Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Eternally Blessed
Registered Users
Talking Hello from the Texas Heat!

I'm Kinsey, and I'm 23 weeks along with our first, a baby boy. I turn the big 3-0 in September, and my husband and I will celebrate our 10 year anniversary in a few weeks. We are thrilled to be blessed with our little miracle (is there a word for something beyond a miracle? well, that's what baby Soren is... lol.) We also have 3 dogs, a Boxer and 2 Boston Terriers, who keep us quite entertained. It's a good thing we have a vet in the family .

I've been immersed in the world of cloth diapers for a few months now. How invigorating! Last week, I received my first order of fluffy mail from Kawaii diapers- I got 24 OS dipes and 48 inserts for $109.90 on sale! I'm still excited about what a good deal that was, and I haven't seen them post a sale like it on their website since. Anyway, I have the base of a stash now, and I'm okay if they turn out not to be perfect when baby comes, because at that price, I'm not so bothered! I can't WAIT to start using them-- they are set up so pretty in the nursery and I just love gazing in excitement of the time my boy will be here and I can dress him in his new fluff!

I have 4 sisters, the youngest with a 9-month baby whom I just converted to CD and LOVES it. My oldest sis has 2, one of which is 1+ yr and will be converting soon, I think. Last week, we found out that my almost-youngest sister is about 5 weeks along, and we're both set on cloth and in this together! In fact, she knows how to sew, and I'm learning, and we plan on making our own! It's addicting to research the different material options. I was at the thrift store the other day and I got 13 receiving blankets to cut up for wipes for $7.30 including tax (.60 each!) and I will get more than 100 wipes out of them. My sister and I also got some fleece and other materials to practice sewing on and we're excited to learn the ins and outs of making our own diapers. I'm glad I learned of the CD universe before we all started having too many kids. It looks like only the now 4-year-old will have gone her diapering days in disposables. The rest of the nieces and nephews have hope!

The only thing that makes me sad about cloth diapers is that they aren't more prevalent. In my family alone, if we each have 2 kids in cloth (odds are someone will have more) my sisters and I could easily save $30,000 as a group. I was just watching Sister Wives and I noticed a baby in disposables and I got SO SAD thinking of the years'-worth of hard-earned salaries that huge family has spent on disposables for all those children... just on poop catchers. If I tried to figure out the savings, I'd probably spend a long time crying for them (pregnancy hormones and all, lol.) Thinking that CD is only 5-10% of the market in the U.S. is wildly depressing, but I have hope that a swing is coming and people will open their eyes to the astounding benefits of cloth.

I'm slightly crunchy, more on the economic side of things than environmental. I just really, really, REALLY hate waste. I love ingenuity and repurposing, and I'm blessed with a husband who is handy, creative, and smart. He's actually building Soren's crib this fall (once the heat dies down some.)

It's so nice to be here and learn the ropes of CD with all of you. My plan is to go pre-folds/covers for the newborn stage (especially if Soren comes early as I'm high risk for pre-term labor...) and then transition into OS pockets. In learning to make my own, I will probably experiment, though, and have a variety. I can't wait to learn!

So, HELLO! That's a little (or not-so-little) about me. I'm open to any suggestions you may have about CD a newborn or making my own. It's nice to meet you!

Eternally Blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Hello from the Texas Heat!

PrettyinPink89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
Registered Users

Hello from a fellow Texan!
Sassybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Hi! I just thought you might like to know that OS diapers don't fit most babies from birth, so you might want to pick up some newborn diapers (at least 36 from my experience). Welcome to the community!
NewMommy6111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

Hello from Maryland
crcrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
Registered Users

-Kathy, a WOHM mom to Victoria (11/11/07) and Lukas James (11/6/2012)!
kbz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:
Hi from Houston!
Sarah, Wife to Jeremy, Mama to Aiden 5/08 Cora 1/12 and Sophie 4/14
Heirloom Quilts, T-shirt Quilts, Custom Quilts, Aprons
slyeates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Registered Users

ebbmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Registered Users
My Mood:
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, amazon-my habit, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdie
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
No Longer Here
My Mood:

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote