Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
bubbaloubaby
Registered Users
seller

Diy sunscreen

Does anyone make their own sunscreen? I bought a ton of stuff to make our own sunscreen. The process was pretty easy but it didnt end up working. (I got the wrong zinc and didnt weigh it) does anyone have a good recipe they love with a high SPF? My son has very fair skin (red hair and blue eyes)

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: In a turn of the century farmhouse with my 2 favorite people!
Re: Diy sunscreen

I haven't yet but have been researching to make it. An acquaintance is an herbalist and she recommended following the recipe on the Wellness Mama blog, which calls for the powdered non-nano zinc oxide. Is that what you bought?

May I ask where you bought your supplies? I'd wanted to buy it all from the same place - she'd recommended Mt Rose Herbs but they don't carry the zinc oxide and they were out of almond oil. I'm so eager to give this a try because we spent SO much time outdoors.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
bubbaloubaby
Registered Users
seller

I bought Zinc oxide from amazon and some other things from lotion crafter I think it called.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I cannot speak to performance at all, as I've had no occasion to use it yet, but I actually thought I would try one my diapersticks for sunscreen this summer (see siggy), as it has a higher concentration than her recipe of the very zinc she links to, and the only "unnecessary" ingredient for this purpose is arrowroot (which might actually prove to be nice in leaving it feeling less greasy). I have red hair and yellow-green eyes but am indoors most of the time at present due to severe allergies and heat sensitivity (I'm in the blistering south). Even if I decide for some reason that it is less than ideal, I think the lotion bar sort of approach is nicer for DIY than trying to make a stable all-natural lotion. It's simply going to last better. So if I were you I would try to make a zinc lotion bar. However, as you increase the SPF with that sort of zinc, you WILL look whitish going on. I don't think you can avoid that w/ DIY really unless you use the lower zinc concentration such as she offered. I use my diaperstick recipe combined w/ some essential oils to make a bug bite salve, and it takes some doing for it not to look like a big white splotch surrounding my bite.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants

Last edited by debcita429; 06-15-2013 at 12:46 PM.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Note that I'm not even trying to sell my diaperstick for that purpose; I think it would be much too opaque to make most people happy. But it is probably my best arsenal for good natural coverage on a day when I am actually outside long enough to require it. (And conveniently I HAVE it.) I think if I were attempting to make a sunscreen stick proper that was strong enough for redheads, I would actually add some mica powders that would make it slightly tinted. I mean, if you cannot beat the opacity, you might as well do something nice with it, give yourself a slight glow. But honestly, I don't know that I am ever going to go down that road. There are natural sunscreens out there that are pretty safe and cheaper than the probable cost of making a really good DIY. If I think I am going to be in the sun more next summer, I will most likely buy one of those.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants

Last edited by debcita429; 06-15-2013 at 01:34 PM.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote