Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
2wonderfulboys's Avatar
2wonderfulboys
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,169
AMP/AppleCheeks sizing help

LO is just shy of 4 months. I don't know her exact weight but if I had to guess it would be 16+lbs. She can still fit into small covers. Smalls are getting snug and mediums are big. She can wear a thirsties duo 1 fully unsnapped, but not sure how much longer. Should I get her a size 1 or 2 in the AMP/Applecheeks?

Advertisement

2wonderfulboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
AmandaA
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 527
Re: AMP/AppleCheeks sizing help

Thirsties covers are about the only thing I haven't tried. But I can tell you that I stuff my size 1's with a size 1 thirsties prefold and it fits perfect. The jump to a size 2 is pretty big. Dd is almost 8 months and just over 15.5lbs and a size 1 fits great. The 2's are still too big for her. Do you use any grovias, RaR's, blueberry/swaddlebees, or bumgenius? I could snap pictures of them compared to one those if it would be helpful.
AmandaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
2wonderfulboys's Avatar
2wonderfulboys
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaA View Post
Thirsties covers are about the only thing I haven't tried. But I can tell you that I stuff my size 1's with a size 1 thirsties prefold and it fits perfect. The jump to a size 2 is pretty big. Dd is almost 8 months and just over 15.5lbs and a size 1 fits great. The 2's are still too big for her. Do you use any grovias, RaR's, blueberry/swaddlebees, or bumgenius? I could snap pictures of them compared to one those if it would be helpful.
I have a grovia and some flips! That would be awesome!
2wonderfulboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
AmandaA
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 527
Re: AMP/AppleCheeks sizing help

Here are some comparison picks with a GroVia shell. They are cut narrow through the crotch like a GroVia. And they both work well used as a cover, instead of stuffing, over a prefold or flat if you prefer that method. The front elastic is nice for helping keep the diaper contained if you use them that way too compared to other covers I have.

Size 1 AMP vs. GroVia on the smallest rise




Size 2 AC vs GroVia completely unsnapped





Size 1 AMP vs. Size 2 AC



The cut and size of the AMP and AC's are virtually identical as best I can tell when I compare them in the same size. I think the fit is a little different though. When I have lined them up exactly, the placement of the thigh snaps is ever so slightly different making the AMPs a little roomier IMO. I also think that the AMPs are overall a little more stretchy. The center opening of the AC doesn't bother me like I thought it would and doesn't cause too much trouble when spraying the dirty ones. One plus for me is that the inserts do agitate out in my FL'er, so I don't unstuff my AC's which is a bonus. I think that the only downside for me with both diapers is the huge jump between sizes since they essentially skip that middle rise setting on a comparable OS diaper. For that reason, I have started to make sure that I have a decent stash of OS covers and pockets that I can use in the interim if DD isn't able to go right from the 1's to the 2's. I haven't tried the OS AMP's so I'm not sure how they compare to the sized version, but that might be worth a shot if you are between sizes or unsure how long a 1 would last. There are several retailers in the states that carry the OS, just no one with the sized that I was able to find. Hope this helps!

Last edited by AmandaA; 07-23-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: typo
AmandaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
vivid's Avatar
vivid
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaA
Here are some comparison picks with a GroVia shell. They are cut narrow through the crotch like a GroVia. And they both work well used as a cover, instead of stuffing, over a prefold or flat if you prefer that method. The front elastic is nice for helping keep the diaper contained if you use them that way too compared to other covers I have.

Size 1 AMP vs. GroVia on the smallest rise




Size 2 AC vs GroVia completely unsnapped





Size 1 AMP vs. Size 2 AC



The cut and size of the AMP and AC's are virtually identical as best I can tell when I compare them in the same size. I think the fit is a little different though. When I have lined them up exactly, the placement of the thigh snaps is ever so slightly different making the AMPs a little roomier IMO. I also think that the AMPs are overall a little more stretchy. The center opening of the AC doesn't bother me like I thought it would and doesn't cause too much trouble when spraying the dirty ones. One plus for me is that the inserts do agitate out in my FL'er, so I don't unstuff my AC's which is a bonus. I think that the only downside for me with both diapers is the huge jump between sizes since they essentially skip that middle rise setting on a comparable OS diaper. For that reason, I have started to make sure that I have a decent stash of OS covers and pockets that I can use in the interim if DD isn't able to go right from the 1's to the 2's. I haven't tried the OS AMP's so I'm not sure how they compare to the sized version, but that might be worth a shot if you are between sizes or unsure how long a 1 would last. There are several retailers in the states that carry the OS, just no one with the sized that I was able to find. Hope this helps!
Huh that's an interesting point about sized AMPs and ACs skipping the "middle snap" setting of OS diapers. My baby is 15 months and 25lbs and has been in the middle snap setting since she was 4 months old. That seems like a big size to skip!

I don't have any sized AMPs so I'm no help, but we do have the OS version. They are a bit bulkier than a BG 4.0 but the ruffled legs and waist make it look soooo comfy! I don't love the snap-down rise (2 snaps vs 3 that are on other OS) - it kind of puffs out in the middle without that 3rd rise snap. But not a deal breaker. I don't use these diapers under leggings or jeans so really I don't care.
vivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
2wonderfulboys's Avatar
2wonderfulboys
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaA View Post
Here are some comparison picks with a GroVia shell. They are cut narrow through the crotch like a GroVia. And they both work well used as a cover, instead of stuffing, over a prefold or flat if you prefer that method. The front elastic is nice for helping keep the diaper contained if you use them that way too compared to other covers I have.

Size 1 AMP vs. GroVia on the smallest rise




Size 2 AC vs GroVia completely unsnapped





Size 1 AMP vs. Size 2 AC



The cut and size of the AMP and AC's are virtually identical as best I can tell when I compare them in the same size. I think the fit is a little different though. When I have lined them up exactly, the placement of the thigh snaps is ever so slightly different making the AMPs a little roomier IMO. I also think that the AMPs are overall a little more stretchy. The center opening of the AC doesn't bother me like I thought it would and doesn't cause too much trouble when spraying the dirty ones. One plus for me is that the inserts do agitate out in my FL'er, so I don't unstuff my AC's which is a bonus. I think that the only downside for me with both diapers is the huge jump between sizes since they essentially skip that middle rise setting on a comparable OS diaper. For that reason, I have started to make sure that I have a decent stash of OS covers and pockets that I can use in the interim if DD isn't able to go right from the 1's to the 2's. I haven't tried the OS AMP's so I'm not sure how they compare to the sized version, but that might be worth a shot if you are between sizes or unsure how long a 1 would last. There are several retailers in the states that carry the OS, just no one with the sized that I was able to find. Hope this helps!
Thank you!!! That was so helpful. Is there enough coverage to pin a flat under, or only tri/padfolding will work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid View Post

Huh that's an interesting point about sized AMPs and ACs skipping the "middle snap" setting of OS diapers. My baby is 15 months and 25lbs and has been in the middle snap setting since she was 4 months old. That seems like a big size to skip!

I don't have any sized AMPs so I'm no help, but we do have the OS version. They are a bit bulkier than a BG 4.0 but the ruffled legs and waist make it look soooo comfy! I don't love the snap-down rise (2 snaps vs 3 that are on other OS) - it kind of puffs out in the middle without that 3rd rise snap. But not a deal breaker. I don't use these diapers under leggings or jeans so really I don't care.
I was just wondering how they fit under clothes.
2wonderfulboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
AmandaA
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 527
Re: AMP/AppleCheeks sizing help

I have tried flats on dd with the size 1 and it really just depends on your flat. A geffen baby worked fine because they are pretty trim. But she didn't have enough room for my brown cow cotton flats (26" square or so and a really thick cotton interlock). For ds who wears the size 2's I have only pad folded flats in them and that worked just fine. Both fit nice under clothes on my kids but they are pretty trim kids and we need the extra bulk to hold up their pants.
AmandaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
2wonderfulboys's Avatar
2wonderfulboys
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,169
My brown cow cotton are my favorite flats! I am guessing I'm just going to have to bite the bullet on this and buy a 1 and 2. I need to find somewhere I can return if the 1 is too small. Maybe Nickis?
2wonderfulboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
2wonderfulboys's Avatar
2wonderfulboys
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaA View Post
I have tried flats on dd with the size 1 and it really just depends on your flat. A geffen baby worked fine because they are pretty trim. But she didn't have enough room for my brown cow cotton flats (26" square or so and a really thick cotton interlock). For ds who wears the size 2's I have only pad folded flats in them and that worked just fine. Both fit nice under clothes on my kids but they are pretty trim kids and we need the extra bulk to hold up their pants.
Thanks for being so helpful!
2wonderfulboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
vivid's Avatar
vivid
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wonderfulboys

Thank you!!! That was so helpful. Is there enough coverage to pin a flat under, or only tri/padfolding will work?

I was just wondering how they fit under clothes.
Totally depends on what you stuff with, I'd say! With Flip flats inside she can wear anything. With imagine bamboo flats inside they are not great with trim/non-stretchy pants but fine with cotton shorts and leggings. With the AMP bamboo inserts she can wear anything too.
vivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.