Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #41
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Re: June/July Adoption and Foster Care Chat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
seems like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place! hopefully the wait is over for you soon!

hm i don't know...i guess it depends on the reason respite is needed?

yay!
Family has the baby and needs a break...no vacation or anything like that. They are actually waiting for us to get home from our 10 day vacation, so that we can take her, which I thought was kind of odd, but no complaints here!

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #42
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

How long will you have the baby?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #43
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

I actually have no idea yet.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #44
dalynn1997
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ManyBoyz View Post
Family has the baby and needs a break...no vacation or anything like that. They are actually waiting for us to get home from our 10 day vacation, so that we can take her, which I thought was kind of odd, but no complaints here!
That situation actually sounds like it could end up a placement. Wait and see
Christian Wife to DH married 16 years. Forever mommy to my adopted son #9 C (3 yrs) Currently fostering #20 A our bonus buddy full sibling to my adopted son (16 mths). We have fostered 20 children so far, some with medical special needs. Still hoping for a forever girl.
dalynn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #45
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

Abraham's allergy test results finally came in. He's mildly allergic to egg white, dairy, almonds, and soy. He's moderately allergic to peanuts. I want to crawl in a hole right now. We already have a child with Celiac disease so our whole house is gluten free.

Cooking and baking used to be my absolute favorite thing to do. Now I dread it. Meal planning makes me want to cry and I feel like I can't make any of my favorite meals.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #46
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
Abraham's allergy test results finally came in. He's mildly allergic to egg white, dairy, almonds, and soy. He's moderately allergic to peanuts. I want to crawl in a hole right now. We already have a child with Celiac disease so our whole house is gluten free.

Cooking and baking used to be my absolute favorite thing to do. Now I dread it. Meal planning makes me want to cry and I feel like I can't make any of my favorite meals.
That sounds very overwhelming!

Spider-man has been having good and bad days. We are struggling to understand what changes to make his behavior change so much. One main aspect is how much attention I am able to give him. He requires so much that it seems like it never ends at times. Spider-man acts worse for DH but I don't always think DH handles it the best. DH gets frustrated and is not always concise enough but he is trying. We found an amazing therapy center for him but we have been waiting weeks to get the insurance approval stuff through so we can set the evaluation. Tomorrow is a family team meeting for us and Spider-mans sister's family together. I am a little nervous about it though. The social worker said that it is going to get heated so I hope it is okay. I hate conflict in these situations.

Last edited by FerventlyDreaming; 06-18-2013 at 12:06 PM.
FerventlyDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #47
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Sorry. It's a pain. We deal with the same allergies. This is what I have learned:

* It is extremely difficult to sub dairy and soy allergies in regular recipes -- most of the dairy subs have soy in them.
* Many kiddos with egg white and dairy allergies can tolerate items with egg/milk baked in. Definitely talk to your allergist about when/how to introduce.
* Most kids outgrow dairy, egg, soy allergies before school age so you probably aren't dealing with a lifetime of these restrictions.
* There are a few top-8 free cookbooks that I have seen.
* http://community.kidswithfoodallergi...rum/main_forum is a good resource. For a small fee, you can get access to their recipe database which is supposed to be really good.
* Welcome to the world of short order cooking ... I have finally let go of my visions that my kids will eat the same meals we do. I'm tired of eating boring meals that work for both kids' restrictions.
* Coconut milk ice cream ... yummo.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #48
isabelsmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

So sorry to hear this mama!! I found a great Top 8 free Comfort Food cookbook at Barnes and Noble for a friend. I have celiac and so does my DD. That's hard enough to navigate without adding more allergies!

Update on us- brought home the 4 month old boy who was MIA to foster today. Looks like it will be temporary until ICPC is filed and he can head out to his aunt's. We also have the Newbie. No contact from his caseworker yet about visits or how mom is doing. Both babies are super sweet!!
Lisa, child of the One True King, momma to Beanie 5/08 , soon to be adoptive momma to Tank 6/13 and foster for now/hoping to be forever momma to Blue 1/13 and wife to the love of my life The Fun One 10/02
isabelsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #49
tedcgh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hi. I am new to this forum. Just literally started the process to become a foster family today. We started it 7 years ago and my nephew fell terminally ill, and I was drained from taking care of him that we stopped half way through. Then we started our family. Last week we finally made the decision that it was time to get back to what we felt like we were supposed to do all those years ago. I am excited and incredibly nervous. We have also been TTC#3 for well over a year now. So our family may be up for some big changes soon.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #50
katiejack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am trying to be patient waiting for the state to approve our license...
katiejack is offline   Reply With Quote