Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
MrsCCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bac-Out Question

Hi mamas! I'm getting ready to do an overnight soak with Bac-Out to try and battle the stink LO's diapers have had lately, and I've got some questions:

- How much Bac-Out should I use for an HE FL?
- Cold, warm, or hot water?
- Do I need to run another rinse in the morning before starting my usual wash cycle with detergent or will the Bac-Out rinse out just fine in the wash?
- Is this something I should start doing regularly to keep things as clean as possible?

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bac-Out Question

I used bac-out for our first year or so of diapering. Loved the smell and the longevity. However, I discovered I was using far too much (spraying it on every dirty diaper as it went in the bag, then washing with the bacout laundry soap). Bac-Out, apparently, can build up very easily :-)

If you're talking about the green label bac-out and not the laundry soap, go by the instructions on the back. It is an obscenely small amount, I believe. I actually never added it to my wash, just sprayed dipes with it, but I have used the all purpose cleaner and laundry soap A LOT. It is incredibly concentrated and you can absolutely trust the dilution it gives you. If it tells you one teaspoon for 10 gallons of water (yes, exaggeration), they mean it. Resist your instincts to add additional drops.

Hot water.
Do a hot water wash with no additives first. You don't have to run it all the way but it helps to agitate and rinse the diapers beforehand.
Yes on second rinse. Always. especially with bacout because it can be fairly sudsy.
If you can set your water level to maximum, do that as well.
No need to wash afterward but extended sunning afterward can't hurt.

We have mineral rich water over here and I get stink regularly if I don't take the time for a few extra laundry steps:
1. Prewash with no additives, at least once a week,
2. Extra rinse. Always.
3. Max water, always.
Cleokatrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
McDMom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCCW
Hi mamas! I'm getting ready to do an overnight soak with Bac-Out to try and battle the stink LO's diapers have had lately, and I've got some questions:

- How much Bac-Out should I use for an HE FL?
- Cold, warm, or hot water?
- Do I need to run another rinse in the morning before starting my usual wash cycle with detergent or will the Bac-Out rinse out just fine in the wash?
- Is this something I should start doing regularly to keep things as clean as possible?

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
Hot water will kill the enzymes so don't use it in your first step or you just wasted most of its benefits. Use cold (best) or warm (okay). Use Bacout in the prewash and then do a hot wash.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
litigatrix
Registered Users
seller

I haven't used Bac-Out in the way you describe, but I do use it preventively. I have been using it for over a year and have not had any problems with stink. All I do is spray 4 squirts of the Bac-Out into the pre-wash container on my FL. The Tide goes into the detergent container. It does need to be used with the cold cycle, as someone else mentioned. After using it this way for over a year, I still have most of a bottle left and no stinkies!
litigatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
MrsCCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for the advice, mamas! I'm about to pull the diapers out of the wash to see how it worked! I think I will start using it regularly in the prewash as a preventative measure - dealing with the stink is no fun!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use it to soak my nighttime inserts in there wet pail. I use a squirt in a small shoe box size tupperware. It would wash out in your normal cycles.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I use it to soak my nighttime inserts in there wet pail. I use a squirt in a small shoe box size tupperware. It would wash out in your normal cycles.
That's interesting.

So you soak one in water and bac out. How long do you soak it for and you just toss it in laundry water and all? What are your inserts for night?

How often do you wash? Do you use there detergent too?

Sorry to hijack
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
MrsCCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by litigatrix View Post
I haven't used Bac-Out in the way you describe, but I do use it preventively. I have been using it for over a year and have not had any problems with stink. All I do is spray 4 squirts of the Bac-Out into the pre-wash container on my FL. The Tide goes into the detergent container. It does need to be used with the cold cycle, as someone else mentioned. After using it this way for over a year, I still have most of a bottle left and no stinkies!
Are you using the spray bottle version or the one with a flip cap on top? I'm thinking 4 squirts would be a pretty different amount depending on which one I'm using, haha. Just wanted to check!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
litigatrix
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCCW View Post
Are you using the spray bottle version or the one with a flip cap on top? I'm thinking 4 squirts would be a pretty different amount depending on which one I'm using, haha. Just wanted to check!
The spray version

litigatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
That's interesting.

So you soak one in water and bac out. How long do you soak it for and you just toss it in laundry water and all? What are your inserts for night?

How often do you wash? Do you use there detergent too?

Sorry to hijack
I use MF and hemp in pockets at night. I found the MF was coming of the wash stinky when DS was about 6 months old. I setup a small container that I soak just those inserts in. These days I wash every 3 days so the first ones get soaked that long and the newest ones at the most soak during the day. In theory it would help with bacteria build up and keeping the pee from drying in the center of the insert.

Has worked for me for 3 years.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote