Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

Donation question

A friend has just asked if I'm willing to donate breast milk for a friend of hers who's baby has a birth defect and will be in the NICU for a while after birth. Mom wants to make sure there's enough to supplement with breast milk while her supply comes in and builds up since it will be some time before baby will be strong enough to nurse from the breast exclusively.

I'm game but my supply has totally regulated and I don't pump extra because DD won't take bottles. What's an easy way to give my supply a quick boost? Baby isn't doing so well and may be delivered soon!

Advertisement

Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Donation question

Try pumping a few times a day after a feed - that'll signal your body to up production. You may want to try eating oatmeal & perhaps a little fenugreek too to speed things along.

You're an awesome friend to do this!!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
TakeATumsForThat
Registered Users

double post.

Last edited by TakeATumsForThat; 06-27-2013 at 12:39 PM.
TakeATumsForThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
TakeATumsForThat
Registered Users

I gave myself a massive oversupply using a hospital grade pump while my baby was in the NICU, so when I managed to regulate I was happy NOT to pump for over a month. At The Great Cloth Diaper Change locally I was told about Human Milk 4 Human Babies and began pumping again. It's an amazing feeling to be able to provide nourishment for not only your own child, but someone else's as well! I've managed to donate over 1200 ounces in four months now!

I started by pumping my free side while my daughter nursed on the other (we block feed, so she only gets one breast per feed), then pumping what's left on the nursed-at-breast after she's done. I did this every feeding at first (she never seemed to be hungrier because of it either), and now I do probably every other. At night I pump immediately after putting her to bed, and because it's another four hours or so before I turn in, I pump again just before sleeping. I think I probably get the most first thing in the morning though, since she doesn't nurse all night. Doing this I get about 9-12 ounces a day stored.

I eat old fashioned oatmeal every morning with a tablespoon of golden flaxseed (healthy fats!) and a tablespoon of nutritional yeast mixed in (lots of cinnamon to mask that yeasty taste). I buy both in bulk at our local natural market. Nutritional yeast is honestly much better on savory dishes, such as eggs. It's almost cheesy then. It's great though -- full of B12, protein, and folic acid. You can take it in tablet form under the name of Brewer's Yeast if you want.

Fenugreek is the old standby for upping your supply, but I honestly never needed it. I'm form a family of heavy milkers, so my supply bounced right back up with just the extra pumping.

Edit: Double posted for some reason?

Last edited by TakeATumsForThat; 06-27-2013 at 12:39 PM.
TakeATumsForThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
radmama12
Registered Users

Pump in the early morning, that's when your body is producing a lot. I get up before my baby to pump to store or donate one day : )

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
radmama12 is offline   Reply With Quote