Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #11
lovemytwo126
Registered Users

Re: Joining the Night Weaning Club

i have been thinking of night weaning and this gave me the courage todo it!

Advertisement

lovemytwo126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wow - hard but I am impressed with you getting her to go to sleep with no nursing.

I did it a little differently. I still nurse her to sleep, then put her in her bed. usually she wakes up sometime during the night and crawls into my bed but I won't nurse her during the night. It took about a few weeks (partly because a sometimes she would manage to start nursing without waking me up (!) but now she knows "no nursing until morning when the radio goes on." On weekends now she wait until about 7 or so then just go turn the radio on herself - lol.

She is over 3 now and one of these days I will wean her completely but she is my last and I can't quite bring myself to do it!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #13
mamaspice
Registered Users

We are still making progress. I had planned to wait until some family trips were over to start eliminating night feedings one at a time, but she seems to be starting the process on her own.

She used to only sleep for 3 hrs max at a time and would always wake up around 10:30 or 11 for milk. On her own last week, she started sleeping until 1:30 or 2:00 for several nights before waking. Now she is going until 2:30 or 3. 9-3 is the longest stretch she has done but six hours is a huge improvement! So I'm going to give it some time. I am enjoying getting a little sleep in the comfort of my own bed before joining her. I think the longer stretches are a direct result of learning to go to sleep without nursing as she can transition between sleep cycles without freaking out for a nipple.

Also in the early morning if she is nursing a ton or her latch is weird and it's bugging me I can usually pop her off and tell her we are going to sleep and will have more milk later. Sometimes takes a song or two but working most of the time.

Much less fussing and distress from her at bedtime now too. All in all I'm very pleased with how it's going.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #14
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieism
Wow - hard but I am impressed with you getting her to go to sleep with no nursing.

I did it a little differently. I still nurse her to sleep, then put her in her bed. usually she wakes up sometime during the night and crawls into my bed but I won't nurse her during the night. It took about a few weeks (partly because a sometimes she would manage to start nursing without waking me up (!) but now she knows "no nursing until morning when the radio goes on." On weekends now she wait until about 7 or so then just go turn the radio on herself - lol.

She is over 3 now and one of these days I will wean her completely but she is my last and I can't quite bring myself to do it!
I tried this first but she would get very upset and wake completely (for hours) if I didn't nurse her back to sleep immediately in the middle of the night. So I decided to tackle the bedtime nursing first instead and it seems to be working.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
mamaspice
Registered Users

SHE SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT! First time in 21 months.

She slept until almost six, then woke for milk and went back down for another couple hours.

I didn't even have to do phase two, she did it on her own!

Unless it's a fluke; please don't be a fluke!