Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
wholesomemomma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wonderfulboys
I persoanlly prefer larges. It may be bacause I like to fold and pin. I am not a big pad folder. The small just get too small to do certain folds. Large flats are also easy to fold down into a smaller flat and fold from there. They a bit bulkier on a smaller baby, but nothing awful. I like that they add more absorbancy as well. I can add a doubler or not, but if I use a small flat I def need a doubler. I'm sure as she grows I will need a doubler with my larges, but for now she is okay. I do have smalls and larges in my stash, but I hardly ever reach for the smalls. I only do when I get that oh I bought these I need to use them feeling. FWIW my LO is a heavy wetter.

Yay that was my thread I can show you how I folded it. I need to edit that with new pics. I'm only mobile and my app always crashed and my mobile browser stinks!

Good advice. I think I'll go with larges. I plan to have more children, so knowing that larges work for a newborn too tips the scale! And yes please show how you fold. I am a prefold gal and am new to the world of flats

Advertisement

wholesomemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
Honesty
Registered Users

Re: GMD Flats??? Should I skip small and go straight to large???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wonderfulboys View Post
I persoanlly prefer larges. It may be bacause I like to fold and pin. I am not a big pad folder. The small just get too small to do certain folds. Large flats are also easy to fold down into a smaller flat and fold from there. They a bit bulkier on a smaller baby, but nothing awful. I like that they add more absorbancy as well. I can add a doubler or not, but if I use a small flat I def need a doubler. I'm sure as she grows I will need a doubler with my larges, but for now she is okay. I do have smalls and larges in my stash, but I hardly ever reach for the smalls. I only do when I get that oh I bought these I need to use them feeling. FWIW my LO is a heavy wetter.

Yay that was my thread I can show you how I folded it. I need to edit that with new pics. I'm only mobile and my app always crashed and my mobile browser stinks!
Please do put up some pics or a video of how you do your folds. They look so perfect and for a newbie it would help to see all the diffrent folds. I looked at some videos on YouTube so I learned how to do the origami fold in the first try which was quite simple but that's as far as I got.
Honesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
2wonderfulboys
Registered Users
seller

Here are some pics
DD as a NB in a large flat

Here she is at 2 months. I am not 100% sure on her weight, but at 10 weeks she was 15lbs

Here is the fold I used, mini kite fold/newborn kite fold.

If you can't tell by those pics let me know. I will add more. I can also add more to this thread or start a new on.
2wonderfulboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
wholesomemomma
Registered Users
seller

Perfect! Thanks so much!
wholesomemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
2wonderfulboys
Registered Users
seller

Don't get me wrong I think smalls still have a place. It is just that larges can fit a smaller baby as well if needed/wanted.
2wonderfulboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
supermomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesomemomma View Post
I was wondering about GMD flats too @supermomof2 when did your babe grow out of the size small and move into large? Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread but I was just debating which size I would order for my 25-lb 20 month-old DD...

GMD rocks.
Your question has probably already been answered but here's my take on it.

The GMD smalls are great if you're padfolding. My 17-month-old 24-lb LO still uses them padfolded and they're awesome. As he gets older, I can see us starting to need to use a doubler of some sort with them.

The GMD large flats are absolutely incredible for an older baby if you're looking to do a lot of folding and pinning/snappiing. They fit my LO now padfolded and they're also great when I use an origami fold, kite fold, etc. Definitely plenty of room for him to grow and still be able to use special folds. We started using them origami folded when he was about 12 months old but could definitely have started earlier.

FWIW, in my personal stash, I have a set of smaller flats for younger babies (birth to 9 or 12 months) and I have another separate set of larger flats for older babies (12 months to PTing). But if I were limited to JUST one size out of all the flats that I had, I would probably choose the GMD small flats, just because their size (27x27 AFTER washing) makes them so versatile.

HTH!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #17
BirthdayMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm late to the party on this thread, but I do agree with everything that's been said. I really think it comes down to whether you plan to pad fold or pin/snappi. I'm a pinner, so I prefer the larges, even on a small baby. I don't feel like the larges are reasonable when pad folded until around 15 lbs, and even then, they are bulky. But before that, they're just ridiculous.

Mostly, though, my favorite fold is origami, and both my kids outgrew that fold in the smalls by a couple months old.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #18
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I personally do not like their large - it is TOO large and is always a bit off when I try to pad fold it. We have the smalls (yellow thread) and I LOVE them. They work wonderful padfolded, so trim and flat unlike a prefold which can be fluffy
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
bobbs7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have both, and the larges are MASSIVE. They are 30x30, so the size of a receiving blanket. Too bulky for newbs IMO. The smalls will fit from birth until PT'ing. I kite-fold a small on my chunky 13 month old, and there is planty of room to grow. If you did the newborn/modified kite-fold with the larges, they would be fine though. GMD flats are larger than other flats, and they are perfectly square.
'ing,'ing, part-time working out of the house, full-time in the house, mom-mom to Jackson Philip 11/28/09 , Levi Garrett 5/18/12 , and Aria Joye 4/16/14, and wife to my best friend and male clone Matthew since 10/6/06.

~forever thankful to have been saved by Grace~
bobbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
bobbs7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, when padfolding, the smalls are great, but the large makes a huge padfold. I use it on my DS for naps sometimes, but it's usually overkill, LOL! Still trimmer than PF's IMO!
'ing,'ing, part-time working out of the house, full-time in the house, mom-mom to Jackson Philip 11/28/09 , Levi Garrett 5/18/12 , and Aria Joye 4/16/14, and wife to my best friend and male clone Matthew since 10/6/06.

~forever thankful to have been saved by Grace~
bobbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote