Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-29-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Green poop

My baby is 9 weeks old and the last few poopy diapers have been green. She is EBF and I don't remember this with my other 2. I've read it could be because she could not be getting enough hind milk but I don't think this is the case because she empties both breasts every time. Usually its yellow and seedy or stringy. Is this a problem that its green?

sativa83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
Registered Users
Unless its mucousy, or she is showing signs of pain/distress, it's not necessarily a problem. You could try gentle breast massage during the feeding to help loosen fat molecules more evenly through the feeding. Usually they hang on towards the end of the feeding after the "flow" has slowed down. Some babies will nurse on a side until the flow stops, but not actually finish and work for the higher fat stuff.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
formerly 4boysMomma
My Mood:
Re: Grren poop

I was obsessed with green poop during DS4's first year because he never had a normal yellow EBF poop and I could NOT figure out why. It drove me nearly crazy!

Our ped said poop is green because of bile. Normal digestive bile is green and it turns yellow or brown after sitting in the intestines for a while. So a bright green or dark green poop may be one that is coming through faster than normal. But why that happens is a mystery.

How is your milk supply? With my DS he did have frequent mucus so we were concerned about allergies, but I think low supply and little hindmilk was big factor in the lack of yellow poop as well.
Mom of six boys
DS(18)DS(15) DS(13) DS(5) DS(2) and Baby DS
who are the love of my life and the bane of my existence all wrapped up in one wonderful wacky package.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Registered Users
Re: Green poop

My daughter is 10 weeks and we have the occasional green poop as well. If they aren't consistently green, I wouldn't stress over it. You will probably get them now and again, but if feeding habits haven't changed, it shouldn't be a problem.
elevation24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Registered Users
Re: Green poop

My 3-month-old had occasional green poops, sometimes in a row, but it would go back to normal. She continued to develop and grow well (actually she shot up in length crazy fast) and had read that green poop was normal for EBF babies, so I haven't worried since. She still seems happy and healthy.
Tida is offline   Reply With Quote