Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
erinbethp
Registered Users
seller

Same sex grandparents?

Just wondering if anyone else has gay or lesbian grandparents in their family? DH's mother is a lesbian and in a same sex marriage. His father is remarried, and my parents are divorced and my father is remarried as well, so my kids have 5 grandmothers! I'm always blown away by how much their "step" grandmothers are so wonderful with them and love my kids like they are blood relations.

Advertisement

erinbethp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Same sex grandparents?

I don't have that in my family but because of divorce and remarriages and me being close with all of my "dads" (I have 3), my son has 4 grandpa's (all known as grandpa), 3 grandmas and 3 great grandmothers (only 1 does he see at all though). I don't see how it would be much different honestly.

The only issue we have had with it is sometimes he sees all older people as "grandma or grandpa". That I don't think is that bad of a thing to have.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

No same-sex marriages among the grandparents here, but like pp, we have an abundance of grandparents due to my IL's divorces and DH's step-parents. My kids have 3 grandfathers and 4 grandmothers. DD1 is the only one old enough to notice. Just a few months ago, she asked FIL why he has 2 wives (he's actually on his 3rd wife). He turned beet red and was speechless! She does love all of them and they love the step-grandkids like their own!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Tordreamer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My Dh's mom is also a lesbian she actually just left a long time relationship and is dating someone new. It sometimes makes for interesting dinner conversation since our oldest is 10 and starting to ask questions.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Not grandparents but close friends that they refer to as Aunts. They are Auntie K and Auntie T, my children don't know any different and have never asked questions I assume because to them it is just their aunties and B's momma and mommy.
The only comment ever made was from my daughter when she was around 5 she said "mom B is really lucky to have 2 mom's because moms are just better at some stuff"
Not that it matters but we also have a same sex couple as neighbours, super nice guys who sometimes cut my grass for me. I have raised my kids to see families as families despite their differences
Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Amandamama
Registered Users

Great kids picture book by Patricia Polacco: In Our Mothers' House about lesbian couple raising their adopted kids & then become grandparents as the kids grow
Amandamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
erinbethp
Registered Users
seller

Oh thank you for the book recommendation! It sounds fantastic!
erinbethp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
stephsicola
Registered Users
seller

Yes! My mom is gay, and she's been married for more than twenty years (although of course her marriage just became legally recognized in Delaware ). Her wife/partner is a fabulous grandmother to my two nieces and my daughter.

One niece, who is currently going into fourth grade, once asked "Why do Grandmom and Linnie live together?" My sister said,

"Because they love each other. Just like mommy and daddy love each other."

"Okay." End of story

My dad remarried as well, so my daughter has four grandmas. It's pretty awesome.
stephsicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My FIL is gay. He is our live-in "manny" for DD!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
BootsNBuckles
Registered Users

I hope my kids are as awesome as you all when my partner and I become grandmas! Kudos!
Brittany , Student and Wife to Omar , Proud parents of 3 girls, M, 9, J, 7 & E, 5 and hoping for bean #4 very soon! Team BLUE
BootsNBuckles is offline   Reply With Quote