Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #51
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: What would you do differently?

My first birth went quite well, but there were a few things I changed with my second, which was awesome.
What I changed:
-no one but DH and my mom in the room. With my first, my inlaws came and sat in my room and stared at me for hours. Awkward.
-try harder to breastfeed. I really had AMAZING nurses the second time that were all IBCLC's. We're still nursing 22mths later.
-let the nurses take the baby for a few hours at night so I could sleep. I didn't do this with my first and was so exhausted, I almost dropped her. With my second, they took him and brought him back when he got hungry. The hospital I deliver at is small and has no nursery, so the nurses just hold the babies. All procedures are done in the room, so no worries there
-spoke with the anathestist prior to having baby, so that we could figure out why my epi didn't work with #1

For my third, when the times comes, the only thing I would change is to hire a birth photographer. But for my pregnancy, I have lots of plans to make that better, starting with being slimmer and in better shape prior to getting preg.

Jacky, CPST and wife to Tim
Mama to my little red heads, Kenzie (5) and Maverick (3)Currently boycotting using the potty EVER
jackyl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #52
Registered Users

I'm not having any more births, but if I were, I'd stay way more active during pregnancy.

Say NO to pitocin unless it's truly medically necessary--it's evil, seriously.

Also I'd choose not to repeat having a placental abruption :P That wasn't much fun.

I'd definitely trust myself more, and I think you are wise to think about that, too.. don't drag your baby out for visits and make you both miserable, people should come to you (IF you want to see them!) Do what feels right to you, if your inlaws don't like it they can suck an egg.
anne, the wahm formerly known as zephyrclothdiapers (now retired) + josh (the dh) = ds1 06/04 & ds2 09/10
~ never forgetting our ^i^ 08/03
done biologically, working on adopting from foster care

Last edited by anne_josh; 06-15-2013 at 01:06 AM.
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #53
Registered Users

Originally Posted by evasimone View Post
Do you mind saying what happened that you can't have another epi? Sorry if this is super nosy I am just really curious.
Just saw this! Happy to answer....

With my 2nd, I had a lot of retained fluid in my body, so they had difficulty placing my epi. I'm not recalling exactly how many times they tried to get it in, but I would guess a dozen. They also blew veins in both of my wrists before the party even started that day. All of the "trying" left scar tissue and when I tried to get the epi with my 3rd, the gal putting it in had to give up because she couldn't work around the scar tissue.

In hindsight, the only epi I probably ever needed based on my labor experiences was when I had back labor with my 1st. I was too afraid of the pain with my 2nd to even try, and then when I *HAD* to do it without pain meds (pit wide open, BTW), it ended up not being the worst experience in the world. Knowing what I know now, I'd do it naturally again even if I could get an epi. Unless I had back labor. That was awful.
Amy ~ Everything in moderation, WOH, glass half full, not committed to any labels, try, try again mama to 3! H 11/07 and M 8/10 and B 8/12
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote