Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
camping recipes, specifically foil meals

We are going camping for 4 days (3 nights). I have 6 kids all 7 and under. (Don't be scared for us. I'm not. ) I'm looking for meals that will be specifically for camping and cooking over a camp fire. I want it to be part of the experience and camp food to be something my children look forward to on our camping trips. (This will be the 3rd year camping and our 4th or 5th trip. Typically, I just make things like hamburgers and hotdogs. Last year, I did some creative things, but I didn't save the recipes. )

Anyway, I'm intrigued by foil meals, where you wrap everything in foil pouches and put it on the coils to cook. I found a mac and cheese recipe that looks fun for the kids. I've found others, but I'm not finding great instructions....or maybe I am, but I'm not understanding. Am I supposed to put the meat in raw? I found some with ground beef...am I supposed to brown the meat first? It doesn't say to do that, but it seems like you would want to. I'm a little confused. Anyone have insight for me?

Also, any other kid friendly camping meals. Cooking supplies we have are the open fire or charcoal, a portable gas grill and a propane camp stove. Oh, and make ahead would be awesome!

Thank you!! Sorry for the rambling.....

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
AJH1544
Registered Users
seller

Re: camping recipes, specifically foil meals

I love foil wrapped chicken n veggies. Put a handful of veggies (can personalize) on a piece of foil. Season with a little saltn pepper. Put a 1/2 chicken breast, raw, on top of the veggie pile. Season. Wrap up it two layers of foil in a pouch formation, put on grill for 35-45 min or til chicken is done. Comes out juicy and no clean up! Can make ahead too.

Also can do with fish (can use what you catch n clean, or just use store bought). I mix a can of corn, drained, with a can of drained hunts diced tomatoes (garlic n basil). Spoon a bit into each of four double sheets of foil. Place a tilapia (or other fish, can be frozen or fresh; use four filets to make four pouches) filet on top. Season with dill, salt, and pepper. Wrap up each in two layers of foil in a pouch shape leaving some room at the top for steam. Cook on grill for 20-30 min or til fish flakes easily. Yummy! Can also make ahead.
AJH1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
AJH1544
Registered Users
seller

I would just be especially careful to pack meats well if you are travelling with them. Dont want to make yourselves sick!
AJH1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! We have gotten pretty good at packing and keeping everything cool. We have a huge cooler and are really good about keeping the ice fresh. Any meat that isn't goign to be used right away starts frozen too. We also plan the meats that are going to spoil more easily (like chicken) early in the trip. We save the hotdogs for later in the trip. So far, so good.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
beyoung
Registered Users
seller

Not a meal, but a fun camping dessert for kids are "banana boats". Open up a strip of peel along a banana and stuff yummy things like chocolate chips and mini marshmallows between the peel and banana, then lay the strip of peel back down again. Wrap the whole thing in foil then place in the coals for a few minutes to let the chocolate chips and marshmallows melt and the banana cook a bit. Then open up the foil and use a spoon to eat the banana directly out of the peel - yum!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sweet potato tacos are so yummy!

Be back later with some more
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #7
ihaveasweetbaby
Registered Users
seller

For dessert: bananas sliced down the middle (not all the way through -- just make a pocket) with chocolate bar and/or nut butter of your choice tucked inside. Wrap it in the foil and place it over warm coals or very low flame for a few minutes. Oh YUM! And healthier than S'mores!
ihaveasweetbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did a Hamburg foil meal a few years ago that turned out good. Make burger paties. Place in foil add potatoes carrots butter salt and pepper. Wrap well and cook in coils or on grill.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
mamalopez
Registered Users

I like to put a few cabbage leafs on the foil first and then add the fillings. The cabbage keeps it moist and from over browning. And it tastes good too. I also like to use a cream of mushroom or other cream condensed soup to it to make a gravy as it cooks. Its pretty yummy. My kids all love it and are all under ten. I mix up the fillings but use some kind of beef usually, potatoes, carrots, onion, and bell pepper and then salt and pepper it. I always leave the meat raw it all cooks up well.
mamalopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We do Hobo Packs like you mentioned...the meat is always raw. I've done pork chops, chicken, hamburger patty, and steak. We use potatoes and tons of different veggies!! The cabbage leaf in the bottom is brilliant!!

One of our favorite meals uses leftovers. We usually have leftover fried/grilled potatoes and leftover meats of some kind. We brown those together with veggies then dump a dozen scrambled eggs over it. Soooooo yummy!!

We also use pie irons for lunch a lot. So many options with those!!!

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote