Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So out of inspiration... black beans?

Not sure what to do with this last bit of black beans I cooked a few days ago. They are a little mushy (but not too bad.) My little ones would eat them plain - they love them. But I kind of want to make something and don't want to freeze them since they are a few days old already.

I don't use refined sugar or a lot of grains. I'm also mostly turned off by meat dishes though I do have ground beef to use up (which I might use for a separate meal...)

I have done black bean brownies before, but don't have dark chocolate and any that I remember trying without using refined sugar came out too weird.

What would you make?

Advertisement

mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: So out of inspiration... black beans?

Soup? I love black bean soup- not the pureed mush kind. Broth based with only a little bean pureed in it. The rest of the beans whole. Green chilies and tomatoes mixed in. A little avocado on top or on the side.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I ended up making a black bean chocolate pudding - something I hadn't tried before. It was pretty good! Little ones loved it and we ate it all up! I found a recipe online after googling for ideas and almost completely changed the ingredients except for the 1.5 cups of black beans...I used 1/6 cup of raw honey (instead of 1/3 of maple syrup), ~2.5 TBS cocoa powder instead of 4, and ground ginger, then ran it through the food processor with another 1/2 cup of water or so until it was super smooth.

Black bean soup sounds good too. Haven't made that in awhile! I have actually been craving black beans and might make more, so please keep the ideas coming! I also want to try a sweet potato black bean vegan patty/'burger' but I didn't really feel like making burgers. Maybe next time.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We eat a lot of black beans. I make black bean "chili", Black beans and quinoa, Black bean enchiladas (usually with zucchini, corn tortillas cause I am gluten free and green salsa) and black bean enchilada "lasagna". Just to name a few things. They go in many of my other soups too. They are just an easy source of fiber and protein with my being vegan and having so many food intolerances.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yum, yesterday I made a "lasagna" with the beans, using zucchini and sweet potatoes as the noodles (since I also try to do gluten free)....It was probably more of a casserole but I will definitely make it again!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
mommylovesme
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We eat ours with tostadas, fried tortillas, topped with sour cream, fresh cheese or mozzarella, lettuce, and radishes.
mommylovesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Check out Pinterest. I've found some great recipes on there.

I'm going to try a stuffed pepper recipe I found with quinoa, black beans, corn, etc. it looks delicious.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote