Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
coconut cream help

How can a make a heavier coconut cream? Or something to use as filling. We are nut free due to allergies so nothing with nuts. We are doing a reboot- so vegan, mostly raw, lots of juice for 10 days. Before we started dh said he wanted a chocolate pie for father's day. Its what he wanted as a gift and all he wants. I asked if he still wanted to do it since we will be in the middle of the 10 days and he said he'd wait. I am trying to do something anyway that fits into the reboot, even if its not part of it. There is a reboot recipe for chocolate peanut butter cups. It requires natural peanut butter which we can't do. Our sub peanut butter has sugar and other stuff not suppose to be the reboot. Still might make a few of those. I might put some dried cherries in a few too. I was thinking I might be able to make a filling with coconut milk and coconut oil. We also have coconut flakes- both sweetened and unsweetened. I have made an almond joy type filling before but it requires butter and corn syrup- both no-no's on the reboot.

Can I make a Bavarian style filling with coconut milk and oil or something sturdy enough to be in the center of a chocolate cup? Any ideas? If I could find almond butter locally that didn't have peanut cross contamination I would use that. But I can't find any locally and i don't have time to order any. Any ideas?

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: coconut cream help

Found a almond joy recipe that uses just coconut oil, coconut and a little honey. Still would like a creamy type filling though since I do have a can of coconut milk.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know...coconut cream is plenty heavy to me

eta you might find what you're looking for on Tropical Tradition's web-site - they have a ton of coconut cream recipes. Do you have the store stuff or the stuff from Tropical Traditions? B/c I'm thinking of the cream from Tropical Traditions, which has no added water.

Last edited by mel j; 06-13-2013 at 01:34 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Its Thai Kitchens. I have never actually made the cream. Figured since its a sub for dairy free whipped cream that its wouldn't be heavy enough to be in the center of chocolate. Is it sturdy enough for me to pour chocolate over it?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think you need actual coconut cream from tropical traditions. That is thick and heavy, not like whipped coconut milk, more like a peanut butter texture.

ETA: it's sometimes also called coconut butter

Last edited by syfitz; 06-13-2013 at 02:05 PM.
syfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll see if I can find some. I just found a recipe to make it. Maybe I'll try that first. Don't know if I'll be able to find the other. Then what maybe some vanilla extract and a little honey?
Old 06-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Actually you can make cream from the canned stuff (or full fat canned coconut milk, even.) I remember seeing stuff about putting it upside down in the fridge overnight. The cream will separate from the water. This is the first recipe that came up on google... http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make...am-from-152490

Here are a couple more:

http://ditchthewheat.com/how-to-make...-coconut-milk/

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2011/...ream-from.html
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
jenniferhoiyin
Registered Users
seller

You could make your own almond butter, just throw some almonds in a food processor or high speed blender and blend until smooth. It takes a few minutes but it will get smooth just like peanut butter plus it's raw.

I make cream pie with avocados. Blend some with some agave or other natural sweetener, coconut oil, cocoa or raw cacao powder, a little vanilla and salt.

Also, the refrigerating coconut cream works but make sure it's not light coconut cream, it's the canned kind, and you let it sit for a day before putting it in the fridge. The cream will solidify once it becomes cool (below 75ish degrees) so of it's mixed up it will solidify the whole can rather than separate as it cools. Also, some brands are better at doing this than others. (Personal experience).

Good luck!

Last edited by jenniferhoiyin; 06-22-2013 at 03:08 AM.
jenniferhoiyin is offline   Reply With Quote