Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #21
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Quadruplets in CDs?

Just one more piece of advice: with all the money you're saving on using cloth, use it to buy a second washer (and second dryer if you want). You can skip a pail and pail liners, just throw the diapers straight in the washer. You can put your changing table close to the washer to make it easier. Then, when your diaper washer is full, wash. You still have a washer for all the other laundry that a family of 6+ has.

Advertisement

Last edited by NewMommy6111; 07-09-2013 at 09:39 AM.
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #22
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dp
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #23
Txladybug
Registered Users

Congrats on the quads and I agree that you can totally do it!

It it were me, I would find the easiest things to wash and dry possible. I would also avoid pockets (and I love pockets) because the stuffing would just be too much. I would go with sized prefolds and covers. I agree with previous suggestion of Rumparooz newborn covers. They are cheaper than thirsties and the aplix holds up way better.

I would plan to do stick with mostly prefolds and covers when babies move to one size diapers. You can just dump prefolds into one bin in the changing table and covers in another and grab and go as necessary without really needing to fold them. I would also get some Bumgenius freetimes because they are super easy AIOs that hang dry pretty quickly.

If you have prefolds and covers and BG Freetimes, you can dry all the prefolds on high and hang dry covers and Freetimes to have a simple wash routine. I would skip natural fiber AIOs because they take a long time to dry and you can't dry on high heat because of the PUL.

You should also keep an eye out for cottonbabies seconds sales and start stocking up when they list things! Good luck!
Txladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #24
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

It seems like tri-folded prefolds in aplix covers (bummis super brite or sweetpea NB?) is a good way to go. What about supplementing with 2dz sweetpea NB AIOs? Those look like they would fit nice and small and they have h&l closure. That would probably be much easier for helpers.

Another option would be GMD workhorse fitteds with snaps and machine washable wool or fleece longies. Those should be easy for caregivers, fast for you, and they wash/dry well.

Just remember that you can always re-sell your NB stash to recoup some money!

Great customer service from:

Last edited by meljc; 07-09-2013 at 09:34 AM.
meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #25
txmommytobe
Registered Users

My Mood:
I would do prefolds and covers too. I would have a basket for prefolds and one for covers and just grab one of each when you go to change.....thus eliminating folding. I would think 100 prefolds and probably 30-40 covers also
Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #26
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have cloth diapered 2 average sized newborns- 7 & 8 1/2 pounds and both were in preemie prefolds for a while. I double them up for enough absorbency without too much bulk and snappi on. I found GMD orange edges to be too stiff and bulky for my taste and didn't use them.

Preemie prefolds are cheap and I would try to buy them used- you can bleach them or wash on sanitary cycle.

I would wash every night when going to bed- dry in the morning. That way you don't need more than a day and a half of diapers. I'd probaby have no less than 20 diapers per baby in the beginning. That would be 160 preemie prefolds (you should be able to get them cheaper but they are $1/each shipped from cotton babies) and I'd prob have about 20 covers.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
I would definitely have enough diapers for 3 days of rotation. 1 in laundry, 1 needing to be folded, and 1 in rotation. That way you are not strapped tryng to fold diapers.
I agree with this 90-100 so you can accomplish this. I also like the idea of prefolds or inserts in covers. You'd needs lots of extra covers but you could reuse the some.

also be wary if they are coming tiny or not. Not sure which brand covers would be best for them.

Good Luck!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #28
mamaspice
Registered Users

I agree with either trifolded sized prefolds in aplix covers or aplix aios, depending on your budget.

Estimate 12 per newborn baby per day, so 48, then double that would be the minimum, imo. Wash every day to avoid too full of a load, and neither of those systems really require folding so I'd use right out of the laundry basket to save time.

Nana's Bottoms would be a great option for aios. Easy to use and affordable and also available in tiny sizes since multiples can be smaller.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #29
HeatherM0529
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sounds like you have enough so far. Babies go 10-12 times a day in the newborn stages. So that would be 40-48 a day. Which is definitely 2 full loads of diapers so that would be more than enough, but then a few extra for when they're in the wash. So I think what you have sounds perfect!
Do you have enough covers too?? You'll probably want AT LEAST 20 of them.
HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #30
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty

I would absolutely not do pockets or flats for quads. You will be folding and stuffing your life away.

Prefolds eliminates the folding part, but it's still a 2-piece system. An all aplix AIO system would be best, but probably cost prohibitive.

If cost were an issue, I'd do prefolds and covers. Probably 100 prefolds minimum and 30-40 covers. The washer will only hold so many diapers, I think I've seen an average of 20-30 depending on type and size. Perhaps adding a 2nd washer would be a good idea, too.
That is why in parenthesis I put prefolds if you don't want flats
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote