Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
themrshunt
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Help breastfeeding twins

So I gave birth to our twins on Friday via c-section. We are all doing great and my milk came in Sunday/Monday. I've already developed thrush on both sides so I'm on diflucan, got APNO, and will probably use gentian violet if it doesn't ease up in the next day or so (I just really don't want to deal with the mess with 2 babies).
Baby boy is a boob-a-holic, constantly nursing and doing a great job. Baby Girl is sleepier but is nursing ok most of the time. The really frustrating thing is at times she will latch and unlatch, latch suck a few times, unlatch over and over and over. Sometimes it is a burp or a wet diaper but other times she just seems to do it. Sometimes if I switch sides she will latch and be good. Is there another cause I should be looking into? With the thrush the constant latching is terrible so if I can get her to stop that would be great!
TIA,

Advertisement

themrshunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help breastfeeding twins

the thrush can definitely cause the latching issues. with my DS, most of the time he does that because he needs to burp, or because he is just done eating. lately, it has been because he is upset that the flow isn't as fast as he wants it to be.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
need some diaps!
Registered Users
seller

I don't have any advice but wanted to say you are awesome and good luck
need some diaps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Were they early or small? Did you look into a tongue tie? Or maybe she's just figuring all of it out Congrats by the way! I'm ebfing my 11 week old twins, and it's something! Make sure you keep an eye on the one who doesn't eat as much. I'm sure you will, but it's easy to lose track with two an end up with one not gaining like they should (speaking from experience :/ )
Old 07-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
themrshunt
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by need some diaps!
I don't have any advice but wanted to say you are awesome and good luck
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bai18176
Were they early or small? Did you look into a tongue tie? Or maybe she's just figuring all of it out Congrats by the way! I'm ebfing my 11 week old twins, and it's something! Make sure you keep an eye on the one who doesn't eat as much. I'm sure you will, but it's easy to lose track with two an end up with one not gaining like they should (speaking from experience :/ )
Congrats on 11 weeks, that's awesome! Mine were 38 weeks exactly and both over 6 lbs. (but they were pumped up on fluid from the C/S). The ped looked at him for tongue tie because my older son was but didn't check her out. She seems to have a good range of motion though so idk.
It really is hard to keep track of who has done what recently, sorry you had to deal with one not gaining. We go Wednesday for a weight check again to make sure everything is working right.
themrshunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
erinbethp
Registered Users
seller

How is your supply and let down? Perhaps the flow is too much for her, so that might explain why one side is ok and the other not... the side her brother was just on would be slower and easier to handle. Perhaps try having brother help out with the first let down and then put her on, until she gets the hang of things, but you'd have to watch and make sure brother isn't getting too much foremilk. You can also hand express some.
erinbethp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

We had thrush & it really does suck.

What worked for us was to get children's probiotic powder & make a paste out of it and I would cotton swab dd's cheeks with the paste & also before & after nursing put the paste on my nipples. It relieved the burn/itch

But since your babies are so young (dd was 3 months-ish when we battled thrush) I would as the pediatrician if that is okay 1st

Also change your breast pads often & shower or wash down your breasts often

Congrats & seriously you GO MAMA! Nursing twins is so AWESOME!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Our son was put on a probiotic as early as 2 weeks old so you should be fine. Sorry you are battling thrush. That totally sucks.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by themrshunt

Thanks!

Congrats on 11 weeks, that's awesome! Mine were 38 weeks exactly and both over 6 lbs..
It really is hard to keep track of who has done what recently, sorry you had to deal with one not gaining. We go Wednesday for a weight check again to make sure everything is working right.
Great job carrying those babies! What good weights!
I got an app for my phone to keep track until everyone was gaining well and we could just feed on demand. I think it was total baby. If you get one, just make sure you can do two babies. It really helped me for a few weeks. It's so hard to keep track. No help with thrush here, but you are doing great, and it is difficult. Hang in there! Lmk if there are any other questions that are twin related I can help with . I'm online a lot while feeding babies...