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First, I am so sorry you have to deal with this stress & worry. It's hard enough to deal with a miscarriage but then to throw such uncertainty into the mix is doubly hard.

I agree with 3 ladybugs. If you aren't certain about something, be insistent on further testing or something to be sure before you submit to taking the pill. You're right that what they want you to take is basically going to kill the pregnancy. I would insist on doing another ultrasound to be certain that the pregnancy is in the tube and not in the uterus before I would do the med, just in case.

It's possible that the initial drop was due to a vanishing twin pregnancy, leaving just one live embryo to continue. I don't know how common it is, but that could be why there was a drop and then rise. The other thing is that it could be an incomplete miscarriage and that some tissue is remaining and causing the rising HCG even though the pregnancy isn't viable.

I remember a woman on another forum I'm on having a similar drop then rise in HCG. In her case, she had had a D&C to remove the ectopic pregnancy but then after a couple of dropping HCGs after the surgery, it started to rise again. It ended up being that some tissue was left behind and needed to be removed.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you aren't experiencing pain, heavy bleeding, or immediate threat to yourself, I'd wait a week, then have another u/s to confirm whether this pregnancy is a viable one. I've known people to have a twin pregnancy, lose one (thus the drop in hcg levels) then go on to have a healthy pregnancy. I'm not saying this is what's happening to you, but it is something to consider especially if it's not an emergancy to get a d&c done. I'd wait. See if your body rejects the pregnancy on it's own, or continues on. Good luck hun! I'm sure there's lots of stress your way, and I'm so sorry about that
Old 06-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have had many pregnancies where my HCG levels do not rise quickly. One of which was a suspected ectopic. Yours are rising quite slowly though. As a midwife that is textbook for an ectopic pregnancy, but there are no guarantees. I would ask for another U/S to see if they can locate the pregnancy, or specifically see blood in your abdomen.

You need to be asking specific pointed questions. Is this a tubal? How do you know? If not why are you recommending the Methotrexate? What are the risks to continuing the pregnancy?

In my case baby had implanted on the edge of the tube and migrated into the uterus. I bled for 16 weeks, but have a happy 4 year old now!

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote