Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh Crap Potty Training in a nutshell

I'm trying to figure out if this method would be a good fit for us. Can anyone give me a very basic run down? Or compare it to the "3-day potty training method" just so I know what I'm getting myself into?

Advertisement

At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Oh Crap Potty Training in a nutshell

Subbing! I am planning to buy the ebook/PDF, too. I understand that it gives you "blocks" of training to complete. DH is not convinced that I need to buy the book, but I feel like PTing will go better if I have a concrete plan and am not just flying by the seat of my pants. I'd love to hear from others who have (or haven't) had success with OCPT.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also interested! I am about to start in about a month.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Covergirl
Registered Users
seller

Subbing...
Covergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Ferrum
Registered Users
seller
seller

I bought it and read it within a day, referred to it some during the one week I took off to try to PT. I also briefly scanned the 3d PT at some point.

I can't give too much specifics as I did not take notes and now am just going by memory/impression, and I have preggo brain right now.

It felt like 3d was similar to OC in most principles but OC acknowledges that most kids will take longer than 3d. Principles like teaching them what it is to pee/poop first by going naked and catching the act in a potty, watching for their cues. Then transitioning to commando, and letting them initiate going to potty instead of you putting them on potty.

OC addresses more of the situations/details that might occur and how to deal w/ it. Talks about pitfalls to avoid (say this instead of, don't make it a power struggle, use these types of distraction but not these types of rewards), and also for those that have tried unsuccessfully before how to start over, etc. What ages are easy and why.

OC is more like usable advice you might get from an experienced friend; informal and not concisely organized but there are gems in there. I might venture to say that 3d is a nutshell of OC, but with PT there are so many details and things that can go wrong that you need to know at least some details or have a place to turn to.

Looking back I can see where I went wrong based on OC. I did not want it enough (after 1 day of watching DS nonstop I got tired, I tried to do some laundry and cooking), DH was not onboard w/ naked time and commando and would throw a fit when accidents happened on the carpet, and by the end of the week I just wanted some me time and put DS back in diapers so that DH would watch him. Everyone's situation is different; I think reading OC might help u decide which is best route to go. My primary support is a very good daycare that takes DS 8-9hours daily. They managed to get him to like to use the big potty (he was afraid of it during our 1 week intensive training). I'm waiting for DS to go to the next class where they will have PT scheduled 4 times a day before I give it another shot.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ferrum that was super helpful, thank you!
At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote