Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #21
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: When you started bfing did you set long term goals?

I had a goal of 12 months. I never got that far with my other 3 (4 mos, 11 mos, 9 mos then exclusely pumped till 12 mos). I had a low supply, a baby that preferred the bottle, and lip tie. I thought I would have to quit altogether from beginning. At 3 months he got back on the breast and never looked back. We are at almost 15 months now.

Advertisement

l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #22
mamacita1222
Registered Users

Sort of. I never said I would BF until X months, but I also never prepared for FF. I had a pump and three bottles in the back of a closet, and figured that would be something to try before going out and buying formula. I remember my mother asking if she should bring some formula just in case. I said no, I don't want it to tempt me. Good thing too, because I might have reached for it in a growth spurt.

I got lucky with a "good BF baby". No problems, thank God. I still took it a day at a time. After 2 uncomfortable months we hit a good rhythm and I decided to set a goal for a year.

10 months now, and I kind of feel done but I'm so close to the end that I'm going to stick it out. He only nurses at nap time (2-3x), bedtime, and dawn.

I applaud people who can go to two years, but that is just not for me.
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #23
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My goal is always a year. I've pretty much always made it there or a little past. My goal is the same for my twins as well. I think a year is good for me, but I applaud those who nurse longer
Old 06-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #24
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My goal is always 24 months
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't really set goals with my first, but she nursed until she was 4.5 years old. Now I really want all of my children to nurse at least that long because that is *my* normal. My DS is 2y 3m and his interest is waning (he's a very different personality than my DD), so I worry he will wean soon. But I could be pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #26
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
My goal has always been a year. Ds1 was 13 months when he self weaned. Ds2 was a very sensitive baby (he is ASD, and has mild sensory issues so this is explained now) and fussed at the breast always and it hurt so badly I couldn't deal. He was ff from 5 weeks on. Ds3 was 23 months and 3 weeks. I was so hoping to wait until he was 2 to wean but it was his choice. Dd is 23 months and she is still nursing strong, 4-6 times per day. I don't think an end is near.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #27
Smitty241
Registered Users
seller

My original goal was at least 6 months, hopefully 12 months. BF started out so easy in the hospital for us, so I thought reaching the goal would be no problem. But alas, things aren't so easy anymore. We just passed our 1 month mark and now I'm just taking it day by day.
Smitty241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:12 AM   #28
rotersonne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My goal is 6 months. The first month was rocky, now she wants to nurse all the time. We're at month 4, and I don't foresee her wanting to stop at month 6 so I'll just keep nursing her until she wants to stop on her own. I rather enjoy it now.

Sent from my EVO using DS Forum
rotersonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #29
BirthdayMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With both my girls, I'd wanted to let them decide when to be done. With ODD, I fought tooth and nail to keep nursing, but only made to to 10 months, as I had gotten unexpectedly pregnant, and my milk supply dried up entirely at 10 weeks along. DD just got so angry when she went to nurse and there was nothing there that I gave up. I still regret that to this day, especially since we ended up losing that baby at 19 weeks.

DD2 is now 12.5 months, and still loves nursing, so I'm hoping to make it to 2 years and re-evaluate. If a pregnancy causes her to self-wean before then, I will be pretty devastated, though. Nursing her is seriously one of my greatest joys. She just loves it so much, but she's already self-night-weaned (which I wasn't expecting, as she dropped both night feedings in the same week), so I'm not sure how she'd react to hormonal changes.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #30
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With DS1 I was super committed and had the goal of 30 months- 2.5 yrs old ...I only made it to 19 months and was very depressed for months. Now I have an almost 4mo old and just as committed but want to make it to 2 yrs old. Circumstances are different now so I think we will make it

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote