Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Mommieof3monkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cystocele/Vaginal Prolapse During Pregnancy

Has anyone experienced this during pregnancy? I am almost 18 weeks pregnant with my 5th child, all my babies have been decent size ranging from almost 7lbs to an upwards of almost 10lbs. All my deliverys have been c-sections.

I recently started feeling like I had something stuck in my vagina. I felt inside my vagina and I felt a soft ridgy feeling mass that felt like it was attached to the back wall. With minor pressure when sitting down I can feel this mass begin to protude a bit, almost coming out of the vaginal opening.

So I was a bit freaked out, called the OB's office and they put the nurse on the phone who then said oh that's not an emergency most likely your bladder is prolapsed into your vagina. When you come in for your next visit just make sure you tell the doctor who will exam you to give you an idea of the degree of prolapse but there is nothing that can be done during pregnancy.

Her lack of urgency has really freaked me out, is this an emergency? Or is it common? I'm feeling really confused and pretty scared at the moment.

Advertisement

Amanda wife to Brandon and mama to 4 little ones. L 2005, E, 2008 S, 2010, T 2011, and expecting #5 in December after tubal ligation He's here 12/20/13 So very blessed!
Mommieof3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Cystocele/Vaginal Prolapse During Pregnancy

If the protrusion is from the back wall of your vagina, it is likely a rectocele (the back wall is loose & prolapses in allowing part of your rectum to push against in & collapse into the vaginal space). It sounds grosser than it really is.

You should get it checked out to see if you should be doing things differently to help prevent it from getting worse, but it is not an emergency.

TMI warning - I have one - noticed it about 5 months post-partum from my last birth. I learned to support the back wall at times, and there were some other exercises I should be doing daily. A pelvic floor physiotherapist may be able to help.

ETA: when I first found mine I FREAKED RIGHT OUT! So that part is normal, too. Since finding it I've found 7 friends in real life that have one, too, and all of us don't really care/notice it anymore.

Last edited by MsGiggles; 07-24-2013 at 11:55 AM.
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Mommieof3monkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I say back wall it feels like it is on the vaginal wall closest to my back. I've noticed some slight lower back discomfort when I sit for long periods of time. So maybe TMI but what does it feel like? Mine is fleshy and it feels rather large and like it has ridges on it, it takes up much of my vaginal opening.

She said to mention it when I go back in in two weeks and they will examine me.
Amanda wife to Brandon and mama to 4 little ones. L 2005, E, 2008 S, 2010, T 2011, and expecting #5 in December after tubal ligation He's here 12/20/13 So very blessed!
Old 07-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Don't worry, seriously it's not a big deal. I have a cystocele, rectocele and a perineocele and they haven't bothered me in the least. A great DVD is called hab-it. It's an exercise video by a physical therapist who had a severe cystocele and she basically cured herself. Also, the book "ever since I had my baby" is really good as well. Pelvic prolapse is insanely common. I read a study(ill try to find it) that showed that among postpartum moms 94% had a prolapse. It's a fairly normal part of aging.
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
omahamama731
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have a cystocele. During pregnancy it feels weird, but it isn't painful for me. It is bothersome for a few weeks after each baby is born, but once swelling goes away for good, it doesn't bother me much. I've had 4 vaginal births in 7 years. My midwife said I would be a candidate for pelvic floor surgery once we're for sure done having babies, but I'd like to try PT first.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #6
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommieof3monkeys View Post
When I say back wall it feels like it is on the vaginal wall closest to my back. I've noticed some slight lower back discomfort when I sit for long periods of time. So maybe TMI but what does it feel like? Mine is fleshy and it feels rather large and like it has ridges on it, it takes up much of my vaginal opening.

She said to mention it when I go back in in two weeks and they will examine me.

Definitely sounds like a prolapsed rectocele. Can you physically push the fleshy part back? My PT calls that "supporting the wall" and instructs to do that any time you are having a BM or straining for any reason.
Have you tried lying on your back for an extended time & checking again (mine would "fall back" into place for a bit ...but standing, walking, sitting would often shift it forward again).

It's a good idea to up your dietary fiber to help keep that pocket as empty as possible so it doesn't continue to stretch the back wall skin.
Having said that, all my knowledge comes from seeing a pelvic floor physiotherapist OUTSIDE of being PG. Could be different rules apply when you are PG.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd definitely talk to your provider about it and see if he or she can recommend a physical therapist to help support those muscles. In the meantime, you can start doing Kegels to strengthen your pelvic floor to help keep everything in place.

I don't think they use them in pregnancy because of the risk of introducing bacteria (which is minimal if you are careful about cleaning it), but they make things called a pessary which you insert into your vagina to physically hold your vaginal walls in place and keep your bladder, rectum, and/or cervix/uterus from falling into that space. As mentioned, this is pretty common because of all the increased pressure from pregnancy, but usually it happens after delivery from the coached pushing they want you to do. If you are careful to not push too hard and let your uterus do most of the work, it's less likely to cause prolapses. I find it funny that they always say never strain when you are pooping or you will get hemorrhoids, but then they tell you the exact opposite for birthing a baby, which is a similar physiologic process and can have similar repercussions from pushing too hard too fast.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Mommieof3monkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGiggles View Post
Definitely sounds like a prolapsed rectocele. Can you physically push the fleshy part back? My PT calls that "supporting the wall" and instructs to do that any time you are having a BM or straining for any reason.
Have you tried lying on your back for an extended time & checking again (mine would "fall back" into place for a bit ...but standing, walking, sitting would often shift it forward again).

It's a good idea to up your dietary fiber to help keep that pocket as empty as possible so it doesn't continue to stretch the back wall skin.
Having said that, all my knowledge comes from seeing a pelvic floor physiotherapist OUTSIDE of being PG. Could be different rules apply when you are PG.
I have not tried to push it back, when I felt it it feels like it's attached. At first I thought maybe this is how it normally feels in there but then I noticed when I bear down a this fleshy mass moves forward and takes up the vaginal opening. It's really the strangest thing i've ever experienced thus far.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommieof3monkeys View Post
... I noticed when I bear down a this fleshy mass moves forward and takes up the vaginal opening. It's really the strangest thing i've ever experienced thus far.
In this case, you should be assisting that back vaginal wall with a clean hand any time you bear down. That will help prevent the wall from stretching further (you want to avoid the tissues getting stretched out).
Old 07-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGiggles View Post
In this case, you should be assisting that back vaginal wall with a clean hand any time you bear down. That will help prevent the wall from stretching further (you want to avoid the tissues getting stretched out).

This is good advice. You might also want to try tucking your tailbone in a little when you go number two
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote