Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
baking bread - what am I doing wrong?

I am hoping to start making all (or most) of our bread, and am trying out different recipes. I've made three separate recipes now, and, while the results taste fine, I'm having one consistent problem: Right through the middle of the loaf is a line where it seems to be more stretched out and not quite as dense as the top and bottom - the best way I can think of to describe it is that it's like when you pull Silly Putty a little, and you have two thicker bits on each end and a thin bit in the middle. So when I cut through the loaf, it separates at that line. Not a big deal for toast, but it won't work out well at all for sandwiches. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong, or what might be causing this to happen?

~kathryn~ quilter, lazy gardener, wife to Joe, SAHM to sweet, sensitive Sam 3/06 and feisty Alex 11/10
still missing my lost angels - 11/07 * 5/08 * 9/08 * 12/08
ktarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: baking bread - what am I doing wrong?

Is it an actual hole in the bread? Once I (accidentally) made a loaf that we refer to as "purse bread". It looked like a purse with a handle. Two things I was able to think of that could cause that are 1) when I rolled out the bread, I did it on a counter that had been oiled- I think this made the surface of the dough too greasy that it didn't stick to itself once rolled up. Thus the separate layers, and the hole... and 2) possibly not rolling it up tight enough. You don't need to apply tons of pressure, but you need to roll it enough that there are no air gaps inside.

Here is a bread tutorial that I made one time. Let me know if you have any questions, I have made bread tons of times and love it!
Busy homeschooling mama to my 3 cute kiddos

My cooking blog-
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: baking bread - what am I doing wrong?

I think you might be letting it rise just a little too long, but honestly I wouldn't worry about such a small inconsistency. You are not baking under identical circumstances like a bread factory does, you will get small variances.
RebeccaLynne is offline   Reply With Quote