Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
steely_cass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Snack Ideas

I'm needing some new snack ideas for DD. It appears she has recently developed a peanut allergy. Until we get to the doctor next month, we're avoiding all nuts. Unfortunately, nuts were her favorite snack.

Normally I gave her fresh fruit and nuts/peanut butter or cheese as a snack. Just the fruit and she's starving 10 minutes later. She can't have much cheese either without becoming constipated.

What are some other things with fat & protein that I could give her?

Advertisement

and Wilder (July '14)
steely_cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Snack Ideas

Can she do seeds? Sunbutter is a great pb/nut alternative and is made out of sunflower seeds
Old 07-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Fruit digests and empties from the tummy in minutes. It's not that great of a "healthy snack" when eaten too often. Lots of fructose, a little vitamin c and a tiny bit of fiber.

Soy can cause allergic reactions to those allergic to peanuts. I would avoid soy more avidly than treenuts/seeds. Soy and peanuts are legumes.

You could chop fruit up and serve in a bowl of cream.

Greek yogurt with a little powdered sugar makes a good fruit dip.

Smoothies with coconut oil, yogurt, fruit and veggies. Avocado, spinach and tomoatoes work well. (Blueberries cover the green).

Raw cheese is likely to not cause constipation. At least that's my experience with my dairy sensitive son. Processed cheese would clog him up every time, but raw never did.

Bacon Precook a bunch and keep it in the fridge
Old 07-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
steely_cass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdmama*3 View Post
Can she do seeds? Sunbutter is a great pb/nut alternative and is made out of sunflower seeds
I think she probably can. I've just been avoiding them since she seems to have suddenly developed this peanut thing. She's 5, and suddenly started getting diarrhea a lot. Then I figured out it was every time she had peanut butter, but not when she had the actual nuts. Now it's both. I'm trying to be cautious until we see her doctor next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime.mommy View Post
Fruit digests and empties from the tummy in minutes. It's not that great of a "healthy snack" when eaten too often. Lots of fructose, a little vitamin c and a tiny bit of fiber.

Soy can cause allergic reactions to those allergic to peanuts. I would avoid soy more avidly than treenuts/seeds. Soy and peanuts are legumes.

Do you think I should be avoiding beans too for the legume? We eat a ton of beans and they don't seem to be bothering her, but I also don't want to aggravate anything.

You could chop fruit up and serve in a bowl of cream.

Greek yogurt with a little powdered sugar makes a good fruit dip.

She won't just eat yogurt, but might dip it. We'll give it a shot. This also reminded me I could use greek yogurt in baking to up the protein. Maybe we'll do some sort of muffin.

Smoothies with coconut oil, yogurt, fruit and veggies. Avocado, spinach and tomoatoes work well. (Blueberries cover the green).

Raw cheese is likely to not cause constipation. At least that's my experience with my dairy sensitive son. Processed cheese would clog him up every time, but raw never did.

Where do you get raw cheese? She LOVES cheese! I'm always having to cut her off so she's not sick.

Bacon Precook a bunch and keep it in the fridge

Now this one, I KNOW she would go for!
Thanks for the ideas! I'm so thrown off not being able to do our normal banana and granola, piece of fruit and trail mix, or crackers and peanut butter routine.
and Wilder (July '14)
Old 07-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Organic Valley has a few raw cheeses.

Some regular grocery stores carry it and other brands in the "fancy" specialty cheese section.

If I can't find it at grocery stores, azure standard has a few kinds and realmilk.com lists farms and co-ops state-by-state that sell raw dairy.

Beans I don't know much about. Only a small portion of kids are allergic to peanuts and beans. But I know soy is causing surprise reactions, probably as it becomes more common as a food additive.

I forgot I had a greek yogurt that was blended with roasted red peppers and a slight bit of spiciness and it was really good with veggies. Could probably make a thick ranchy type dip too, with parsley, garlic, onion salt and pepper.

Last edited by sublime.mommy; 07-24-2013 at 01:58 PM.
sublime.mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hummus and pita
Avocado
Hard boiled eggs
Rolled up deli meats
Frozen Greek yogurt tubes
Smoothies (we use fruit, protien powder, and Green Vibrance)
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you making granola? DD loves granola and granola bars. We are both peanut and dairy free. My dd has a class 6 peanut allergy but does not have any issue with any other legumes. Since 2 years old (she will be 6 on Friday). She does or did have 2 fruit allergies though (she just recently out grew a coconut allergy which is a fruit not a nut). Dairy intolerance since 6 weeks old. DD does eat blue diamond almonds- she is not allergic to almonds and they are guaranteed peanut free. Only tree nut we have been able to find that is.

Anyway, typical snacks for us are: crackers and a veggie- carrots or red peppers usually, olives, granola bars http://allrecipes.com/recipe/playgroup-granola-bars/ we reduce the sugar and use part whole wheat flour (this is the basic recipe we use, we usually add dried cranberries, coconut flakes and chocolate chips) , wowbutter (soy nut butter fake peanut butter) with apples, crackers and ham or salami, baked apple chips, just fruit (my dd is usually ok with just fruit. Boiled egg people (you make faces with carrots, red peppers and olives), yogurt with granola (basic recipe minus the nuts), she likes muffins and sweet breads for snacks too, chips and salsa, chips and guac, homemade chex mix (the pre made stuff usually has something nut in it), If you have them available to you and are interested in premade products Enjoy Life and Lucy's are peanut/tree nut free. Enjoy life are top 8 free. Their chocolate chips are awesome. I am not a big fan of their bars but dd likes them and that is all that matters.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
steely_cass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
[QUOTE="jbug_4"] Are you making granola? [QUOTE]

I do make our granola myself. Of course I had just made a big batch of it full of nuts when I figured out what was causing her issues. I'm planning to make her some nut free, but the oats I have have the peanut warning on them.

Thanks for all the ideas! She loves olives and hard boiled eggs. And someone mentioned hummus. I haven't tried that with her in a while but it's worth a shot.

I just feel bad for her. I feel like I'm taking away her favorite thing. I explained to her that it hurts her belly but she said it didn't make it hurt THAT bad.
and Wilder (July '14)
Old 07-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #9
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just feel bad for her. I feel like I'm taking away her favorite thing. I explained to her that it hurts her belly but she said it didn't make it hurt THAT bad. [/QUOTE]

It won't make you feel any better I feel guilt too, even though dd has never had nuts or peanuts (her first reaction is suspected contact- someone touched her with peanut something on their hands, she has never eaten a peanut). Her peanut allergy is life threatening and she knows that so she doesn't push it. She doesn't even care about what she can't have when it comes to peanuts. But I feel bad. We are peanut free in our house so its not in her face. The dairy though- even though she has not had dairy since 1 she does beg for cheese sometimes. her brother can eat it but we try to minimize the cheese just so we're not denying her all the time. We've tried alternative cheese sauces but she is so use to having noodles and stuff plain she doesn't like anything saucy. But when she sees her bubba eating cheese she wants some. Dairy is an intolerance for her and it causes GI symptoms. we're pretty honest with her and we do tell her that when she is older she can make the choice to eat dairy and suffer the consequences or not. But for now WE don't want her in pain. She accepts that pretty well. Doesn't hurt that the last time her teacher slipped up and gave her pudding she ended up having a nasty accident on the floor- not something a 5 year old wants. Because her intolerance was present at 6 weeks but not diagnosed until 1 she ended up with some significant gross motor delays and had to have PT for 2 years. Until recently we were just as strict on dairy as we were peanuts (except we didn't have to worry about cross contamination). One thing that does help is minimizing everyone elses' intake. Feels a lot more fair. I am glad that all ours came about before dd's second b-day, she hardly remembers stuff that she could eat that she can't know. One of her fruit allergies was a daily favorite until she had a reaction. I think she remembers that reaction because she started refusing it before we figured out it was the fruit and not something else.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I forgot applesauce and graham crackers
yogurt melts- which is really just frozen yogurt drops but its a novelty and even at 5 (omg she'll be 6 tomorrow , where did my baby go?) she gets excited over them. I just line a baking sheet with parchment paper and plop quarter sized dobs of yogurt on it. Freeze until solid and then put them in a ziplock bag- obviously store in the freezer. They melt really quickly so only a few at a time and definitely at the table. you can make it with any kind of yogurt- soy, coconut or dairy).