Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: OMG, there is PEE EVERYWHERE...

Definitely sounds like he's not ready. If he's wet 10X++ per day then he has no bladder control yet. All of mine were down to 4-5 wet diapers per 24hours when we potty trained them. If they are truly ready it should only take a day or two for everything to click and very few accidents for a few weeks after that, then home free. My advice is to put the undies away for now and try again in a few months. My girls were all around 2y9-10m and my boys all 3y to 3y4m before potty training "took".

Advertisement

lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
Personally, to me it doesn't sound like he is ready. I would quit for now and try again in a month or so. I am a lazy potty trainer, if I have To constantly follow them around asking if they need to go every 10 minutes and clean up pee all the time, we don't do it. I have potty trained 7 kids now, 2 still in diapers. What I have found is it will click one day and be very easy for them. We never force them or train like you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I have potty trained hundreds of kids. (I have seriously NEVER had a parent who potty trained their own child. I've had to do every single kid)

Anyway, I give it three days, and if it's not done by the beginning of the third day, we quit and try again in a few months. It's usually done in one day...but sometimes it's a little more.

You can tell by the second day if it's going to fail.

Peer pressure is wonderful. If one kid goes potty over here, they take the rookie with them. The girls love to be head potty trainer for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemom View Post
Definitely sounds like he's not ready. If he's wet 10X++ per day then he has no bladder control yet. All of mine were down to 4-5 wet diapers per 24hours when we potty trained them. If they are truly ready it should only take a day or two for everything to click and very few accidents for a few weeks after that, then home free. My advice is to put the undies away for now and try again in a few months. My girls were all around 2y9-10m and my boys all 3y to 3y4m before potty training "took".
Based on these comments, sounds like I made a good call to head back into diapers. This morning confirmed I made the right choice. He felt himself pee in his diaper. He yells "Momma, pot... no no no." I asked him if he needed to go potty. "nope. Nope nope"

So we'll hold off. I'm all about the wait for easy training, 3 days and done. I don't mind waiting...
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...

Last edited by Hope4More; 07-08-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Neither of my kids completly PT in 3 days my first required a good deal of physical therapy to get her ready but that was a special situation... My most recent took about 3 weeks to really get things down deffiently had a huge grasp after a good 3 day run.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Just pt'd DS at just about 2y9m as well. The first 2 days were just like you described. I could tell when he needed to pee, so I wouldn't let him leave the bathroom until he did, even if that meant peeing in the shower. On day 3 something clicked and he started making it into the toilet. (though I let him pee in the shower if he refused to sit on the toilet. It was still a success IMO) By the end of the week he was having very few accidents. Anyway, just saying he might need a few more days before you throw in the towel.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #15
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
Based on these comments, sounds like I made a good call to head back into diapers. This morning confirmed I made the right choice. He felt himself pee in his diaper. He yells "Momma, pot... no no no." I asked him if he needed to go potty. "nope. Nope nope"

So we'll hold off. I'm all about the wait for easy training, 3 days and done. I don't mind waiting...
My son went from "sooo not ready" to "let's do this!" very quickly. I thought PTing would never happen, and then it was done. Easy peasy.

I think waiting is a good choice. I'd rather change diapers than chase my naked kid around while cleaning pee off every surface in the house.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #16
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
Personally, to me it doesn't sound like he is ready. I would quit for now and try again in a month or so. I am a lazy potty trainer, if I have To constantly follow them around asking if they need to go every 10 minutes and clean up pee all the time, we don't do it. I have potty trained 7 kids now, 2 still in diapers. What I have found is it will click one day and be very easy for them. We never force them or train like you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
This exactly. When they were ready it was literally a couple days and no accidents. I do not want pee on my floor anywhere in the house. The toilet misses by little boys are bad enough.

With my first daycare tried to force the issue and it was a huge disaster and ended up being a long battle. I finally had to really put my foot down and tell her she was not allowed to put him on the potty until I said it was okay. He ended up taking way longer and being older than necessary.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #17
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay, I am seriously cracking up, but it's in complete sympathy.
PTing sucks, and I am convinced that everyone who says their LO PTed in 1, 2, 3 days is just flat out lying or delusional. It took us a solid 6 mos to get "mostly" there.

Definitely stock up on the Mommy Juice (lol that is what it's called in my house too) and the chocolate.

What I did - and probably why it took so dang long - is that if I was SO NOT in the mood for this, I just put DD back in diapers for the rest of the day, and started fresh the next day. As she sloooowly got things figured out, those days occurred less frequently.

Also, we have two small dogs who seem to think that pee and poop in the potty is FOR THEIR ENJOYMENT. Phrase you never thought to utter: "Please sit down so Doggie doesn't get your peepee!" They apparently thought PTing meant "it's okay to pee on the floor." Grrrrrrrr.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #18
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisu View Post
My son went from "sooo not ready" to "let's do this!" very quickly. I thought PTing would never happen, and then it was done. Easy peasy.

I think waiting is a good choice. I'd rather change diapers than chase my naked kid around while cleaning pee off every surface in the house.
This. DS was 3 years and a few months when he trained. Before then he would tantrum to no end if I even mentioned sitting on the potty. One day I was just fed up. I forced him to pick out a pair of underwear and I told him that he was going to be in trouble if he peed in them. I knew he was ready and I was right. We had a basket full of small reward toys to earn each time he went on the potty. He was so stubborn the first day that held his bladder for half of the day, despite the fact that I was pumping him full of juice. (Any kid that can hold it that long is DANG ready to potty train!) Once he finally gave in and peed on the potty, his reward was sweet. He couldn't wait to do it over again. By the time the prize basket was empty, the potty was a solidified routine. We're about two months in now. He has occasional accidents but I'm confident enough to take him out of the house in regular underwear.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #19
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley84 View Post
This. DS was 3 years and a few months when he trained. Before then he would tantrum to no end if I even mentioned sitting on the potty. One day I was just fed up. I forced him to pick out a pair of underwear and I told him that he was going to be in trouble if he peed in them. I knew he was ready and I was right. We had a basket full of small reward toys to earn each time he went on the potty. He was so stubborn the first day that held his bladder for half of the day, despite the fact that I was pumping him full of juice. (Any kid that can hold it that long is DANG ready to potty train!) Once he finally gave in and peed on the potty, his reward was sweet. He couldn't wait to do it over again. By the time the prize basket was empty, the potty was a solidified routine. We're about two months in now. He has occasional accidents but I'm confident enough to take him out of the house in regular underwear.
When we do this in September, I might try this with those $1 cars. He LOVES cars (more than m&ms), and what a great incentive to pee and get a car! Even $20 worth of cars is only 2 weeks worth of diapers!
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #20
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post
Okay, I am seriously cracking up, but it's in complete sympathy.
PTing sucks, and I am convinced that everyone who says their LO PTed in 1, 2, 3 days is just flat out lying or delusional. It took us a solid 6 mos to get "mostly" there.

Definitely stock up on the Mommy Juice (lol that is what it's called in my house too) and the chocolate.

What I did - and probably why it took so dang long - is that if I was SO NOT in the mood for this, I just put DD back in diapers for the rest of the day, and started fresh the next day. As she sloooowly got things figured out, those days occurred less frequently.

Also, we have two small dogs who seem to think that pee and poop in the potty is FOR THEIR ENJOYMENT. Phrase you never thought to utter: "Please sit down so Doggie doesn't get your peepee!" They apparently thought PTing meant "it's okay to pee on the floor." Grrrrrrrr.
Nope not lying. I just didnt' do any sort of PT training until he was ready to be completely on his own with very few reminders from me. I wanted my child to potty train, not me be responsible for him to make it to the potty.