Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: supply issues in the evenings.

How can you tell nothing is coming out? Babies are way more efficient at suckling than the pump is at pumping. My baby reverse cycles. She will drink less than 8 oz from 7 am to 5 pm when I get home from work. Then she nurses several times throughout the evening, even though my supply has most definitely dipped. She is gaining fine, although she is petite like her parents.

Advertisement

keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
How can you tell nothing is coming out? Babies are way more efficient at suckling than the pump is at pumping. My baby reverse cycles. She will drink less than 8 oz from 7 am to 5 pm when I get home from work. Then she nurses several times throughout the evening, even though my supply has most definitely dipped. She is gaining fine, although she is petite like her parents.
Absolutely this. The ONLY way to know how much your baby is actually able to extract is with an intake scale.

And I agree with other PPs - supply is always highest in the morning, and lowest in the evenings. That's just the way we're made.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
How old was your baby when you noticed the fussiness? Any chance it was a growth spurt?

I think you're hurting your supply by feeding a bottle and then nursing. That's gonna cause problems. He is creating demand when he's on that bottle.

And comfort nursing - if they aren't swallowing - is fine and normal too.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
Because he sucks a good 8-10 times and swallows once. Although there's obviously SOMETHING coming out, he also acts extremely frustrated and doesn't seem to be getting a whole lot. He nursed for almost an hour lastnight, and I would be willing to bet that he swallowed less than 30 times in that whole session.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
How old was your baby when you noticed the fussiness? Any chance it was a growth spurt?

I think you're hurting your supply by feeding a bottle and then nursing. That's gonna cause problems. He is creating demand when he's on that bottle.

And comfort nursing - if they aren't swallowing - is fine and normal too.
It was just for yesterday. When I gave him the bottle, I gave him 3 ounces, then waited 10-15 minutes. When he started showing hunger, I gave him another ounce. He took the last ounce about 20 minutes later. So it wasn't chugged all in one sitting. I haven't pumped in several weeks before that. I just wanted to make sure that I was producing a decent amount. I did pump this morning for comfort, after he ate, and put the bottle in the fridge in case we run into issues this evening. He was fussy/eating/whining for almost 4.5 hours lastnight. It's too much on my stress level.

The fussiness has been for about 4-5 days now. He is 9 weeks old today.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
saturn
Registered Users

I didn't have supply problems (baby gained great), but my baby definitely cluster fed in the evenings and it seemed like my supply was lower in the evenings. That's pretty normal. Sometimes if the baby was really fussy and I needed a break, I would have DH give her a bottle of pumped milk in the evenings (I was pumping in the morning to build up a freezer stash for when I returned to work). It really wasn't necessary, but it helped me keep my sanity.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #17
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
It was just for yesterday. When I gave him the bottle, I gave him 3 ounces, then waited 10-15 minutes. When he started showing hunger, I gave him another ounce. He took the last ounce about 20 minutes later. So it wasn't chugged all in one sitting. I haven't pumped in several weeks before that. I just wanted to make sure that I was producing a decent amount. I did pump this morning for comfort, after he ate, and put the bottle in the fridge in case we run into issues this evening. He was fussy/eating/whining for almost 4.5 hours lastnight. It's too much on my stress level.

The fussiness has been for about 4-5 days now. He is 9 weeks old today.
The witching hour also starts around this age where baby will just cry for hours in the evening. Nothing usually consoles them. My kids went through this. Just an FYI in case it escalates.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #18
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You say he also gets the bottle. I'm wondering if he's getting frustrated because the bottle is easier to get out milk than the breast?
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #19
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It's totally normal. They cluster feed to increase supply. Unless he is not gaining I don't think it's anything to be concerned with. Let him nurse as he wants and don't worry about swallowing. The only way to increase supply is to spend more time on the breast.

Good luck!! You can do this
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote