Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Almost 10 months and having issues....help

Definitely yeast. My last case of thrush came on BECAUSE I had just taken abx for strep throat. Abx kill the good bacteria too, letting the yeast take over your body. I take a small 1 oz spray bottle (found at Walmart in the travel soap section) and fill it halfway with water and 15-20 drops of GSE in it. I spray my nipples and let them air dry.

Yeast loves dark moist places. So if your nursing pads get at all wet, change them. Do not leave wet ones on. Air out as much as you can. Go topless if possible. (I can't do this now because I have a 7 year old boy at home!) I've also taken a "yeast cleanse" that has GSE and TTO and a bunch of other things in it. It says not to take if you're nursing, but my midwife said it was fine. Also, cut out sugar and refined carbs for a while if you can.

Advertisement

DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
erinbethp
Registered Users
seller

You probably need to finish the antibiotics, but I would start probiotics for you and the baby, so that you can replenish the good bacteria. Antibiotics can't tell the difference between the bad bacteria and the good bacteria that would help get the yeast back in balance.
erinbethp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post

But isn't that only the case if you actually have a bacterial infection? Then the bacteria can become resistant. But if she doesn't have an infection, then there is no "bad" bacteria to become resistant. All they are doing is killing good bacteria in her system. Stopping them shouldn't negatively affect anything.

But, I see what you mean about antibiotics and amtifungals being prescribed together. Yeah, she could keep taking them just in case and then really load up on probiotics.
You do always have low level of bacteria in your system. Your immune system usually keeps their numbers in check, but the antibiotics can still make them resistant if you stop a course early.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks ladies. I was gone for the holidays and left the antibiotics at home, I grabbed some grapefuit extract and it has worked like a dream. We've been boiling ds's pacis and bottles and I plan to bleach this weekend.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok help again, now my nipples are super super dry, cracked, peeling and itchy!!...what can i do?

Last edited by PurpleDaffodil; 07-07-2013 at 08:58 PM.
PurpleDaffodil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #16
erinbethp
Registered Users
seller

Re: Almost 10 months and having issues....help ** edit new question**

lanolin? actually maybe coconut oil? that might be helpful to the thrush, because it has antibacterial* properties... as long as you aren't concerned about any nut allergies.
*and antifungal
erinbethp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #17
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinbethp View Post
lanolin? actually maybe coconut oil? that might be helpful to the thrush, because it has antibacterial* properties... as long as you aren't concerned about any nut allergies.
*and antifungal
i heard lanolin was a big no no because it doesnt let your nipples breath and traps bacteria. Was thinking of trying coconut oil though
Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
saturn
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinbethp View Post
*and antifungal
Despite it's name, coconut is not actually a nut. Allergies to coconut are rare and unrelated to nut allergies.
I'd give coconut oil a try. It definitely feels much nicer on the skin than lanolin.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

I'd second (third?) coconut oil.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
Jeanne123
Registered Users
seller

See if you can get all purpose nipple ointment (APNO). It is the best for any kind of nipple discomfort! Go to kellymom.com and look it up. You will need to call your obgyn and have them call in a prescription for it to a pharmacy where the pharmacist actually mixes, such as a pharmacy in a hospital. My nextdoor neighbor is a lactation consultant and helped me out when I was dealing with this. I used gentian violet and the APNO. The APNO works for any kind of discomfort besides thrush. When you wean and the hormones start shifting, you might experience some nipple discomfort again like PMS or early pregnancy type nipple pain and the APNO will help then too.
Jeanne123 is offline   Reply With Quote