Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many parent visits

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymommy View Post
Are there other agencies in your area that don't expect as much as far as transporting?
There is a larger agency that I heard had transporters but they also will only license toiu if you are willing to take at least a 7 year old and they are known to guilt trip FP to take placements. The director of our agency and a licensor go to our small church so they have told me things.

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
We transport to all visits but I think if there is a conflict sometimes transportation is available though I have been told by visitation workers that it is not done which I know for a fact is a lie.

J has 3 visits. Its a major pain because they are 12-3 so after that he comes home and passes out till I wake him up at 5 for dinner then he's back in bed at 8. It ruins the whole day.

I had a baby with 5 day a week visits including weekends. I was so stupid to agree to that.
Sorry that you have to, but yay I found someone in the same boat as I. Are you in MI? Ours are only 1 hour still, though. I think I would actually prefer longer so I could have the time with just my kiddos. The 1 hour is too short to go back home so it usually means we're stopping at the store and spending money during visits. They don't even have a room that we can hang out and wait in during a visit. Very frustrating.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had 4 a week at one point and had to stay in the building the whole 2 hour visit (special needs kiddo). Mom's visits were M/W, and Dad's were T/Th. It was awful.

My county doesn't transport to anything. We do all visits, doc appointments, therapy, etc.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivparker View Post
Sorry that you have to, but yay I found someone in the same boat as I. Are you in MI? Ours are only 1 hour still, though. I think I would actually prefer longer so I could have the time with just my kiddos. The 1 hour is too short to go back home so it usually means we're stopping at the store and spending money during visits. They don't even have a room that we can hang out and wait in during a visit. Very frustrating.
no we are in WI. 1 hour visits would be a major PITB but at least they would be over with right away...ours were 2 hours and now they are 3 which is nice because my house is 5-10 minutes from hers so i can go home and get stuff done or go shopping during visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
We had 4 a week at one point and had to stay in the building the whole 2 hour visit (special needs kiddo). Mom's visits were M/W, and Dad's were T/Th. It was awful.

My county doesn't transport to anything. We do all visits, doc appointments, therapy, etc.
did you supervise visits? i would flat out refuse to do that. i already think we have too much interaction with bios. i hate that they know where we live and our phone numbers are give out without our permission. it feels like our privacy is even more invaded...but that really goes with the territory doesn't it?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Usually they are two days a week for anywhere between 1-2 hours (how they decide that makes no sense) but I have one baby who had one hour visits M/W/F (I transported), a visit in their home for a few hours with the CW every other Tuesday night (CW transported), overnight visits from Wed afternoon through Thurs morning with paternal grandparents (grandpa transported) and all day Saturday visits with maternal grandma and mom (grandma transported). Even though I did the transporting only on the MWF visits, it was a huge disruption to our family and the only day we had guaranteed with no visit stuff was Sundays. Course, it was only six weeks (felt longer) but I couldn't have kept it up long term.

With our current baby we're adopting, I never had to transport (two visits for two hours each) because my agency is good about having the case aids transport if the bios are iffy.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I didn't supervise. They were at DCS. But he has a feeding tube and no one there was trained on rescue procedures ( it was set up 4 times to train parents and neither showed up). So I sat in the lobby for two hours four evenings a week from 6-8 ( i work full time so it couldn't be during the day). It was hell.

After DS was adopted, we didn't renew our license. Our county has no respect for the foster parents. We have way more foster parents than kids in care here, so they treat us like crap.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 07-10-2013 at 12:43 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #17
NSB
Registered Users
seller

Dad has no contact (court ordered) and mom has basically had 2 visits per week for one hour each (for 14 months). I transport to one and a visit supervisor transports to the other.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
jenfostermom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We now have once a week visitation for 3 hours for 2 yr old DFD, just decreased (after mom came to visit high as a kite) from 2x/week 2hr visits for the last year. Newbie doesn't have any visits, pretty much an abandon situation.

We transport, very rarely they will transport one way if there's a massive schedule conflict. With a past sib set placement, it was 4x/week and we had to transport. It's unfortunately just part of this whole foster gig. I hate it, but try to deal.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #19
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow!!! You guys have to deal with sooo many visits! Here standard is 1x per week for ONE hour, Regardless of age. Both my ds's 1.5 yrs and newbie only get that. I help transport sometimes but generally the workers do the transport.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
orangepiggyslittledog
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivparker View Post
Its not a judge thing. In the state of MI, all children 2 and under are required to have 3 visits a week. Even if the child was harmed by the parents. The thing is I have yet to meet another foster parent who does. They all have an excuse. They just say no to the case worker, they convince bio parent to only do two times a week, they work so they just say they can't and case worker picks them up. It is clear in the rules, that even if you work etc, you are responsible to find transportation to parent visits.but I'm the only one that I know, for both my placements that does. I think I'm just the only sucker that follows the rules. I think if their were others in the same boat as me, I would feel better.
I live in Michigan too. You are not the only one. The bio parents are required to make all visits if they do not then it looks bad on them. Also no matter what you have to get kids to visits. Working not working. I did use transportation one day a week. Mom had an extra visit with the baby (although we were grandfathered in before the law changed the judge ordered the 3rd visit) but since it was not good for the other kids they did not attend that one. 2 and under 3x a week 3-5 2x a week 6 and older 1x a month. Most the time the bio parents dont want or make it to all the visits then you can get out of it. Like our case after bio mom stepped out of the picture dad was suppose to keep all the visits and he only wanted one day a week. Which showed he didnt care. now kids are not going home to dad either and we are working on adopting them.
Which agency do you go through?