Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

how old for snap circuit

Liam is 5.5 years old.

is he old enough?

thanks

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: how old for snap circuit

Depends. My 8 yo loves them and does them alone with no problem. He's a lego type kid. My 6 yo has NO desire and would never touch them. He doesn't do legos, he is more artsy and athletic. I'd say if he likes legos (or building things, figuring out they work,...) and if he can "read" picture instructions-much like legos, he'll be great with them. Maybe he'll need a parents help at first but once he sees stuff lighting up, spinning, making sounds,... he will be more motivated to figure it out on his own.

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son loves them and I got them after he turned 4. He does needs help to do them though. I think it is good for that age even if you have to help.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

DS got them the Christmas he was 6. He liked them from the beginning, but needed a lot more help at first. And, he didn't really grasp how the circuits worked or how to do any of his own. Now at 7 he's able to follow the directions on any of them, without much direct help. And he's starting to understand the circuits better. (Probably would understand much more if either DH or I knew enough about electricity to explain it better.)
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
bethdrews
Registered Users
seller

I think it really depends on the child. My son got them this past Christmas. He was 6.5. He still needs help, so my husband or 11yr old DD work on it with him. One word of caution...we bought the wall plug so we didn't have to use batteries. This isn't a super good idea unless an adult helps or the child understands well. There is a 6v connection and a 12v (I think those are the numbers). If it should be plugged into the 6v but the child plugs it into the 12v, it will blow out the light bulb or whatever you're working with. Even my 11 yr old, after being told, didn't get this and we have a couple messed up pieces. My son was very excited to get his kit, but has only worked with it a handful of times. Maybe when he gets older...or maybe he's just not that kind of kid?!?
bethdrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

We have two different sets and I was thinking of bringing them out next year when my fifth child turns four
Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
KaliShanti
Registered Users
seller

Depends on the child and how much you want to be involved. If you want it to be an independent thing, the child needs to know how to read quite well (think third grade level maybe) because mixing up the wrong things can lead to short circuiting. If you are involved, 5 could be a good age, but again depends. My son got them for Christmas when he was five but he was able to read all the instructions and LOVED it.